Eating more eggs...quiche?

Options
RebekahDFoster
RebekahDFoster Posts: 7 Member
I'm trying to find a light recipe that will help me eat more eggs for breakfast. I was throwing around the idea of some type of quiche muffins maybe? Does anyone have any recipes or thoughts on this?

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Yep. They freeze really well too, or you can keep them in the fridge to heat and eat all week. This is just some of the ones both of these bloggers have, but gives you an idea.

Quiche Cupcakes
    Petite Crustless Quiche
    Sweeet Potato and Spinach Egg Muffins
    Loaded Baked Omelet Muffins
  • axeSimo
    axeSimo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is easier to drink them with yogurt and bananas. My breakfast is 6 eggs with yogurt and 2 bananas, all of that in the shaker.
  • beadgalsarita
    beadgalsarita Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I often make egg casserole for dinner and eat leftovers for breakfast. It's a great way to use up odds and ends leftover from previous meals.

It's just partially/fully cooked vegetables, cooked meat, eggs, and cheese for top. You can add lots of variations as it's a pretty flexible dish.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I made quiche muffins for dinner last night. When I make them I try to use up leftovers. I've put all sorts of things in them. Here is what we had yesterday.

6 eggs
    1 shredded zucchini (you could really use any veg you like)
    1 butterball turkey kielbasa (hey, it was what we had. You can put whatever meat you like)
    1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1/4 cup milk.

Mixed it all up and poured it in a greased muffin tin. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. It made 10. This morning I took a cold one out of the fridge and nuked it for 30 seconds for my son to eat. He seemed to still enjoy it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just do crustless quiches because it's less annoying than having to divide the whole thing into 12 portions.. and way less clean up. My base is 6 eggs as well, then whatever veggies and meat I have on hand, plus about 50g of shredded cheese. Bake it at night, then just slice and microwave in the morning.
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I just do crustless quiches because it's less annoying than having to divide the whole thing into 12 portions.. and way less clean up. My base is 6 eggs as well, then whatever veggies and meat I have on hand, plus about 50g of shredded cheese. Bake it at night, then just slice and microwave in the morning.

Seriously the worst part is washing that cupcake pan. Awful!
  • Francl27
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Seriously the worst part is washing that cupcake pan. Awful!

I did it once. Never again, lol!
  • Chaos_Sword
    Chaos_Sword Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think I'll try this out. Add some Pyure Organic Stevia(awesome zero calorie for a bit of a sweet boost) if you don't have any fruit or don't want fruit.
    axeSimo wrote: »
    It is easier to drink them with yogurt and bananas. My breakfast is 6 eggs with yogurt and 2 bananas, all of that in the shaker.

• Chaos_Sword
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the idea.
    I often make egg casserole for dinner and eat leftovers for breakfast. It's a great way to use up odds and ends leftover from previous meals.

It's just partially/fully cooked vegetables, cooked meat, eggs, and cheese for top. You can add lots of variations as it's a pretty flexible dish.

• Chaos_Sword
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the recipe/idea.
    I made quiche muffins for dinner last night. When I make them I try to use up leftovers. I've put all sorts of things in them. Here is what we had yesterday.

6 eggs
    1 shredded zucchini (you could really use any veg you like)
    1 butterball turkey kielbasa (hey, it was what we had. You can put whatever meat you like)
    1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1/4 cup milk.

Mixed it all up and poured it in a greased muffin tin. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. It made 10. This morning I took a cold one out of the fridge and nuked it for 30 seconds for my son to eat. He seemed to still enjoy it.

• tmshank18
    tmshank18 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe I use a lot and you switch up the meat and veggies you use. I've used sausage, mushrooms, diced tomatoes and carrots. I have also shredded the sweet potato instead of using slices. Everyone in my family loves it. I have topped it with salsa and a little sour cream for a Mexican take.

Sweet Potato-Crusted Quiche
    Servings: 6 (1 wedge each)
    Carbs Per Serving: 13g
    Preparation Time: 30 minutes
    Baking Time: 45 Minutes
    Chill: 6 hours

1 large sweet potato, peeled and thinly sliced (10 ounces)
    4 slices lower-sodium, less-fat bacon, cook and crumbled
    ½ cup chopped green sweet pepper
    3 tablespoons minced red onion
    ½ cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
    ¼ cup shredded Gouda cheese
    1 ¾ cups refrigerated egg beaters
    ½ cup fat-free milk
    ¼ teaspoon hot pepper sauce

1. Coat a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cook spray. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
    2. Place sweet potato slices in a 2-quart square microwave-safe baking dish. Add 2 tablespoons of water to the baking dish. Cover with vented plastic wrap. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) 3 to 5 minutes or just until sweet potatoes are tender. Drain and cool slightly.
    3. Arrange sweet potato slices across the bottom and up the sides of prepared pie plate, overlapping as necessary to cover.
    4. Sprinkle crumbled bacon over sweet potato in pie plate; sprinkle with sweet pepper and onion. Top with cheddar cheese and Gouda cheese.
    5. In a large bowl whisk together egg beaters, milk, and hot sauce. Pour egg mixture over vegetables and cheese in the pie plate. Bake 45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. *Cover and chill at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours before serving. To serve, cut into six wedges and warm up in microwave.
    *If you prefer to serve quiche right away, let stand 10 minutes after baking. Cut into six wedges.

PER SERVING: 166 calories, 6g total fat (3g sat. fat), 20mg cholesterol, 375 mg sodium, 13g carbs (2g fiber, 4g sugars), 15g protein. Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 lean meats.
  • scubakat67
    scubakat67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I've made a quinoa frittata in the crock pot which is fairly tasty - http://crockpotgourmet.net/crockpot-quinoa-breakfast-casserole-with-tomato-and-spinach/

I'll be checking back here for some more ideas. Like having eggs for breakfast, but get lazy about making them.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    @queenmunchy and @francl27 ....Hubs does the dishes, I cook. lol. It's awesome. Sometimes if I'm mad at him I make a huge unnecessary mess. passive agressive, huh?
  • Francl27
    Options
    @queenmunchy and @francl27 ....Hubs does the dishes, I cook. lol. It's awesome. Sometimes if I'm mad at him I make a huge unnecessary mess. passive agressive, huh?

Man, I wish. I have to do the dishes... and cook, and set the table, and put everyone's dishes away because apparently opening the dishwasher to put dirty dishes in is too hard.
  • aurical84
    aurical84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    ditto on not doing it in a metal muffin tin - it ruined my nonstick pan. I prefer to use glass/ceramic dishes as they seem to clean up the easiest.

I love quiche - I usually have as a main for dinner/lunch but obviously it would be great as breakfast. I do crustless to save on calories/carbs (not to mention effort) but you have to grease the pan (non-stick spray works).

Filling options are endless but my favorite is mushrooms, onion, some green vegetable (e.g., broccoli, spinach, kale) and feta. Make sure to cook down the watery vegetables (i.e, kale/spinach, mushrooms, and onion if you're using regular - scallions are fine uncooked). Bonus: this will add a lot of flavor. If you use anything that's frozen, let it thaw/drain and press out liquid from leafy greens. DO NOT SKIP THESE STEPS - It will end up runny if you don't!

Sorry I don't have exact measurements - I kind of tend to wing it based on what I have on hand
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    @enterdanger lucky! My husband will gladly cook, but seems to have major issues with cleaning up afterward.
  • Francl27
    Options
    aurical84 wrote: »
    ditto on not doing it in a metal muffin tin - it ruined my nonstick pan. I prefer to use glass/ceramic dishes as they seem to clean up the easiest.

I love quiche - I usually have as a main for dinner/lunch but obviously it would be great as breakfast. I do crustless to save on calories/carbs (not to mention effort) but you have to grease the pan (non-stick spray works).

Filling options are endless but my favorite is mushrooms, onion, some green vegetable (e.g., broccoli, spinach, kale) and feta. Make sure to cook down the watery vegetables (i.e, kale/spinach, mushrooms, and onion if you're using regular - scallions are fine uncooked). Bonus: this will add a lot of flavor. If you use anything that's frozen, let it thaw/drain and press out liquid from leafy greens. DO NOT SKIP THESE STEPS - It will end up runny if you don't!

Sorry I don't have exact measurements - I kind of tend to wing it based on what I have on hand

It's the main reason I don't do quiche that much. Seriously hate having to drain stuff and I always make a bad job at it.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with baked eggs right now. Got the idea from Domestic Geek. You can make so many different styles. I made spinach, artichoke and cheese this morning. I have made bacon, tomato and Swiss too. Mushroom is delicious also. I even made one Miga style with broken corn chips, salsa and cheese. Possibilities are endless.

Baked Eggs

Cooking spray
    1 egg
    your choice of protein, veggies and/or cheese

Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly spray ramekin with cooking spray. Place protein, veggies and/or cheese around the edges of the ramekin. Creating a small well in the center of the ingredients. Crack 1 egg into the well. Season eggs with salt, pepper or seasonings. Bake for 10 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Garnish and serve immediately.

z7uiu0svn0fs.jpg

• KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    MY favorite is Germa/Dutch baby Pancake..which is a huge puffy , but dense, multi egg dish baked in a cast iron pan. For single serving I bought a small 6-8" pan, reduced recipe, you don't need a huge 12" pan, too heavy to handle for just occasional use.
    You can make this for one person with 2-3 eggs, reduce other ingredients.
    This magically puffs up, almost no work ( the pan does it)
    Dutch Baby Pancakes
    Preheat oven to 425 F (220C)
    Have a 10" Cast Iron skillet on the burner and melt
    a couple tbs. of melted butter/oil. Get it hot.
    In the bowl of a food processor place the following ingredients
    in order given. Sooo simple and delicio
    4 extra large eggs
    1 c. of Lc milk,or milk/cream/or coconut mik
    2 tbs. melted butter
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    Whirl until mixed.
    Add:
    1 c.Jen's Gluten Free bake mix (look at Gluten Free Bake Mixes) <<OR used Almond flour
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 tsp. salt
    2 tbs. your favorite sugar sub.
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    Process until smooth << mixing by hand is not that hard
    Pour batter into hot oil. Place in oven and bake about
    15-17 minutes. It will puff up. Cut into 4 large wedges.

This is best for weekends or dinner when you have more time to make it, but WORTH it.
    You can use sugar free suryps, or fresh berry, most German restaurant serve it with powdered sugar and many sliced lemon wedges..it is wonderful!
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to find a light recipe that will help me eat more eggs for breakfast. I was throwing around the idea of some type of quiche muffins maybe? Does anyone have any recipes or thoughts on this?

Hey - I tried something out that was so simple and tasty last week.

Mix up a 3 egg omelette with veg. Whatever you like, diced. I put in onions, peppers, tomatoes.
    No cream, no butter, just some a dash of skimmed milk.
    With fry-light, I fried off some bacon lardons and added that to the raw mix.

Take a muffin tray and put in the muffin cases, with a barely-there spray of fry light.
    Spoon in some of the omelette mix. For me, the 3-egg mix went across 9 muffin cases. Not too big, not too small.

Grate a tiny dash of cheese on top (pre-measured).

In to the oven for 15-20 minutes, and actually great to eat cold in the morning!