Home gym or gym membership

Options
13»

Replies

• kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I prefer home workouts. For one, I live in the middle of nowhere, the nearest gym being 15 miles away one way. Also I absolutely hate having to wait for equipment, particularly weights. And i just like the comfort of my own home. I dont have to go anywhere to workout, love it! If i want to work out in my underwear, i can (hey priorities :p ). If I want to blast my music on a stereo, I can, etc. Cost wise it can add up buying your own equipment. I have a completely weight set that I bought new ( on sale tho) and a few months ago bought an elliptical off of a local yard sale page, it is literally brand new! Take advantage of of people selling equipment locally, you can find super cheap deals.
  • Jessika29669
    Jessika29669 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Like many other posters I think it all depends on what works for your family/life. We have 2 children, 2 full time jobs, and childcare isn't even an option at some gyms. Buying equipment for home was the only solution for us. We wake up at 5am, drink our pre workout's while we do morning business, then head downstairs to kill it before anyone wakes up. Sometimes, there is even time for extra workouts ;) LOL We still go to the gym twice a week, mostly to take the kiddos swimming. I don't have the energy in the evenings to workout hard anyway between kid's sports, dinner, homework, bed, blah blah blah. He usually does though. We craigslisted plates for our rack, picked up olympic bars, medicine balls, bells, and we bought Marcy's combo smith machine gym for safety and it's many uses. We even got free rubber flooring that we cut to our needs from the rubber plant that just scraps their excess material in out town. We have used the home space 1,000 times more than the countless $ we spent at the gym, which is completely different than life 10 years ago. The most important thing of all is it has given us the opportunity to be completely consistent, week after week. So for us it was a great investment. For others it might collect dust. Evaluate your time and then divide the cost, and you will know the route that's best for you both. Have fun!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I would also add that for me, working out at home would be an issue for me because my kids immediately need the sun, moon, and stars as soon as I walk in the door. They are 3 and 6 and there's rarely a moments peace these days at home...gym time is me time with no distractions or needs and wants of others. I'm in, get it done, and out.
  • shank35l
    shank35l Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I go with gym membership, 2 of them in fact. I use 1 gym for strength and cardio training, while the other is a gym dedicated to combat sports.
  • BenOsen3
    BenOsen3 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I work out at a university gym and it is super motivating to work out around a bunch of 20 year olds. Since I'm old, I wouldn't get that at home.
  • SlimSharonSlim
    SlimSharonSlim Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If there is two of you then i would say membership..............i have been a member of a gym now about three times on and off and i never seem to go.........i guess it's just effort especially when the weather is bad.........but two of you can go together and cheer each other on!
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership, but I only go there to use the pool. It comes down to what you're more comfortable with. A lot of the time, just thinking about getting in the car, driving to the gym, trying to find parking, etc, gives me a headache! I'd rather just work out at home, watching my tv-shows with the sound at a volume I'm comfortable with.
  • veliia
    veliia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You can workout wit YouTube videos if u have a ruko, ps4 or smart tv. Also dvds aren't too expensive & walking/ running at a park is always free. Ohh & sometimes ppl sell workout machines for cheap. Overall i think at home is cheaper.
    Should I buy weights and do cardio at home, or just stick with a membership... Looking for the more cost efficient way. It'll by my wife and I.

Thanks

• jstalittlecrzy
    jstalittlecrzy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    68 years old and the closest gym is about 45 minutes away. I opt for home. I have a treadmill and a bike and some light weights. I bought a few "walking" DVDs, set up a small tv in front of the treadmill and go for it. Morning, noon or night. also bought a Garmin to track my steps and watch my heart rate ( I have had open heart surgery) Every morning I take my pup outside for a walk (weather permitting) but still enjoy using the treadmill and the bike. Guess it's a matter of what you want out of a workout.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Was going to write a long post but the bottom line is that the gym gives me a break from the house, away from the snacks (and the kids in the Summer thanks to their kids room), for 2 hours. I workout at home too (weights and stationary bike) but I just get a better workout over there and again, I'm not tempted to stop to get a snack if I get hungry.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    All my exercise has been free. Walking, climbing up and down the stairs, free videos on the internet (literally anything you can think of can be found for free somewhere), dancing around in the living room to music with a fast beat, lifting gallons of water or canned goods, doing body weight exercises, less conventional and non exercise-y things such as simply getting up and moving after being still for too long - whether it be jogging around the house while watching TV, doing squats, or something practical like a cleaning or organization project.

Now I'm just dipping my toes into running; I bought a bicycle (my one expense other than a Fitbit), and I use the free community gym in my new neighborhood for weights (not available to everyone, but I would simply buy a few adjustable dumbbells at Walmart since they're about the same quality/selection - the gym here is tiny).

If you aren't motivated to exercise in the comfort of your home or neighborhood, why would having to get dressed and drive to the gym be appealing? I've never understood that.

If you can hold yourself accountable and push yourself, the world is your gym.

If a gym is appealing to you, and you like reward-based motivation, why not commit to X amount of time exercising for free and then use the gym membership as your reward? That's cost efficient because you won't jump into a membership and then be stuck paying a fee if your heart truly isn't in it.
  • TrekkGuy
    TrekkGuy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There is no right answer to this question. The best exercise is the one that you will do. Since you have a workout buddy to keep you honest and motivated that would be the exercise you both will do.
  • navybrat822
    navybrat822 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 and trust me when I say I've joined every gym, worked with personal trainers and paid beaucoup bucks going to "boot camps." I've adopted many of the things I've learned from all three and workout from home with daily six mile walk/run combination and my Total Gym. If you have the space for a TG I highly recommend purchasing one. I hop on it several times a day and do legs for 15 minutes and upper body another 15 minutes. I recently set it up on my deck and tend to use it more now that it's outside.

It all comes down to personal preference. I'm self conscience at the gym as well as a germophobe, so I like that I have a "controlled" environment at home.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I do both. Do the Tony Horton beach body DVD at home with light weights and resistance bands. Also have a Health Club membership with a national chain. The main reason for the membership is to swim.

I live in New Jersey and during the winter I rather do the DVDs at home. Psychologically it's just easier for me than going out and you're cold which I absolutely hate. Once it gets warm I spend more time outside doing cardio.

What it comes down to whatever works best for you is your best answer.
    99% of the workout is psychological once you can get over that the workout itself this easy.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    That really depends. I have both (my gym membership is really cheap) and lately I'm more motivated when I actually leave the house. I thought the opposite would be true and that I'd work out more if I didn't have to leave, but that isn't the case. However, there are days I'm crunched for time and glad I can just go in my garage and lift. Everything in our garage is used off of Craigslist so nothing was terribly expensive. So I do a mixture of both. It really depends on what kind of equipment you want to use, if you want to spend the money, if you are close enough to the gym where it's not an issue, if you think you'd be okay to workout at home without being distracted, etc.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the gym, but found that the gyms around me are just meat markets for men to pick up on women. I got to the point that I dreaded going because I didn't know what guy would come interupt my workout to drop some cheesy line. I'm older now, and don't turn heads like I used too, but I still have that dread so I workout at home and it works for me. I do my workout, run around my complex a few times and then I am done. It all just depends on what is going to keep you motivated. Good luck!!!
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    What do you think you will stick to? I have friends that are only motivated by the gym. I used to go to the gym but HATED it!!! I had to wait for machines, deal with people staring, drive there, change, sweat, go home sweaty. I developed the motivation & discipline to workout at home. I found great trainers on youtube & purchased adjustable weights. Who cares if its dark outside, raining, cold, hot. There are NO more excuse for me! Bottom line: Some people have the motivation to workout at home while others need to go to the gym. Good luck!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you will use, what you can afford and your fitness goals.

There is no gym near where I live. I wouldn't exercise if I had to go to a gym to do it.
    I haven't actually bought a bunch of equipment to exercise at home. I walk. I do workout videos from you tube. I do some bodyweight exercises. I don't have lofty fitness goals.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I do both. I have a gym membership, because they have treadmills, classes and a pool. The pool is most important to me, because I like to swim laps a few times a week. Since I started running I don't go to the gym as often as I used to because I'd rather be outside. I have dumbbells at home but can see where once I outgrow the weights I have I'll probably just use the gyms. Plus the treadmills are there on days I can't go outside (snow, sleet, etc). I'm not as hardcore as some of my fellow western New Yorkers and run through all four seasons!
  • riley_kinnett
    riley_kinnett Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I would say keep the gym membership. If you continuously do the same workouts over and over again your body will get used to it and you will stop seeing the results. The gym will offer more of a variety so that you can switch up your workouts more often.