Feeling discouraged

Options
I started logging in my fitness pal about 79 days ago. I also go to orange theory fitness about 8-10 times a month. I work very longs hours so cannot exercise everyday. In the beginning I lost weight rapidly but after 3 weeks my weight started to slightly creep up. I have lost only 7 pounds in last 79 days. I am feeling somewhat discouraged.l noticed that I am slowing moving towards my bad habits ( eating high carb and low proteins). I am trying to be patient to myself. I am so amazed by many wonderful people in this forum who have lost tons of weight. I wonder how they kept on going despite failures and slow progress at times ?

Replies

• Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're struggling.

Weight loss is primarily about food. Not exercise. Though it certainly helps your health and helps create a deficit. How are you keeping track of/measuring your food/calorie intake?
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    If you feel you cannot do it by yourself, you need a coach, a peer who can help you.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Arunahan wrote: »
    I started logging in my fitness pal about 79 days ago. I also go to orange theory fitness about 8-10 times a month. I work very longs hours so cannot exercise everyday. In the beginning I lost weight rapidly but after 3 weeks my weight started to slightly creep up. I have lost only 7 pounds in last 79 days. I am feeling somewhat discouraged.l noticed that I am slowing moving towards my bad habits ( eating high carb and low proteins). I am trying to be patient to myself. I am so amazed by many wonderful people in this forum who have lost tons of weight. I wonder how they kept on going despite failures and slow progress at times ?

The issue is not likely the carbs. It's total calories. Are you weighing your food? Are you logging regularly? What are your calories to set to, and are you always under?
  • africanbashie
    africanbashie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yep, I know exactly what you are feeling. I'm a mess with my weight and I want to eat carbs all day. At least we are connected through fp.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    what keeps me going is knowing it works. if i eat less than i burn, i lose weight. finding those numbers and balancing it with the ups and downs of life can make it harder but not impossible. The days i dont want to do the work, i either dont and accept the consequences or i just make the decision to do what needs to be done. Also, a cute new outfit never hurts. in the long run the pay off is worth the struggle, for me. hope you find your way through this.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    This flowchart has some good advice:

80i3pjjlxsdy.jpg
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I log everything. I log the good, the bad, and the ugly. I realized today that I was logging mistaken information for the past 2 days so I went back and fixed it. If my weight goes up, I know why. If I binge, I figure out why. I fix the problems and know that if I maintain a calorie deficit with accurate measuring and recording of the food I eat I will lose weight. In your opening statement you admit that bad habits are creeping back in. No. Habits don't creep. We allow ourselves to do things that we know we should not do because we want to. This is in your head. If you can get that squared away you'll be successful at living a healthy life.
  • Kaeleana
    Kaeleana Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that there are times when you hit a plateau & when I wait it out still sticking with eating healthy, soon I will start losing more weight. Sometimes I boost it a bit by adding a bit more exercise. Most of all stay the course, be strong & keep up the good fight. You can do it!
  • Arunahan
    Arunahan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »

Weight loss is primarily about food. Not exercise. Though it certainly helps your health and helps create a deficit. How are you keeping track of/measuring your food/calorie intake?

I have been weighing my food most of the times. However, recently I have not been very honest about logging everything.And I usually log my food intake at the end of the day which is probably not good as you don't always remember everything you eat during the day.
  • Arunahan
    Options
    Yep, I know exactly what you are feeling. I'm a mess with my weight and I want to eat carbs all day. At least we are connected through fp.

Happy to know that there are some people on the same boat as I am. Thanks to MfP!
  • Arunahan
    Options
    I log everything. I log the good, the bad, and the ugly. I realized today that I was logging mistaken information for the past 2 days so I went back and fixed it. If my weight goes up, I know why. If I binge, I figure out why. I fix the problems and know that if I maintain a calorie deficit with accurate measuring and recording of the food I eat I will lose weight. In your opening statement you admit that bad habits are creeping back in. No. Habits don't creep. We allow ourselves to do things that we know we should not do because we want to. This is in your head. If you can get that squared away you'll be successful at living a healthy life.

Do you weigh yourself everyday ?my weight fluctuates so much that I get very confused!
    Absolutely agree with what you said. We allow ourselves to do things that we know we should not do because we want to! I will always remember this!!!
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    There's your problem right there. How can you know you're sticking to your deficit if you don't log EVERYTHING you eat?

I cook with a notepad and pen. Anything I weigh, I jot down to log when I have time.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I think that you know what you need to do. It is just a matter of doing it.

When you cheat who are you cheating?

It's a process and you learn as you go along.

I already learned that eating something (other than single servings) straight from the package is a really bad idea for me. Because I suck at paying attention to it and end up eating more than I even really want, so I really have to portion out what I'm going to eat first. Simple concept, but making it a new habit took a bit.

Recent new thing for me, I need to put open packages of food "away" and not have them just sitting out.

I had an open package of pecan halves on the kitchen table. My daughter opened them and I just didn't bother with figuring out a place for them (not a lot of kitchen storage). I like pecans. Found myself walking by and grabbing 2-3 pecan halves. Went on for a few weeks before the penny dropped and I closed them up and put them away.

This week daughter opened a package of pretzels and they are sitting out on the kitchen table. I've counted/logged them, but I know I just need to put them up so I can ignore them like I a pretty good about ignoring the cookies/cracker/chips that are also in the kitchen.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Arunahan wrote: »
    Cynsonya wrote: »

I have been weighing my food most of the times. However, recently I have not been very honest about logging everything.And I usually log my food intake at the end of the day which is probably not good as you don't always remember everything you eat during the day.

Log your food before you eat it. When you see the calories before putting them in your mouth, it is so much easier and more motivating to keep within your goals. If you log after you eat, that's fine,for keeping accountable to yourself, but the damage is already done. Good luck.