Any suggestions on pre workouts??

Options
I was using ideal Lean but it was way to sweet and gave me the worst heartburn!!
What do you use??

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Nothing
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I like a beer or glass of wine before I go for a run. lol. I don't use an actual preworkout...but if it was giving you heartburn I would suspect it has some sort of fake sugar you are sensitive to. I know that xylitol is in a lot of that stuff and it has the same effect on me. Crazy heartburn. Maybe look at the ingredients to see what's in it. If it has a crap ton of soy protein, that could be the culprit too. It's a common allergy. I'd try something that either has a different type of protein or a different sweetener if you feel you need a preworkout.

Personally, I think I'd just prefer to eat a hard boiled egg or something.
  • BrettPorrasElliott
    BrettPorrasElliott Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I like a beer or glass of wine before I go for a run. lol. I don't use an actual preworkout...but if it was giving you heartburn I would suspect it has some sort of fake sugar you are sensitive to. I know that xylitol is in a lot of that stuff and it has the same effect on me. Crazy heartburn. Maybe look at the ingredients to see what's in it. If it has a crap ton of soy protein, that could be the culprit too. It's a common allergy. I'd try something that either has a different type of protein or a different sweetener if you feel you need a preworkout.

Personally, I think I'd just prefer to eat a hard boiled egg or something.

Thank you, I stopped even drinking it..felt like I was drinking sugar water!!! Yeah it's just after a full day of homeschooling my oldest and chasing after my other 2 kids(both under age of 2) I'm like deeeeaaaddd lol. Thanks
  • one1fast68
    one1fast68 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't usually do a pre-workout but last week I tried a monster energy ultra black, and it was pretty good. Worked great as a pre-workout.
  • BrettPorrasElliott
    edited May 2016
    Options
    one1fast68 wrote: »
    I don't usually do a pre-workout but last week I tried a monster energy ultra black, and it was pretty good. Worked great as a pre-workout.

Haha those taste so gross though,well to me they do..thank you!!! :)
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Pre Jym, Pre Kaged or Outlift all have clinically dosed ingredient profiles and I rotate the 3 to not build up tolerance to one brand.
  • BrettPorrasElliott
    edited May 2016
    Options
    jmt08c wrote: »
    Pre Jym, Pre Kaged or Outlift all have clinically dosed ingredient profiles and I rotate the 3 to not build up tolerance to one brand.

Awesome, I'll look into it. I don't necessarily want one that will make me feel extremely jittery, I've had some of those and felt like I was tweaking hahaha!! Thanks for the info:)
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I think those kinds of aids are just wrong. I have a hard time articulating why, but what's so wrong about doing what you can with what the good lord gave you? I see lifters all of the time refuse to wear gloves or shoes with much sole (like converse are okay, but running shoes are not). Maybe I'm missing the point of those things, but I thought the idea was to have as little between you and the weights as possible. Are pre-workouts not cheating? I personally don't dig pre-workouts or creatine or really anything beyond the occasional scoop of whey protein to help me meet my macros. Protein and eggs should be enough, IMO.
  • BrettPorrasElliott
    Options
    I think those kinds of aids are just wrong. I have a hard time articulating why, but what's so wrong about doing what you can with what the good lord gave you? I see lifters all of the time refuse to wear gloves or shoes with much sole (like converse are okay, but running shoes are not). Maybe I'm missing the point of those things, but I thought the idea was to have as little between you and the weights as possible. Are pre-workouts not cheating? I personally don't dig pre-workouts or creatine or really anything beyond the occasional scoop of whey protein to help me meet my macros. Protein and eggs should be enough, IMO.

Well...your opinion your body..my opinion my body:) thanks
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have used Pre-Kaged, but every time, I would get logged down in the gym. I would never get the pump I wanted. I was really disappointing. I liked his products, but now, I really have stopped all together using pre-workouts. I drink a cup of coffee before I lift, and that has been good for me. I just need that kick of caffeine, but everyone is different. If your looking for a great pre-workout. Look for something that has at least 6 grams Citrulline Malate, that is the ingredient you want for the "pump" feeling (Nitric Oxide production). One of my favorites that I have used in the past that has it is AML's pre-workout and I never felt jittery, but again, everyone is different. Check it out. I also recommend checking out Mind Pump, they are a fitness podcast on iTunes. They talk a lot about the supplements, the fitness industry, and overall health. Best of luck in your search!
  • lyndseybellz
    lyndseybellz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    dont you love when people on here are not helpful at all and give their opinion rather than answer your question??

ive tried several PWO's. i'm super tolerant to stims tho, so i have found most of them to be useless. BUT cellucor's C4 has some great tasting flavors, Neon Sport by Volt tastes good, Optimum Nutrition gold standard...i just recently finished a tub of The Curse by Cobra Labs and it tasted HORRIBLE. i am currently working through GAT nitroflex and it tastes horrible as well.
    The best tasting, appropriately dosed PWO, in my opinion, is Savage Roar by Dynamik Muscle. and it didnt taste horrible

hope this helps!!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Left over black coffee from the night before. The caffeine kick is better or as good as anything else I've tried. Most supplements are simply overpriced caffeine.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Exactly waffle. My pre workout is pepsi max
  • BrettPorrasElliott
    Options
    MindPump1 wrote: »
    I have used Pre-Kaged, but every time, I would get logged down in the gym. I would never get the pump I wanted. I was really disappointing. I liked his products, but now, I really have stopped all together using pre-workouts. I drink a cup of coffee before I lift, and that has been good for me. I just need that kick of caffeine, but everyone is different. If your looking for a great pre-workout. Look for something that has at least 6 grams Citrulline Malate, that is the ingredient you want for the "pump" feeling (Nitric Oxide production). One of my favorites that I have used in the past that has it is AML's pre-workout and I never felt jittery, but again, everyone is different. Check it out. I also recommend checking out Mind Pump, they are a fitness podcast on iTunes. They talk a lot about the supplements, the fitness industry, and overall health. Best of luck in your search!

Great!!!!! Thanks so much:)
  • BrettPorrasElliott
    Options
    dont you love when people on here are not helpful at all and give their opinion rather than answer your question??

ive tried several PWO's. i'm super tolerant to stims tho, so i have found most of them to be useless. BUT cellucor's C4 has some great tasting flavors, Neon Sport by Volt tastes good, Optimum Nutrition gold standard...i just recently finished a tub of The Curse by Cobra Labs and it tasted HORRIBLE. i am currently working through GAT nitroflex and it tastes horrible as well.
    The best tasting, appropriately dosed PWO, in my opinion, is Savage Roar by Dynamik Muscle. and it didnt taste horrible

hope this helps!!

Haha yes, I try to be nice though haha:)
    I actually have a thermo rev neon sport I stopped using it though..I'll look into everything. Everyone keeps saying coffee lol guess I will give it a try:)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I don't use one often, but when I'm exhausted and need an extra boost, my favorite is ENGN EVL in green apple. Blue raspberry is good, too.

I use Monster Zero Ultra (the white one) much more regularly, though. I saw your comment about the taste. This is the only flavor I like.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I was using ideal Lean but it was way to sweet and gave me the worst heartburn!!
    What do you use??

The PWO is using some ingredients that are claimed to be fat burners which might be bugging you. It's sweetener is sucralos (Splenda) so it shouldn't be hard to test your reaction to that.

I use C4, Mad Dog, and Assault depending on which one I grab. I don't worry about taste because I just drink it down fast.

You can usually get some trial packs to test out and see how you react. There is no one size for PWO so just try them and see.
  • BrettPorrasElliott
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »
    What do you use??

The PWO is using some ingredients that are claimed to be fat burners which might be bugging you. It's sweetener is sucralos (Splenda) so it shouldn't be hard to test your reaction to that.

I use C4, Mad Dog, and Assault depending on which one I grab. I don't worry about taste because I just drink it down fast.

You can usually get some trial packs to test out and see how you react. There is no one size for PWO so just try them and see.

I have heard alot of my friends using c4!! I think I'll give it a try. Thank you:)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Nothing

You have been SO MUCH help...thank you

You asked the question what preworkout people used. I don't use one. I eat regular meals and snacks, nothing in particular preworkout.