Exercise with back injury

Options
I just recently hurt my back by lifting something heavy. The Doctor's said I have a herniated disk. It is slowly getting better. I believe that my extra weight is making things worse. So I am trying to work on losing weight by eating better and adding exercise. I have been walking at a slow pace for 15 minutes a day. Tried to increase the pace and time a little today and it caused a lot of pain. Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Water exercises. Takes the weight off the injured area and doesn't cause aggravation.
  • Tracer357
    Tracer357 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I found yoga helped my back i have a bulging disk. Take it easy if your still in pain don't over do it.
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Yoga or Pilates? You can lose weight on that
  • djmarcopolo
    djmarcopolo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Depending if you have had a MRI you should go see a physio therapist do they can create a program for you. Once you know if you're herniated dyed is anterior or posterior you should keep it to slow walks. I am just recovering from one myself and if I had waited to try and heal properly with the right program I would be ahead of where I am now. Take it slow, its frustrating I know but you want to heal the right way. Cheers
  • hnahae
    hnahae Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It really depends on in what way it is herniated. I have a herniated disc that bulges away from my body so doc has me sworn off crunches and any strength exercise involving forward bending. Backward bending strength I'm in the clear. Walking is suppose to be great. Try the elliptical, it is low impact and water workouts have been suggested to me a million times but I haven't tried them yet. Just be careful. I have had this issue for 6 years and it never goes away. It will flare up if you do the wrong things. Make sure to talk to a medical professional about your specific injury and future limitations. Best of luck and happy healing.