Is anyone on maintenance that isn't even that skinny?

Replies

• JoseCastaneda
    JoseCastaneda Posts: 245 Member
    Skinny shouldn't be a goal. Aim for FIT, and you will see the difference :) it involves a lot eating and a lot of workout by the way.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited May 2016
    I'm not sure how to answer that. I feel like I'm still somewhat "skinny fat"; my arms and legs are pretty thin (they were fairly thin to start with though) and my face has gotten thinner but I still have a fair amount of belly fat. My BF% is still somewhere around 27-29%, I would guess, even though I'm 5'7" and in a range of 131-134 lbs. I have PCOS and that can make it harder to lose belly fat. I'm trying to recomp now but currently in physical therapy 3x/wk b/c of weakness in several areas that has led me to be easily injured whenever I try a progressive strength training routine.
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    I'm 5'3'' and my range is 132-127 and I'm moving into maintenance. I know many MFPers would rather get to like 115 or whatever but ehhh, I'm happy the way I am and I'm not trying to be a model or anything--I'm healthy and I can maintain at this weight without it turning into an obsession pretty easily. The only person who gets to have an opinion about whether you're thin enough to be on maintenance is you. You don't *have* to want to be at the bottom half of your BMI, though I know it can feel that way. You're allowed to like yourself where you are!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Skinny shouldn't be a goal. Aim for FIT, and you will see the difference :) it involves a lot eating and a lot of workout by the way.

I like this. Although we all have different opinions of what 'fit' means too! But I'm fit enough when my legs don't give up on me.

I do have the 'lot of eating' part down at least (well the lot of workout part too I guess).
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    ..... The only person who gets to have an opinion about whether you're thin enough to be on maintenance is you. You don't *have* to want to be at the bottom half of your BMI, though I know it can feel that way. You're allowed to like yourself where you are!

^^ love this train of thought :smile:

• victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    I'm 5'2.5" and 125. I have way more belly fat and thigh fat than I would like. But I am healthy and in good shape! If I lose much more weight, I feel like it might be too hard to maintain because I love food so much. Currently I'm trying to maintain but after eating 1700-1800 calories a day for the past few weeks I'm seeing that I'm still losing about a half pound per week so I think I could actually increase that to 2000 a day. I would love to maintain at that calorie amount!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    localgrr wrote: »
    I've decided to go on maintenance because I can't do 1200 any more (I'm short) so I've just learned to accept myself with a cute belly and that's that. I've lost quite a lot of weight so I'm happy with that.

Is anyone in a similar situation ? Would love to make new friends, thanks!

Caroline

Yep ... I'm no where near to my goal weight but I am on maintenance right now. Do you care to know why? Hope so cause I'm sharing ... I have a screwed-up metabolism from years of dieting and regaining so now I plateu very quickly. So ... I am learning how to eat to maintain my weight and when that works like it's supposed to ... somewhere down the line ... I'll start to reduce again.
  • ALG775
    ALG775 Posts: 246 Member
    I am almost at maintenance, and I think I'll stop around BMI 26. I want to be able to eat lots at maintenance. Nice to hear of fellow MFPers who aren’t necessarily going to the low end of their BMI. Good to have a range!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I'm in maintenance. I got tiny, then purposely bulked to try gain muscle over the winter. I tried to cut the fat but went through a lot of personal stress besides getting obsessed and weird with food. So...maybe I failed. But here I am. It's time for me to focus on getting mentally and physically healthy, which doesn't meant chasing a low body fat % at the very moment.

• veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    I took a weight loss vacation. and now I'm loosing weight at a higher calorie rate than before. March 1st I couldn't take it any more so I started going to maintanace. i added 100 calories a week till i quit loosing. I only got to 1600 calories, up from 1200. ( I lost weight during this time) I stayed there for about 3 week s.Then I also added 200 a day for exercise ( during this time I finally really quit loosing),after 6-8 weeks I started reducing calories. I only had to cut by 100 calories a day for 2 weeks and I started loosing. I have lost 1 1/2 pounds in about 12 days. I'm going to stick with this till I loose my last 10 pounds. Maybe the next 6 weeks or so. Then I'll start working On finding my true maintanace calories again.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    I'm in maintenance. I'm 44, 5' 2.5" & 144.5 lbs--so about 6 lbs still in the "overweight" BMI category. I was aiming for 150 lbs, but lost a little more when I was still bumping my calories up to maintenance. I like where I am now. My doctor likes where I am now. The calories I get to eat at this weight are workable for me. I don't like to exercise & I maintain on a pretty low number (1430) compared to many women around my height. If I got any thinner, I wouldn't be able to eat much at all.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    gramarye wrote: »
    I plan to maintain at around 180* and I'm 5'2". I like my body now, and while I had set my new goal lower than that (165), I never intend to get to a point where I'm skinny/lean/fit/whatever the acceptable word is for "small." It's just not a priority for me.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(* It was my first goal, and where the trend looks to take me. I'm taking time off for maintenance regardless of my weight at the end of July.)

you and i are in the same boat. i am 5'3, and my original goal was 165. however, i really like the way I look now. I am considering maintaining at 175, with a range of 5lbs on either side.
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Me? I think, maybe?
  • localgrr
    localgrr Posts: 99 Member
    Wow nice stories everyone. Sorry I didn't mean to mis-use the word "skinny" I'm not sure what's the right work. Damn most people on this thread have a lower BMI than me though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I just like that food too much, always will :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Hey, there's nothing wrong with enjoying food, its one of the best pleasures in life :smile: its all about finding a way to enjoy it in the right amounts so we maintain our weight at our own happy place.