Beginner to Lifting Weights - When to add in Cardio?

If I am wanting to lose weight and tone up by lifting weights and doing cardio how many days a week should I add in cardio?

I am going to attempt to do this schedule each week.... and was thinking of maybe adding in cardio for 30 minutes on Tuesdays and Thursdays

Monday: Glutes

Circuit 1
Squats 3 x 10
Super Wide Leg Press 3 x 10
Cable Kickbacks 3 x 10

Circuit 2
Barbell Hip Thrust 3 x 10
Walking Lunges 3 x 15
Single Legged Leg Press 3 x 10

Tuesday: Hamstrings

Circuit 1
Stiff Legged Dumbbell Deadlifts 3 x 10-12
Lying Leg Curls 3 x 10

Circuit 2

Glute Ham Raises 3 x 10
Lying Ham Curls with Exercise Ball 3 x 15
Seated Leg Curl 3 x 10

Wednesday: Upper Body

Circuit 1

Pull Ups (Resistance Band Assistance) 3 x Failure
Seated Cable Row 3 x 15
Dumbbell Renegade Rows 3 x 10

Circuit 2
Dips 2 x 10-12
Front Raises 2 x 15 (Superset)
Side Lateral Raises 2 x 15
Cable Crossovers 2 x 10
Push Ups 2 x 10

Thursday: Quads

Circuit 1

Front Squats 3 x 10
Narrow Stance Leg Press 3 x 10
Leg Extensions 3 x 10

Circuit 2
Dumbbell Walking Lunges 3 x 15
Dumbbell Step Ups 3 x 10 (Each Leg)

Friday: Full Body/Plyos

Circuit 1

Front Squats into Shoulder Press 3 x 20
Jumping Lunges 3 x 20
Kettlebell Swings 3 x 20

Circuit 2
Burpees 3 x 20
Alternating Med Ball Push Ups 3 x 20
Box Jumps 3 x 15

Replies

• Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Would have to agree, this is an odd split. As a beginner you will get the moat benefit from a solid full body workout that should include, lunges, squats deadlifts. You can then add cardio on the off days or any other time that is convenient. You can lose weight simply by reducing your calories and incorporating some cardio. Weight lifting will help you gain strength and build some muscle. So, think about what you want to achieve and tailor your programme to that goal! Happy to help
  • Barry84LDN
    Barry84LDN Posts: 1 Member
    Presuming this is your first time lifting, you're making it too complicated. A 5 day split targeting individual muscle groups is more for intermediate - advanced lifters who have advanced past the beginner workouts,

You would be far better off doing a proven starter routine like Starting Strength or StrongLifts, one that is only 3 days a week (you need rest days, the above from never having lifted before will make you exhausted) and targets larger muscle groups. Cardio can be done whenever you like around a program like SS and you'll actually have the energy too still do it!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited May 2016
    That sounds like a routine that may be too hard to sustain, especially if you're just starting out...My workouts include 4-5 days of cardio, with at least 2 of them including weights/kettlebells/resistance workouts as well. Lifting weights won't help you to lose weight (you actually don't burn very many calories lifting), but lifting will help you to burn fat faster, and shape your body nicely. Cardio will help you to burn calories faster, and create a larger deficit (thereby ensuring weight loss). In the end, weight loss happens mainly in the kitchen. Be sure to create a large enough deficit (burn more calories than you eat)..When losing, I try to create at least a 500 calorie deficit each day, or 3500 a week (easier to control).

And I just took another look at your routine, you may not be able to walk after Thursday, let alone attempt Friday. Where are your rest days? You realize they are crucial for muscle growth/repair?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited May 2016
    I lift 4x a week...I do cardio 6-7x a week.

if I run it's on non leg days.

ETA: I agree that program is cumbersome and if I were you I would check out Strong lifts or starting strength...
  • Lesly_Barrett_1209
    Lesly_Barrett_1209 Posts: 96 Member
    Thank you for all the input! I found the workout schedule online. I didn't put it together as I know nothing about lifting weights. It's new territory for me but something I want to start doing regularly. I planned on having my rest days on Saturday and Sunday. Is it better to split it up? For example workout 2 days, rest, workout 3 days, rest... Etc? Or does it matter as long as there are rest days?

I will look in to the programs you all mentioned and try to simplify it down a bit. Thanks again for the help!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    I personally split my rest days, one in the middle of the week, and usually Sunday....otherwise the muscles I'm working won't get a break for too many days.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Thank you for all the input! I found the workout schedule online. I didn't put it together as I know nothing about lifting weights. It's new territory for me but something I want to start doing regularly. I planned on having my rest days on Saturday and Sunday. Is it better to split it up? For example workout 2 days, rest, workout 3 days, rest... Etc? Or does it matter as long as there are rest days?

I will look in to the programs you all mentioned and try to simplify it down a bit. Thanks again for the help!

For me it's based on which muscle groups are being worked.

I lift 4 days in a row...but it goes upper/lower/upper/lower...so I am not working the major muscle groups 2 days in a row.

In Stronglifts you lift every other day...to not work the same muscle group 2 days in a row.

I rest Fri/Sat/Sun from Lifting but still do cardio and Sunday can be a total rest day or an active rest day where I go for a walk but it's easy and slow and with the hubby.
  • reddeament
    reddeament Posts: 51 Member
    @Lesly_Barrett_1209 I do Stronglifts 3x a week and tend to do cardio on the same days so that I properly have rest days. (usually Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday for both weights and running).

Not sure how long you should do weights though before introducing cardio - for me, I started off easy with cross-trainer and walking until I lost a few kg (so there's less pressure on my knees) now I run 5-6km a few times a week.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Pick a tried and true beginner program. Strong Curves, Strong lifts, PPLPPLx (beginner variant), Starting Strength, etc.

For cardio in the above programs, you do them AFTER the weights (~10 to 20 minutes of HIIT) or on rest days.