Share - some of the crazy, underhanded, or bizarre food labeling and packaging you've come across

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Diet Mountain Dew.

A 20 oz bottle is labeled 20 calories. That would make it 0.5 calories per oz. So, a 12 oz can should be 6 calories, but it's listed as zero. Not that I'm sweating the calories in diet soda, but seriously
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited May 2016
    Diet Mountain Dew.

A 20 oz bottle is labeled 20 calories. That would make it 0.5 calories per oz. So, a 12 oz can should be 6 calories, but it's listed as zero. Not that I'm sweating the calories in diet soda, but seriously

I've wondered that before haha, but like you I don't care since Diet Mountain Dew is delicious.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I was surprised by the packets of "low sodium" soy sauce... it had added sugar and corn syrup. I'd rather have the sodium! I can understand if you need a low sodium diet, but otherwise I think I can do without added sugar in my soy sauce.

Low sodium soy sauce should say LOWER sodium soy sauce....it's still packed with it

Also, not all of it has added sugar or corn syrup. I've never run into that:

Kikkoman's (labeled "lower sodium") has the following ingredients: WATER, WHEAT, SOYBEANS, SALT, LACTIC ACID, SODIUM BENZOATE; LESS THAN 1/10 OF 1% AS A PRESERVATIVE. Regular has: WATER, WHEAT, SOYBEANS, SALT, SODIUM BENZOATE; LESS THAN 1/10 OF 1% AS A PRESERVATIVE.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Diet Mountain Dew.

Aaaand it's too late to edit. A 20 oz diet dew is 10 calories.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    I've always thought that European labels looked kind of crazy. They get so specific!

Also, on the HFCS topic, I've seen customers come into our store (local health food/supplement shop) shunning HFCS and damming it to hellfire and brimstone, and then immediately thereafter purchase a bag of fructose crystals from one of our bulk suppliers of "health" foods. Me and the other girl at the counter were going, "Wait, what?"

Also, almonds. I don't know why companies label unroasted almonds grown in the USA as "raw". They're not. They're all pasteurized, using one method or another. Unless you're buying Silician or Marcona almonds or something (way more delicious than USA almonds, by the way,) they're not raw.

I think they mean they are not toasted or roasted.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Diet Mountain Dew.

I actually saw a bottle at Dollar Tree labeled as 5 calories.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    All the diet mountain dew I have seen don't say 0 calories
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Red Licorice package that says "fat free!!!" ummm.....yes, I guess so, but what about all that sugar? I had to laugh.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Red Licorice package that says "fat free!!!" ummm.....yes, I guess so, but what about all that sugar? I had to laugh.

But it's not like the label said said sugar free.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    In Norway, bags of nuts often have a warning on the label: "May contain nuts".

In Britain bottles of milk carry a milk allergy warning....
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited May 2016
    [During the whole 'low fat' craze of the 90's and early 2000s, "low fat" was listed on many gummy and hard candies. *facepalm* I also remember an ad in Australia for a brand of gummy candies, and the ladies smile at the camera and exclaim that the candies are 100% FAT FREE!!!!!!! I think it was the 'Natural confectionery co'.
    Kraft 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese.
    Has 10% wood pulp in it, which is ok, but is it still 100% cheese?
    Yeah, cellulose...but woodpulp is stretching it, considering cellulose is the structural component of green plant cell walls (can be used to make paper and cardboard). Cellulose is also used as a filler for many medications, and is a thickener for many foods. Hmm.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f6/a8/84/f6a884c796e15577e19f9c7a5f269ea5.jpg

this hot sauce is pretty funny

Unrelated to food but still a funny label was a door mat that included "Do not set door mat on fire. Do not hit pregnant women with door mat. Door mat is not edible" Someone had fun writing those silly instructions.