Motivation After Work

Options
I am a welder so I'm fairly active throughout the night (working 7pm-7am graveyard). So when I get off at 7am I have a tough time getting motivated. Once I shower I'm ready to lay down!

So my question is how does everyone stay motivated after a long work day?

Replies

• TRIX5884
    TRIX5884 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I work an opposite shift- 7 am through 4/5 pm. When I get off - I have my kids to deal with (thankfully I have a 13 year old who babysits the younger ones while i'm at the gym) - but I have a similar situation - where once I get off work - I have no motivation to go to the gym. Sometimes - I do go home and shower first or lay down for a bit and then I go to the gym later in the evening after I've rejuvenated with some vegetation. If I go home first and shower n such - I will make myself to some sit ups crunches - THAT usually motivates me to get my butt moving and to the gym.
  • Inspired_Momma
    Inspired_Momma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I suffer from that too, once I sit on the chair i'm done. Like @TRIX5884, I'm gone from 7am - 6pm but then I've 2 toddlers to deal with so its 9:30/10pm before i get a break. So I started going the gym in work and that helped because I wasn't feeling like I had to do it when I got home. Could you go the gym on the way home from work? That way you aren't getting to the part where you relax like we all do when we get home.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I have motivation problems after work too! I am away from home ten hours a day (Mon-Thurs, 9 hour work day, 1 hour round trip drive time) and have a desk job. I even live within a few blocks walking distance from my gym, but if I don't go straight after work I get side tracked:( Sometimes during the warmer months I can ride my bike or run from home but mostly it takes my fiancé to motivate me. I'm really active Friday, Saturday and Sundays though.
  • rthomps0n
    rthomps0n Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I could definitely stop on my way home but they don't have showers available at this gym(in a small town) and when I get off work I am FILTHY from work. I don't ever feel like I can get a work out in with out at least rinsing off first
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Why not before?
  • Inspired_Momma
    Inspired_Momma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    rthomps0n wrote: »
    I could definitely stop on my way home but they don't have showers available at this gym(in a small town) and when I get off work I am FILTHY from work. I don't ever feel like I can get a work out in with out at least rinsing off first

That's understandable, what about a splash and dash approach after work?
  • rthomps0n
    edited May 2016
    Options
    rthomps0n wrote: »

That's understandable, what about a splash and dash approach after work?

That's what my goal is, then take a good relaxing shower after the gym.
    Why not before?

That's a good idea as well, i may have to try that. If It doesn't tire me out to much befor work than that's a great option
  • rthomps0n
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone! Great community we got going on here
  • rsenor
    rsenor Posts: 57 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I work out in the evening usually after a quick 15-20 minute power nap.

I recently learned a really nifty trick that works for me...in an article about how "willpower" is depleted throughout the day, we use "willpower" every time we keep from flipping someone off, or working hard at work, or just generlaly living life, so its pretty normal for it to be zapped by 7.

The article talked about changing willpower to "willingness" and that language change has been profound for me. Willpower always had me looking for "strength" or motivation instead of simple willingness. So instead, I think instead about being willing. Am I willing to work out for 10 minutes? Am I willing to forego that candy just for tonight? When I ask myself that, I am. And presto, willpower.
  • rthomps0n
    Options
    rsenor wrote: »
    I work out in the evening usually after a quick 15-20 minute power nap.

I recently learned a really nifty trick that works for me...in an article about how "willpower" is depleted throughout the day, we use "willpower" every time we keep from flipping someone off, or working hard at work, or just generlaly living life, so its pretty normal for it to be zapped by 7.

The article talked about changing willpower to "willingness" and that language change has been profound for me. Willpower always had me looking for "strength" or motivation instead of simple willingness. So instead, I think instead about being willing. Am I willing to work out for 10 minutes? Am I willing to forego that candy just for tonight? When I ask myself that, I am. And presto, willpower.

Awesome advice