1200 or 1400 calories?

Options
I am trying to slim down my belly. It has gotten bigger over the past few years and now I have a 40inch waist at 18 years old. Almost all of my fat is stored in my stomach, and it is getting hard to suck it in to appear "normal" at this point.

I am only 163-165ish lbs at 5'8 and am trying to loose about 10 pounds out of my stomach.

I have been told that a 40inch waist greatly increases chances of health risks, as well.

I generally eat a lot of food but now have restricted myself to 1200 calories. I find that I am hungry after meals, though. However, I want to shed off this fat quickly. Should I stick with 1200 calories or go to a 1400 one.

Likewise, any tips on shedding off unhealthy belly fat? Thanks.

Replies

• GMAC2016
    GMAC2016 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    What does MFP say for a target? Slower is generally thought to be better and more sustainable. If the MFP calculation says either will result in loss I would go with the higher, more satiating number.
  • Sharp123321
    Sharp123321 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It wants me on 1200 calories.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,986 Member
    Options
    Did you tell it you want to lose 2 pounds per week? Try setting your goal for .5 pound per week. It will take longer but it isn't a race. Be prepared too, you can't choose where the fat will come off. I'm down 48 pounds and I still have a lot if fat on my belly. It just takes time.
  • Coybean
    Coybean Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Belly fat tends to be the last to go. You just need time. If you are still hungry, check to see the nutrition value of the things you are eating. I've been following a keto diet and actually find it hard to eat more than 900 calories most days. It's just such a filling diet. Try not to be in a rush...try to see this as a life style change, not just a quick way to slim down.
  • Sharp123321
    Options
    Most of my fat is in my stomach, luckily(maybe not so much).
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Since you're hungry on 1200, I suggest doing 1400-1500.
  • campbell3913
    campbell3913 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're incorporating lean protein and things like lentils and beans as well as complex carbs like whole wheat bread. They fill you faster and you'll stay full longer.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    At your height and weight, you're on the border of a healthy BMI and a ever-so-slightly overweight BMI. Therefore, eating only 1200 calories a day is an extreme you should only go to if under a doctor's orders. Just laying in bed all day without moving, your body would burn nearly 1600 calories (roughly your BMR) -- that's what it takes just to keep your body functioning -- but add in your daily activities, and the amount of calories your body needs to keep going goes up.

Turning to such a low-calorie diet without medical advisement can be dangerous and have a lot of negative health effects. I've seen it happen to friends in their late teens / early 20s and they are now suffering long-term and irreversible health problems.

I understand your desire to lose weight, but don't trade in one potential health problem for a host of others. There are healthier ways to lose those 10 pounds.

If you're eating too much junk food, focus on adding more protein and veggies to your meals so you'll fill yourself up while using your calorie intake on foods from which your body can gain better nutrition. But don't fall for elimination diets that cut out carbs or fats because your body needs them. Find a way to balance your meals so there's a little of everything. Make sure you get enough sleep every night so you wake up feeling rested, and that will also help you to shake your cravings and keep you from eating in excess. Getting a handle on your diet will help you lose weight, but you can't control where the weight will come off.

Add a moderate amount of cardio and strength training into each week, and that, along with the balanced diet, will help to reshape your body.

Online calculators provide better guidance in terms of how much to consume. I wish you the best!

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

http://www.calculator.net/bmr-calculator.html?ctype=standard&cage=19&csex=f&cheightfeet=5&cheightinch=8&cpound=163&cheightmeter=180&ckg=60&x=76&y=9

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Fast only works as long as you can do it. So if you're hungry at 1200, then you might want to up your calorie intake. Definitely confirm that your nutrition is there, and a combination of nutrients that will keep you satiated.
  • Sharp123321
    Options
    I do the 1500. I can work with it :) And no more junk.
  • LindseyM0831
    LindseyM0831 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I found 4-5 years ago when I was in high school if I would snack inbetween meals it helped me drop my belly quick. If you only eat 1-2 times a day your body thinks it needs to store that fat cause it won't eat again. Try eating 4-5 times a day with 3 of those being normal meals and see if that helps. I just had a baby 7 months ago and started eating 5 times a day again I did weigh 215 now I weigh 170. So something is working.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,913 Member
    Options
    Should I stick with 1200 calories or go to a 1400 one.

Why are those your only two choices?

Personally, I started on 1250, got to my first goal then raised it to 1350 until I got to my next goal. I maintained at about 1500 for quite a while, but now want to lose a tiny bit more, so I'm back down to 1350.

• daniellek30
    daniellek30 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 1300, and I find that i'm rarely hungry. It really depends on what you are eating.

Dieting shouldn't make you feel like you're starving. Is there a way you can give us an idea of what you eat daily? This might help everyone to make suggestions, etc.

Also, I've always suffered from belly fat out of anything else. I still do - and I'm still working to get it off. Cutting out sugar from my coffee, kicking the diet soda habit - these are both things that have helped.