20 pounds in one month.

2»

Replies

• CrossfitOCRunner
    CrossfitOCRunner Posts: 61 Member
    How do you gain 20 lbs without realizing it? How often do you weigh?
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Metformin is often linked to gastrointestinal side effects and weight loss (weight loss is a common side effect of metformin). While I agree you need to consult with your physician, it is quite likely that stopping metformin is a contributing factor in your rapid weight gain.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    Metformin isn't a painkiller. You shouldn't be stopping and starting meds like that. Talk to your doctor before making such changes.

I gained 8 pounds in the week between Christmas and New Year's last year. I think it would be easy to gain 20 pounds in a month. Would it all be fat? No, of course not. But some of it would be, along with a good portion being water weight.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I agree...see a Doctor.

Have you recently stopped exercising?

How new are the batteries in your scale? Do you weigh yourself in the exact same way on the same scale on a flat non-carpeted surface?

Do you go to the bathroom frequently?

I notice that you're not tracking sodium. Is it possible that your sodium intake is really high causing fluid retention.

Also, you're logging isn't very consistent. A few missed days here and there, and you're not weighing all your food in grams on a food scale.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    I'd agree about the metformin. I've done carefully monitored diets and exercise before, but I've never had the success I've had on metformin (I also have PCOS). Metformin is pretty cheap (It costs me under $2.00 a month for 1000 mg a day). I'd suggest getting back on it (do it gradually, though--don't just start taking your old dose right off the bat) and see what happens.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    When this happened to me it was because my thyroid tanked.
  • shank35l
    shank35l Posts: 102 Member
    See your doctor, don't stop meds without a consult. Now that that's out of the way.

I was put on Nebivolol (Bystolic) in 2011, gained 52 lbs in 3 months, developed several other nasty side effects over the years.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    When this happened to me it was because my thyroid tanked.

That is one thing I am worried about. I have a cousin who has it. I don't know how hereditary it is as far as cousin's go. All her kids have issues so I know it is hereditary from parent to child.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    I do believe it could be the metformin as well. When you see the doctor, let them know you stopped.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Definitely speak with a doctor. Its probably just stopping the met, but you need to rule out thyroid, cushings, and unusual edema secondary to other causes. If you have any sense at all that this might be fluid retention and not pure weight gain, please go to a doctor right away, as unusual fluid retention is often a symptom of renal and congestive heart failure.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    aub6689 wrote: »
    Metformin is often linked to gastrointestinal side effects and weight loss (weight loss is a common side effect of metformin). While I agree you need to consult with your physician, it is quite likely that stopping metformin is a contributing factor in your rapid weight gain.
    jemhh wrote: »
    Metformin isn't a painkiller. You shouldn't be stopping and starting meds like that. Talk to your doctor before making such changes...

These ^

• Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Nikki, I don't have an MD title to add to my name, so I would suggest you discuss your recent weight gain with your doctor.