Multivitamin

Options
TylerWhiite
TylerWhiite Posts: 108 Member
Does anyone have a recommended multivitamin to take? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Honestly anything generic. Don't spend a bunch of money on a vitamin. Look at them more as "insurance" when paired with a balanced diet. I take a multi every day, but just a generic brand. They can get expensive
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I take equate multi vitamin chews. A bottle of 150 chews is under 10$ and you only need 2 a day. I get mine at walmart.
  • amber76bailey
    amber76bailey Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I actually spend alot on my vitamins because I wasn't feeling any effects and peeing them right out! PM me if you would like the brands. I get thrm at my local health food store (not GNC or vitamin world) I take a multi with added minerals, a B complex and D3 liquid drops 4,000 iu per drop! All are liquid form. I've noticed I'm holding on to them not peeing them out! I finally am starting to feel normal. So yeah generic is cheaper but what's the point if your body isn't even breaking down 90% of them and your dump them in the toilet? ?
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I like the myKind Organics from Garden of Life and the various multivitamins from Megafood, since they're both whole-food vitamins and they both come from great companies. That said, I don't currently take a multi. I focus more on probiotics and supplements to benefit digestive health, since a multi won't do you any good if your gut is screwed up and you're not digesting your food properly.
  • Spike_G
    Spike_G Posts: 149 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I actually spend alot on my vitamins because I wasn't feeling any effects and peeing them right out! PM me if you would like the brands. I get thrm at my local health food store (not GNC or vitamin world) I take a multi with added minerals, a B complex and D3 liquid drops 4,000 iu per drop! All are liquid form. I've noticed I'm holding on to them not peeing them out! I finally am starting to feel normal. So yeah generic is cheaper but what's the point if your body isn't even breaking down 90% of them and your dump them in the toilet? ?

I don't wish to appear rude but how do you know? Did you/do you have your urine tested?
    Can you provide any evidence that generic vitamins are not broken down in the body efficiently and higher cost ones are?
    Anecdotal evidence isn't valid btw.

Edit: There is very little evidence that multivitamins are particularly efficacious anyway. See:
    http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/news/20131216/experts-dont-waste-your-money-on-multivitamins?page=2
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Spike_G wrote: »

Edit: There is very little evidence that multivitamins are particularly efficacious anyway. See:
    http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/news/20131216/experts-dont-waste-your-money-on-multivitamins?page=2

The first study in this articale was on 65yr old men and they were only testing their memory over the phone. They didn't do blood tests or urine tests. Where are the studies on normal people taking multi vitamins just to get the vitamins in their diet, not as preventative medicine or for memory loss.

I take a multi vitamin with iron (as I'm slightly anaemic) and I am no longer anaemic so my body must be absorbing something.
  • Spike_G
    Options
    Spike_G wrote: »

The first study in this articale was on 65yr old men and they were only testing their memory over the phone. They didn't do blood tests or urine tests. Where are the studies on normal people taking multi vitamins just to get the vitamins in their diet, not as preventative medicine or for memory loss.

I take a multi vitamin with iron (as I'm slightly anaemic) and I am no longer anaemic so my body must be absorbing something.

I did say not particularly efficacious rather than useless (my wife has had severe anemia due to medical problems and now she is back on an even keel also takes iron supplements, so I'm well aware of the good that supplements can do)

There is indeed something to be said for vitamin supplements usage to plug the gaps in people's diet but it's certainly not the panacea that some in the health industry push it as.

You're right about the study btw, I imagine there are others with wider demographics but it's often difficult to find things that are not industry sponsored. :)
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Sorry @Spike_G that wasn't a dig at you, I just thought it was amusing how they didn't do any tests on the men other than over the phone :)
  • Spike_G
    Options
    Sorry @Spike_G that wasn't a dig at you, I just thought it was amusing how they didn't do any tests on the men other than over the phone :)

No offence taken at all Helen. :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    My mother always said "if you eat the foods you're supposed to, you don't need vitamins." I personally think they are over rated and most of them probably go down the toilet without being absorbed.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    rainbow light men's one a day
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    when I do take them, Source Natural's Life Force
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I take a generic multivitamin every day - one for people "over 50". They have the same ingredients (or close enough) to Centrum, but cost less. Equate brand is Walmart's generic.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'd rather eat good food than take a pill. That being said, since I'm allergic to dairy, I do take a calcium supplement because it's hard to get all I need, especially while being in a calorie deficit. And while my nutrition says I'm a little low on iron intake, I know I make up the difference from cooking everything in cast iron.
  • prettyoungsis
    prettyoungsis Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I say get a liquid multivitamin and make sure it's from food not made in a label non GMO organic real food vitamins.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Equate multivitamin = .04 cents a pill.
    Hard to eat right every single day.