Crossfit???

Options
13»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    As a competitive powerlifter who's shared the platform with many CFers, I'm totally cool with CF and all the criticisms of injury and qualified coaches are irrelevant insofar as CF as an exercise methodology. And I'm stating this even though I think Glassman is a total arrogant dick.

Regarding kipped pull-ups... For those that Olympic Lift, the kipped pull-up has tremendous crossover to those lifts where the body must get into triple extension.

this.

The only thing I'd add- if we stop considering pull ups = kipping pull ups- and consider them two separate exercises- with completely different needs/purposes- there would be less grief about them. They serve a purpose.
    Much like a pendlay row is not a dumbbell row- even though on the surface- they appear to have the same functions- they simple are not.

Crossfit has done wonders for getting people motivated and moving beyond their own normal drive. They come inspired and realize they can do more than they thought.
    True- there is a heavy focus on the AMRAP/WOD and really pushing harder- but it's gotten people inspired, motivated and picking up some heavy *kitten* *kitten*. So. Win.

There is always risk to doing things- crossfit is no different. Just a matter of how much risk you are willing to accept.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I tried crossfit because it introduced my to Olympic lifting. However, I couldn't make make crossfit work and keep up with any real strength training. I enjoy lifting heavy weights and crossfit is more about lighter weights for reps. They do dedicate some time to heavier strength training, but not enough for me. Some of the WODs were fun, but overall I feel like lost strength and my running times suffered.

The main problem for me is that I enjoy the structure of a progressive lifting program and running schedule. Crossfit is just a bit too chaotic for me. But I still practice the oly lifts at a crossfit gym so I know that some people really enjoy it. Different strokes and all.

• Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Luckily, I live in a very small town so there aren't a ton of people there when I go for CrossFit. I get a lot of one on one training with the instructor. Just signed my membership today :smile: going to work on getting to comp level in CrossFit
    That's cool. If you make it to that level, CF games level training is different.

I'm so glad your CF experience has been a positive one so far O.P.! Nothing has gotten me as fit and healthy as Crossfit has so I love seeing someone else get excited about it.

Much of what both the supporters and opponents of CF have said in this thread are true in regards to some places either not knowing enough or not caring enough to scale appropriately. Having done CF for quite a while now my one word of advice is even if you think you are a great gym with great trainers who give personalized attention and scale appropriately I would still recommend checking some other CF places out before you sign any type of commitment/contract. Looking back I realize that I fully believed movements and weights were scaled appropriately to my level of fitness at the time, however, I honestly didn't know what appropriate scaling should be. I probably could have avoided picking up some bad habits and minor injuries had I really understood what scaling appropriately actually was. Strict strength and good form should always be at the forefront of your training and will serve you much better in the long run.

Also while training to a comp level (regionals/games) is an awesome goal to have, as stated above be aware that there is a world of difference between training "traditional crossfit" and "competitive crossfit." Much of what keeps people coming back to Crossfit everyday is the community aspect of the classes and honestly you lose most of that when you begin to train for competitive fitness. It can be a hard transition to go from that fun hour long class with your friends to at least six days a week of three hours of training a day frequently done alone or just with your coach. It's also made up of a TON of endurance training/strength training/body building with only a handful of the traditional type Crossfit workouts people have come to know and love thrown in. I absolutely love training this way but it's not for the faint of heart. Best of luck!

Well said.

Crossfit and training to compete at Crossfit are two entirely different things. Nothing wrong with the later, but as Kelly said, it's much different than the former.

If you want a behind the scenes look at CrossFit competition, CrossFit just put out a series called Behind The Scenes: '15 Games. You can find it on YouTube and I thought they did a nice job capturing the stuff you don't see when just watching the Games.
  • alyssarenea1996
    alyssarenea1996 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Luckily, I trust my instructor not to push me more than I can take. I think our class the other day only had 5 'crossfitters' and I was the only beginner so I get lots of one on one help. They haven't even had me messing with any weight, just working on my form. My coaches know my goals and are always so helpful when answering my questions. Thank you all so much, I very much appreciate the differing opinions and experience!! :smile:
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    kdiamond wrote: »
    I did it for almost 2 years and it was my first experience with anything to do with lifting. I learned a lot, and I'm glad I did it, but ultimately it was too much upper body for me...I didn't feel like it was a good fit for the body type I was/am going for.

Now I do Orange Theory which also incorporates lifting but more lower body female stuff, and also rowing and cardio. I like a well balanced workout and I didn't think I was getting that with CF. I feel like CF is better suited for a dude who wants to be ripped and lean. Also there are a lot of cult like factors involved that I didn't care for, but I suppose that can happen in any group setting.

If you didn't get enough lower body work and rowing/cardio, you had a terrible box. Not really a reason to blanket all of CF that it's not geared towards women. The reality shows CF providing women with a huge benefit and interest for a women to embrace being strong and powerful and getting rid of the ridiculous cardio bunny & pink dumbell idea.

She lost me when she said "lower body female stuff." I don't want no man with chicken legs! And I most certainly don't want my legs hulk strong and my upper body soft and flabby.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    kdiamond wrote: »
    I did it for almost 2 years and it was my first experience with anything to do with lifting. I learned a lot, and I'm glad I did it, but ultimately it was too much upper body for me...I didn't feel like it was a good fit for the body type I was/am going for.

Now I do Orange Theory which also incorporates lifting but more lower body female stuff, and also rowing and cardio. I like a well balanced workout and I didn't think I was getting that with CF. I feel like CF is better suited for a dude who wants to be ripped and lean. Also there are a lot of cult like factors involved that I didn't care for, but I suppose that can happen in any group setting.

If you didn't get enough lower body work and rowing/cardio, you had a terrible box. Not really a reason to blanket all of CF that it's not geared towards women. The reality shows CF providing women with a huge benefit and interest for a women to embrace being strong and powerful and getting rid of the ridiculous cardio bunny & pink dumbell idea.

Agree so much with the above. We do a hellalot of squats (Ft/Bk/OH) etc that I find it's a great balance of upper, lower & cardio.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    ^^^^

I totally agree and embrace heavy lifting and strength and all that, don't get me wrong, but when I look back at those workouts at least 50% if not more of each workout are extremely upper body focused. I personally do not need that much upper body and at one point my upper body was extremely disproportionate and looked very boxy and not feminine, and that's not my desired look. I know females in general are leaner and are able to build muscle easier on their upper bodies than lower bodies. That is just my opinion and figured a woman would like to hear it. I found something that works better for my body type but still incorporates and embraces lifting heavy (just not Olympic style lifting).