Finally listening to my wife....

whydonttheywrite
whydonttheywrite Posts: 18
edited 3:38AM in Introduce Yourself
Hello, thought I'd write a little something here. I'm 29 years old, with my wife and 3 children. I started gaining weight around 2003 back then I was 22 and weighed in around 200 pounds which was a healthy weight for me at 6'2, but something began to happen, I got out of the military and didn't have that constant push to stay in shape or a weight requirement to meet, and quite honestly I let myself go rather quickly.

Then the lousy process began of realizing I was gaining weight and then deciding I was gonna lose it all. The problem was I'd go so crazy gung-ho into lifting weights, running, and eating like a bird that I would make extreme results very quickly losing 40 pounds in a couple months, but would quickly lose complete interest as it took every spare minute of my day to keep up that pace. I think over the past 8 years like many people I've had numerous losses and gains in weight. Gone from 200 to 240 then from 240 to 200, then back to 260, back to 230, up to 270, and well you get the idea. I currently weigh in around 320 pounds, and every day I have a new plan to start losing weight, but every day I seem to gain a little more.

Well I'm finally listening to my wife and taking it slow, exercising but not looking to go crazy with everything and quit in two weeks and finally realizing that I can eat things as long as I keep it in moderation (that's a hard thing for me), I figure all my ideas of lose weight in the past resulted in nothing more than 1 step forward and 2 steps back, so I think I'll listen for once and try it her way....

One question for anyone who would like, how often do you all weigh in to check your progress?

Replies

• Bella0608
    Bella0608 Posts: 196 Member
    Hi and welcome
    I check once a week on a saturday morning although I do sometimes have a sneeky peek at the scales midweek :)
    Claire
  • sojojoshua
    sojojoshua Posts: 37
    Hi... I weigh 3 to 4 times a day... u might think iam crazy but that is the only way i can keep track.. I lost 28 kg (that is more than 50 pounds) more than a year back and Iam still maintaining coz I monitor my weight on a daily basis (or shud I say hourly basis)
    also, I totally understand ur problem with moderation... I too have the same problem... I sometimes Indulge... so for me, keeping away from what I love/crave is the safer option. So eating healthy and exercise... and maybe indulge during weekend and put in exra effort during the week.... it does help. save calories everyday for ur cheat day or something like that...
  • gr8birdie
    gr8birdie Posts: 42 Member
    I weigh in about once a week. The bigger test for me is cloths. I have some cloths that didn't fit and now they do. Remember we gain muscle mass which will not show a loss on a scale. Just start eating healthy and you will see progress.....this is a lifestyle change not a diet! Add me if you want!!!
  • cgd67
    cgd67 Posts: 188 Member
    Once a week for me too... less of the yo-yo effect!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    I weigh in once a week on Mondays. Have found it keeps me accountable on the weekends when it seems like everyone that I have talked to wants to cheat. Good luck to you!
  • tracey2710
    tracey2710 Posts: 197 Member
    hiya - once a week, every Friday morning.
  • Thanks everyone for your replies I'm thinking once a week will probably work best for me like most of you said
This discussion has been closed.