Night workout

Options
My youngest is 2 and the only time I get to work out is 10pm after he is asleep (my husband gets the 5am workout).
What should I be eating post-workout at 11:30pm before bed? I do both strength and cardio, depending on the day's plan. I eat an actual meal with my kids around 6pm prior to workout, so it gives my body 4 hours to digest that.
Thanks for any suggestions

Replies

• hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Anything you want! Depends on your goals. Too broad a question.
  • HotTatMom
    HotTatMom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    True. My goals are toning up, not more so losing weight. 3 kids and I'm at 160 (5'7") wanting to know should I concentrate on protein, carbs, less on the stomach for sleeping?
    Fairly new to working out as you can tell.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    HotTatMom wrote: »
    True. My goals are toning up, not more so losing weight. 3 kids and I'm at 160 (5'7") wanting to know should I concentrate on protein, carbs, less on the stomach for sleeping?

toning up means cutting body fat, which generally required you to lose some weight. Generally, to do so, you want a program that is focused on progressive resistance (like a solid lifting program like StrongCurves or if you don't have equipment, then Convict Conditioning / You are your own gym). And then focus on a calorie deficit (having a good food sale will help you achieve accuracy) and concentrate on protein (.6-.8g per lb of weight). And most importantly, patience.
  • HotTatMom
    HotTatMom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

toning up means cutting body fat, which generally required you to lose some weight. Generally, to do so, you want a program that is focused on progressive resistance (like a solid lifting program like StrongCurves or if you don't have equipment, then Convict Conditioning / You are your own gym). And then focus on a calorie deficit (having a good food sale will help you achieve accuracy) and concentrate on protein (.6-.8g per lb of weight). And most importantly, patience.

My neighborhood has our own gym, so it's limited weights and machines but I do have access.
    Thanks for your post....I just wanted to emphasis on I don't care about the number on the scale at all.
    I am just worried eating so late will be counter productive I guess
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

My neighborhood has our own gym, so it's limited weights and machines but I do have access.
    Thanks for your post....I just wanted to emphasis on I don't care about the number on the scale at all.
    I am just worried eating so late will be counter productive I guess

The timing of meals and the amount of meals has NO impact on weight loss. The bigger question is how it would affect your sleep. Many of us eat very late and its fine.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could eat a banana or Greek yogurt? I love Fage 2% with swerve sweetner and jif peanut powder (1Tbs) and little sea salt. So yummy and it's protein for after a workout.
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Tone is muscle. To build muscle you need to be in a calorie surplus. To lose body fat you need to be in a calorie deficit. These are conflicting goals. Choose one.
  • swheeler0602
    swheeler0602 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Protein shake. Find a protein powder that works for you. You need to get that protein after your workout to help you body recover but make sure there isn't caffeine in it so it doesn't keep you up. Most powders you can mix with just water or juice or you can make a smoothie with fruits and greens. This will also help you to not feel hungry when going to bed.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I also work out in the evenings. Usually my snacks range from protein shake, cheese, raisins, shredded chicken thighs to different protein based snacks (I make protein bars or protein cookie balls occasionally). If I have enough calories left, I may make a tuna salad wrap. It all depends on my mood. Sometimes I'll even have some dark chocolate or chips.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Protein shake. Find a protein powder that works for you. You need to get that protein after your workout to help you body recover but make sure there isn't caffeine in it so it doesn't keep you up. Most powders you can mix with just water or juice or you can make a smoothie with fruits and greens. This will also help you to not feel hungry when going to bed.

This. I use a casein powder that is slow digesting and works with my body's recovery mechanisms to repair muscle while I sleep. Best of luck!
  • psuLemon
    Options

This. I use a casein powder that is slow digesting and works with my body's recovery mechanisms to repair muscle while I sleep. Best of luck!

Getting protein post workout isn't all the important. Some more recent studies would suggest if you get a combination of carbs and protein +/- 2 hours of working out, you might see some benefit. Although, daily consumption is much more important in the grand scheme.
  • amyers2891
    amyers2891 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When I workout late I usually just snack on some cottage cheese and veggies rather than have a larger meal. Cottage cheese is a great source of protein and also digests slowly so it's perfect before bed.