Help me find a good cracker

Options

Replies

• RredSonja
    RredSonja Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm never sure what processed means but can't you just bake your own bread? Or your own crackers? Keep any extra in the freezer and pull out when desired.

Processed is a pretty important concept in food. An unprocessed food would be, say, a kernel of wheat, eaten right off the stalk it was growing on. If you remove it from the stalk and grind it, that's a level of process - you have whole grain wheat flour. It's ground and easier to digest, but some of the nutrition is lost due to oxidation. If you remove the wheat germ and seed coat from that whole wheat flour, you get a pretty white flour that's really easy to preserve and transport, but that's another level of process, and you've lost a lot of nutrition. If you then use chemicals to bleach that white flour, you get what I would consider a non-food item at that point, because of the extreme processing.

And yeah, I could bake my own bread and crackers. I might do that, for variety or fun, once in a while. But I don't want to have to. I want to find something already made for convenience, that is still healthy as possible. I figured this is a good place to ask.
  • vitahill
    vitahill Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just discovered Good Thins (Hjc) - Spinach and Garlic, 23 pieces (130 calories). They are great and available at Target.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,642 Member
    Options
    Well, hell. There goes my Ritz joke.
  • RredSonja
    Options
    Google: Good high carb foods
    Things like lentils, quinoa, barley, beans, sweet potatoes.
    Crackers will not be your best source for carbs if your goal is to increase carbs.
    Some in stores still contain trans fats.

I know - I am shopping today and lentils and beans were on my list, along with vegis. But I need something to replace bread. I like to make egg salad and tuna salad but I don't like eating them with just a fork :)
  • swheeler0602
    swheeler0602 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love Triscuits (reduced fat). I eat them daily with some type of laughing cow cheese. 6 Triscuits, which doesn't seem like much but I break them in half, is 110 calories, only fat is monounsaturated fat (positive fats) at .5g and they are very versatile. You can eat them with just about anything since they are quite plain, but that allows you to get creative with your toppings and dips.

Also the regular (not reduced fat) Triscuits have different flavors; so even though they may have a little more fat, they still are on the healthier side and flavorful.

I also enjoy the Pita Bite Crackers from Trader Joes. They have some that are multigrain that use whole wheat and flax seed. These are also quite plain so you can get creative with them. 8 crackers have 120 calories, but have 3.5 grams of fat (no reduced fat option), they also have 12% of daily fiber. Again, very versatile: I enjoy these with tuna.
  • swheeler0602
    swheeler0602 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Crackers will not be your best source for carbs if your goal is to increase carbs.

I know - I am shopping today and lentils and beans were on my list, along with vegis. But I need something to replace bread. I like to make egg salad and tuna salad but I don't like eating them with just a fork :)

Lettuce leaves. I know they don't sound very appetizing because I thought the same thing but I eat lettuce on my sandwiches already, I'm just adding a little more and cutting out the bread. I prefer butter lettuce because of the taste and shape, it holds well.

You can also try pita pockets for sandwiches. I love these much more than plain bread.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You'd have to look into the specifics on these, but trader joes multigrain crackers, in green and white box. Ak maks.
    Look into crispbread. Crackers sounds like biscuits which are basically cookies.

Crackers are crackers, cookies are cookies. How did you turn a cracker into a cookie?

There's a UK/US gap here. "Biscuits" have a different meaning in UK English, and cracker isn't a word for a type of carby food there, so kommodevaran looks like she was trying to get a handle on what that word actually means, compared to food/terms she is more used to.
  • RredSonja
    edited May 2016
    Options
    What do you eat the crackers with?

I'm looking for something on which to put tuna salad, egg salad, vegis, cheese spread, and stuff like that.

To clarify; I'm not anti grain or anti carbs or anything, I just do better with small amounts of whole grain. Instead of sandwich bread or a serving of rice, I think I'd do better with a small healthy cracker under a towering pile of protein and healthy fat, so I can use the majority of my carb calories on vegis.

My husband used to joke that chips are just a delivery system for dip. That's kind of the concept I'm after here, only a healthy version. I need a low profile delivery system for my protein and healthy fats.

Instead of crackers, try spreading these on celery sticks. You can't beat that crunch! :)

*facepalm* I've been chopping celery into my tuna salad and egg salad - and never used a stalk to eat them with! DUH! This is why I ask questions here, nobody makes me feel dumb :)

Still want cracker recommendations, though - I am very grateful for all the suggestions, I have lots of brands to look into!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Mary's Gone Crackers do have brown rice and quinoa in them, but they're my favorite cracker.

Mine too!
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Mary's Gone Crackers do have brown rice and quinoa in them, but they're my favorite cracker.

^ + 1 I love Mary's crackers.

These are delicious, too. Plus, they're made with almond flour, so there's no need to worry about blood sugar spikes.
    u69csqjss2gc.jpg
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Lettuce leaves. I know they don't sound very appetizing because I thought the same thing but I eat lettuce on my sandwiches already, I'm just adding a little more and cutting out the bread. I prefer butter lettuce because of the taste and shape, it holds well.

You can also try pita pockets for sandwiches. I love these much more than plain bread.

Where do you find butter lettuce? I try to find this for making sandwiches out of it because I keep hearing how good this is but can't find it. I only see romaine, iceberg, greens,...

• Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I love this community!! It's so great to get these ideas from everyone all from someone's questions. I love wasa crackers. Have you tried those? They may taste a bit like cardboard but I have gotten used to them. I know what you mean about being "able" to make your own...but just wanting something you can eat that you don't have to make for convenience sake. Totally understand this!!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I like Crunchmaster brand Multi-seed crackers. They are oven baked, gluten free. They are sooo good!

Ingredients: brown rice flour, sesame seeds, potato starch, quinoa seeds, safflower oil, flax seeds, amaranth seeds, tamari soy sauce power, maltodextrin (corn), salt.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    34 Degree Crackers are my favorite.
  • michmill98_1
    michmill98_1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I second the Triscuits. I always have at least one box of them in the pantry. Good for snacking by themselves, with cheese, crumbled on a salad, delivery vehicle for protein based salads, making mini pizzas (triscuit + pizza sauce + cheese + broiler), and so on.
  • RredSonja
    Options
    Tried the Crunchmaster crackers, they are delicious! And healthy! They have a strong flavor but I like that. Can't wait to try some of these other suggestions, thank you so much to everyone who took the time to post.
  • RredSonja
    Options
    joobey wrote: »

Where do you find butter lettuce? I try to find this for making sandwiches out of it because I keep hearing how good this is but can't find it. I only see romaine, iceberg, greens,...

Butter lettuce is also known as Boston head lettuce. It's pretty widespread...it looks like a tiny head of iceberg, just softer and kind of fluffier.

• NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    triscuits 3 ingredients
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Worst name for a dating site.

Following for suggestions.
  • RredSonja
    Options