Sugar turning into fat

Options
2»

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Well I googled "Does sugar turn into fat" there's alot more articles all saying it does, can't all be false.

Everyone has an agenda, you can find articles online saying anything that makes you feel like your belief about how to eat is right. Pro HCLF will advocate a vegetarian or vegan diet and give examples of why they are right. Pro LCHF will say carbs are the devil and you can't lose weight eating more than 100 grams of carbs a day...pft. For the average person it's all about calories, plain and simple.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    pcpop7 wrote: »
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Well I googled "Does sugar turn into fat" there's alot more articles all saying it does, can't all be false.

I googled "Is Hillary Clinton a lizard person?" and got a lot of articles saying she is. Is that our new standard of truth?

KITTEN! You beat me to it!

It's one of my all-time favorite conspiracy theories.

Is that not one of David ikes theories ?

It is! I read several of his books in college, they were amazingly entertaining. Kids today can get all their conspiracy for free on the internet. Lucky devils.
  • pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Wait. If it's written in a book it might not be true either ?

There is a great book by Ben Goldacre called Bad Science which is great at looking at some crazy studies. He also has a good website badscience.net which exposes this bad science nonsense
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

It's a misunderstanding.

As I interpret OP's question, he or she is concerned about whether fat will be gained even in a calorie deficit if too much sugar is eaten as a percentage of calories (or some such). It won't.

This is a very oversimplified explanation:

(1) Our bodies run on a combination of glucose and fat. A higher percentage of fat is burned, usually, when we are more sedentary (for example, during sleep, although plenty can be burned during daily activities too). A higher percentage of glucose is burned during more intense activity. What you eat affects what is burned (i.e., if you eat more fat you burn more fat, if you eat more carbs, you burn more glucose, since your body burns what is available).

(2) If we have more glucose than we need at a particular point in time, it is stored as glycogen in the muscles and liver for easy access later (insulin does this, among other things, like getting protein to the muscles). This is helpful for intense activity, as this is the most accessible fuel (vs. fat). That's why people talk about fat burning exercises being lower intensity (although this also doesn't matter for weight loss).

(3) If glycogen stores are full, glucose will be stored as fat.

(4) If you are at a deficit, you likely will not have full glycogen stores (as you are burning more fuel than you are taking in). Thus, it is less likely that you will store glucose as fat.

(5) In any case, if you are at a deficit, you are burning more fuel than you are taking in -- thus, the amount of glucose + fat that you burn will necessarily exceed what you take in and you will lose fat. Therefore, if fat WERE added, it wouldn't matter, as later in the same general time period more would be lost. This is what the article is misleading about (among other things).

Significantly, the type of fuel you take in does not matter except to the extent it affects how much you burn (which seems to vary only a little -- i.e., protein has a somewhat higher calorie burn to be digested) or how active/energetic you are (which you can access). If you take in less than you burn you CANNOT add net fat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    Ok, just on a whim I decided to google something totally ridiculous to see what would come up. So I googled "Hitler was female" (No idea what made this come to mind)

Got to love the internet, there are a bunch of articles and "studies" trying to prove just that.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. What other ridiculous searches can you make?

Apparently Hitler was also Angela Merkel's dad. That's a big one on the internet. She claims to have been born 9 years after he died, but probably she and Obama have the same fake birth certificate source.
  • pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I googled "Is chupacabra real?" and got similar results.
    I have to google 'what is chupacabra'. Scared now and hoping it is not real.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I love you guys.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

She's right. I'm like butter.

• mostein
    mostein Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Do I dare to even weigh in on another sugar forum topic...
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

I googled "Is Hillary Clinton a lizard person?" and got a lot of articles saying she is. Is that our new standard of truth?

KITTEN! You beat me to it!

It's one of my all-time favorite conspiracy theories.

My favorite one is that Elon Musk is an alien that was stranded on our planet, and he's trying to advance our technology to the point that he can get home.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

LOL can I hit the awesome button 4 times!

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »

Everyone has an agenda, you can find articles online saying anything that makes you feel like your belief about how to eat is right. Pro HCLF will advocate a vegetarian or vegan diet and give examples of why they are right. Pro LCHF will say carbs are the devil and you can't lose weight eating more than 100 grams of carbs a day...pft. For the average person it's all about calories, plain and simple.

But what about your average lizard person?