20 pounds in one month.

I recently gained 20 pounds in one month and didn't make any changes to my lifestyle. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what they determined the cause was. I am thinking I need to see a doctor because that seems so wrong.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    20lbs doesn't just "appear"...you are eating lots of calories I suspect and don't realize it.

Even with a medical condition 20lbs (unless you are swollen beyond belief) isn't going to happen...
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    I put on about 10lbs in a month after coming off sever calorie restriction:/ It goes on a lot easier than it comes off;) If you're worried then see your dr. Otherwise start tracking everything you eat for awhile and you will be more aware of where calories are coming from. It's amazing to me how many calories I can eat when I'm not tracking every bite:)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Still, that would be A LOT of excessive eating to gain 20 lbs that fast. Almost sounds like maybe you're retaining water, or something else is going on. I think you're correct about seeing a doctor; might be a good idea.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    For reference, for those who don't want to do the math: if it was just more calories eaten, she would have to be eating 2333 calories per day above her TDEE. It's possible, but I find it unlikely that she would be doing that without knowing that she was overeating at all.
  • SezxyStef
    are you pregnant
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    The cause is either medical or over eating or both. Not many options to choose from.
    Were you tracking? Over 800 posts im sure you know how CI/CO works.
    Do you recall eating that many calories daily for weeks on end?
    If not, see a doctor.
    Good luck! :)
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    Do you take any meds? (Don't list them here), lots of meds can make people retain lots of water. I changed one med and dropped 20lbs in 2 weeks, all water obviously. Are your shoes tight? People often notice the water weight in their feet.

Also, yeah, take pregnancy test maybe...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Clue #1: Sugars - Granulated (sucrose), 4 tsp Several weeks ago. Lately you've reduced it to 2 tsp. That (2 tsp) is about as much sweet as you can get from an apple with none of the nutritional benefits. You still need the nutrition, so you're eating more than you need.
    Clue #2: Implicit denial. You gained 20 pounds and made no changes. People can, and many do, eat without remembering what they ate, especially with candy and cookies. Something happened. Were you logging all your food? Or are you asserting that a low-calorie maintenance plan jammed 70,000 calories into you without you being aware? Your time of month can account for 10 of it. A salty binge can account for 10 more. You may have gained nothing.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    I know you said you haven't made any lifestyle changes, but have you started any new medications recently?
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    SezxyStef...definitely not pregnant. I know I have not changed my eating habits enough to gain 20 pounds in a month. I do believe a trip to the doctor is next on my to do list.
  • Nikki31104
    No new medications. I did recently STOP taking metformin. I was on it for PCOS but I was still having just as much pain if not more so I thought 'why am I wasting my money on this pill and it isn't doing anything'. JeromeBarry! you make me laugh....jammed 70,000 calories....thank you, I needed that today. I will admit that I hadn't been logging my food for a while now. I am slowly getting back on track. But I do know that I haven't changed my eating habits. I still eat the same nonsense that I was eating before. Nothing more and unfortunately nothing less.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Nikki, if you're certain you've not changed about your eating habits - and that your current habits have you at maintenance or a deficit - you should certainly see a doctor to rule out anything unusual.
  • SezxyStef
    Nikki31104 wrote: »
    No new medications. I did recently STOP taking metformin. I was on it for PCOS but I was still having just as much pain if not more so I thought 'why am I wasting my money on this pill and it isn't doing anything'. JeromeBarry! you make me laugh....jammed 70,000 calories....thank you, I needed that today. I will admit that I hadn't been logging my food for a while now. I am slowly getting back on track. But I do know that I haven't changed my eating habits. I still eat the same nonsense that I was eating before. Nothing more and unfortunately nothing less.

without logging accurately using a food scale there is no guarantee you haven't been consuming more than you think.

My sister just did the same thing...swears she wasn't eating more when she was...
  • movinmama24
    movinmama24 Posts: 1 Member
    I have taken metformin for years for PCOS. PCOS is all tied up in your insulin/glucose. The metformin helps you even out your levels and therefore maintain weight. Even if you can't see what the drug is doing for you, it is most likely helping. Without the drug, your body will put on pounds unless you are meticulous in your eating.
  • Nikki31104
    Nachise wrote: »
    Metformin is commonly used for type II diabetes, and coming off it may have affected your metabolism. In women with PCOS, it is used not to reduce pain, but to help with weight loss. Possibly insulin resistance?

So I should probably start taking it again? I had my blood sugar checked today after a 12 hour fast and it was right where it should be. I will start the metformin again and see what happens. I am due for a physical in 2 months. If nothing changes in that time while back on the metformin then I will have a long talk with my doctor.

• bathmatt12345
    Bottom line, something is wrong, 20lbs is 400 original glazed Krispy Kreme doughnuts in a month. or about 10 extra a day, I don't believe you've changed your eating that much. See a doctor, have your blood work checked out. Advice here is, while well meaning, often just shots in the dark, without data you will not know for sure. Blood work is that data,
  • bathmatt12345
    This is best answered by a medical professional, not a stranger on a message board.
    Nikki31104 wrote: »
    Nachise wrote: »
    Metformin is commonly used for type II diabetes, and coming off it may have affected your metabolism. In women with PCOS, it is used not to reduce pain, but to help with weight loss. Possibly insulin resistance?

So I should probably start taking it again? I had my blood sugar checked today after a 12 hour fast and it was right where it should be. I will start the metformin again and see what happens. I am due for a physical in 2 months. If nothing changes in that time while back on the metformin then I will have a long talk with my doctor.

• Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    When I quit smoking I gained 80 pounds in six months, going from 125 to 205. My own brother didn't recognize me. I was eating more, but not that much more and I had actually upped my exercise by adding one hour of daily walking to my usual work-out routine.

Don't insult people by insisting that they're not being honest in their calorie counting. Our bodies can do weird things sometimes. I can easily gain ten pounds the first week when I come off a strict diet.
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    I had a similar thing happen after a year of test found out I have PCOS which makes women gain lots of weight and not lose it. I am now on meds and a really strict diet and so far lost 5lbs. Go see a doctor and ask about harmone inbalance or PCOS.