Has anyone read "Skinny *****?"

Options
Oh I see I can't write the "female dog" word ... but that is the title of the book.

What did you think about it?

Is anyone been eating less meat because of the info?

I had gained 9 pounds over Christmas, and have since dropped it after reading Rory & Kim's book.

Replies

• wannaBme
    wannaBme Posts: 143
    Options
    Oh I see I can't write the "female dog" word ... but that is the title of the book.

What did you think about it?

Is anyone been eating less meat because of the info?

I had gained 9 pounds over Christmas, and have since dropped it after reading Rory & Kim's book.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I haven't read it....what's the tips/tricks?
  • amyalwaysonline6
    Options
    It wasn't at all what I expected. I didn't like it, and I don't eat any less meat because of it. I can understand why some people don't eat meat, but that's just not for me.
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have been eating less meat, but not because of the book.
    Then I read an article yesterday that says women should eat beef, whole milk products and eggs in order to lose weight! Come ON - someone - make up your mind!!!
    (Maybe they lose weight but then drop dead from the cholesterol but at least they die skinny?)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Those women aren't nutritionists, dieticians, personal trainers, or certified to give dietary advice in any way.
    Would you go to a librarian to have them fix your car's transmission? Why would you go to two random, obviously biased, uncertified, rude women with no knowledge of the human body for dietary advice? Cutting out meat is not a quick fix for fat loss or a healthy lifestyle.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Then I read an article yesterday that says women should eat beef, whole milk products and eggs in order to lose weight! Come ON - someone - make up your mind!!!
    (Maybe they lose weight but then drop dead from the cholesterol but at least they die skinny?)

Cholesterol doesn't kill you. It takes an accumulation of several factors in addition to a high-cholesterol diet to cause problems. Saturated fats are used in cell membranes and for hormone production, which are two really important aspects for life. Beef, whole milk, and eggs are high in protein and fat, which keep you feeling full and keep blood sugar stable. Since high blood sugar causes insulin to increase, which in turn promotes fat and sugar storage, it's a huge factor in fat loss. It makes much more sense to eat higher fat and protein than it does to cut fat to incredibly low levels and eat a diet very high in carbohydrates.

It's not that people can't decide what to do, it's that we're constantly learning new things about the human body. But there are certain principles that remain constant, and keeping those in mind will help rule out what diet advice is silly and what will actually work.
  • wannaBme
    Options
    It's a BLATANT no nonsense approach to health and weight loss. No more beating around the bush, they tell like it is. I didn't appreciate some of the language that they use ... but WOW, did I get their message.

It was especially pertinent for me, as we were driving through California as I was reading it out loud to my husband. Down the I-5 and HWY 99 we passed huge dairy lots and beef lots and chicken barns .. lots upon lots, stuffed with animals. The stench was overwhelming.

I didn't quite believe all of the stories that Rory & Kim wrote about, so I looked it up on the internet. I found movies at www.goveg.com about factory farm abuse and practices. I simply can no longer support that type of industry. I haven't eaten meat since.

If you truly want to be a healthy Skinny B@tch (without being a B@tch) .. then this is a must read.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    It's a BLATANT no nonsense approach to health and weight loss. No more beating around the bush, they tell like it is. I didn't appreciate some of the language that they use ... but WOW, did I get their message.

It was especially pertinent for me, as we were driving through California as I was reading it out loud to my husband. Down the I-5 and HWY 99 we passed huge dairy lots and beef lots and chicken barns .. lots upon lots, stuffed with animals. The stench was overwhelming.

I didn't quite believe all of the stories that Rory & Kim wrote about, so I looked it up on the internet. I found movies at www.goveg.com about factory farm abuse and practices. I simply can no longer support that type of industry. I haven't eaten meat since.

If you truly want to be a healthy Skinny B@tch (without being a B@tch) .. then this is a must read.

So, it doesn't bother you that they have no idea how the human body works or what it needs? And that it was entirely political? :huh: I can understand not eating meat for ethical reasons, but these women really have no business promoting the book as anything but a statement against the practices.
  • wannaBme
    Options
    Education is key. Read lots, learn lots and then make your own choices and decision.

To the nay sayers about the book ...

Why are we the only nation in the world that drinks milk AND we have the highest osteoperosis rate?
    Would you suck on your mothers boob at 30 years old? or more appropriately a cows teat ?
    Nature made cows milk to turn an 80 pound calf into a 2000 pound animal. Is that what the population resembles? big fat cows?

How about people who figure out that they are lactose intolerant. Actually, almost every human older than 4 is lactose intolerant, as they no longer NEED milk to survive. So the industry, not wanting to lose consumers, makes an altered product that has the lactose removed so now it is "disgestible" for those lactose intolerant. Give your head a shake !

And cheese ... don't get me started on cheese. Cheese is so addicting, and the industry damn well knows it. So it's everywhere to keep us coming back for more.

North America has the highest obesity rate. Why? because we are rich and can afford good food?
    ... or because the food industry has made cheap crap to fill us up so they can make money?
    Just take a look people! Crap food everywhere, filled with stuff you can't even pronounce. The diet industry is making billions by filling us up with more fake synthetic cancer causing promises.

this whole farce infuriates me because I have been lead down the garden path for years. I've tired reading this ... and that ... tried new diet trends ... only to be bigger than I was when I started to "get healthy". I am pissed off at the constant brain washing and food advertising and the lies, ALL for the sake of the oh mighty dollar.

I don't need to be certified in anything to finally figure this out, and neither do the girls who researched many hours for their book.
  • kalla
    kalla Posts: 11
    Options
    My opinion lies somewhere inbetween wannaBme's and songbyrdsweet's.

As a diet book, it's not advisable. At least not if you don't have any previous knowledge of the subject. But as an ethical piece promoting veganism? It's pretty effective.

For me, what it did was make me more conscious about buying organic foods when possible, and preffering local farmer's products. I haven't eaten meat since I was 13, but recently I've taken fish back into my diet. Not eating red meat or poultry is mostly a matter of tastes transformed into a matter of ethics for me. I don't care what other people eat, as long as they don't try to push it onto me.

I think Skinny B*tch is a good book for anyone to read, as it does give you lots to think about. Anyone with any brains can read a book like this objectively enough to filter through the intentionally provocative stuff and pick out the really useful stuff.

Another thing this affected, by the way, was the amount of time I now spend reading the ingredients list on products. I agree with the authors on the topic of additives, at least to a point. It's truly scary how much waste we pour down our throats on a daily basis.
  • wannaBme
    Options

So, it doesn't bother you that they have no idea how the human body works or what it needs? And that it was entirely political? :huh: I can understand not eating meat for ethical reasons, but these women really have no business promoting the book as anything but a statement against the practices.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "they have no idea how the human body works or what it needs". Do you mean where does the body get it's protein if the diet is meat free?
    Which food recommendations did they make that you think are unhealthy or unsafe?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Education is key. Read lots, learn lots and then make your own choices and decision.

Why are we the only nation in the world that drinks milk AND we have the highest osteoperosis rate?
    Would you suck on your mothers boob at 30 years old? or more appropriately a cows teat ?
    Nature made cows milk to turn an 80 pound calf into a 2000 pound animal. Is that what the population resembles? big fat cows?

How about people who figure out that they are lactose intolerant. Actually, almost every human older than 4 is lactose intolerant, as they no longer NEED milk to survive. So the industry, not wanting to lose consumers, makes an altered product that has the lactose removed so now it is "disgestible" for those lactose intolerant. Give your head a shake !

And cheese ... don't get me started on cheese. Cheese is so addicting, and the industry damn well knows it. So it's everywhere to keep us coming back for more.

North America has the highest obesity rate. Why? because we are rich and can afford good food?
    ... or because the food industry has made cheap crap to fill us up so they can make money?
    Just take a look people! Crap food everywhere, filled with stuff you can't even pronounce. The diet industry is making billions by filling us up with more fake synthetic cancer causing promises.

this whole farce infuriates me because I have been lead down the garden path for years. I've tired reading this ... and that ... tried new diet trends ... only to be bigger than I was when I started to "get healthy". I am pissed off at the constant brain washing and food advertising and the lies, ALL for the sake of the oh mighty dollar.

I don't need to be certified in anything to finally figure this out, and neither do the girls who researched many hours for their book.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't know of anything in cheese that has addictive properties. We are fat because we overeat because it takes time and effort to count calories and exercise.
    We aren't all lactose intolerant. Some of us continue to express the lac operon, some of us don't. It's no different from us having different hair colors. Also, the lactose isn't removed, they just add the lactase enzyme to it. For those of us who don't express the lac operon, the lactase helps us break down the lactose. The smaller sugars are still used just like they would be if we'd produced the lactase ourselves.

You don't have to research anything to have an opinion. But it's better to research so you don't come off as offensive or can't support your claims.
  • wannaBme
    Options
    Well said Kalla :smile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "they have no idea how the human body works or what it needs". Do you mean where does the body get it's protein if the diet is meat free?
    Which food recommendations did they make that you think are unhealthy or unsafe?

I don't think it's bad to be vegetarian. But it's not inherently healthy, either, just like cutting out carbohydrates isn't inherently healthy. Vegetarians and vegans need to closely monitor their intake of vitamins that are harder to find in non-meat products, like the B vitamins, or cyanocobalamin which is almost impossible to get enough of on a vege/vegan diet. If it's done without proper preparation, it can be dangerous. There's more to being vegetarian than getting enough protein--that's pretty easy.
  • wannaBme
    Options
    Also, the lactose isn't removed, they just add the lactase enzyme to it. For those of us who don't express the lac operon, the lactase helps us break down the lactose. The smaller sugars are still used just like they would be if we'd produced the lactase ourselves.

You don't have to research anything to have an opinion. But it's better to research so you don't come off as offensive or can't support your claims.

i stand corrected, they add an additive to the milk to help make it more digestible as apposed to removing the lactose. I don't mean to be offensive either, so I apologize for that.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an opinion about everything, dieting, eating, not eating, exercising. Some people have an educated idea about all sorts of things. Others don't. Find what works for YOUR body and run with it. It is that simple. If not eating meat works for you then don't meat. If you like meat and you lose/maintain weight while eating it then eat it. I think it is important to read and learn what works for different people and then try different things and see what works for you.

Personally, I like meat so I eat meat. I also love animals but I still eat meat. No industry is perfect, including meat/dairy industry. People write books b/c they have an agenda..to get paid and/or push their ideas onto us. And the writing industry is not perfect either. So all that said, glad that you liked the book and glad that not eating meat is working for you. I personally glanced at the book recently while browsing through a bookstore and was turned off by it. I didn't feel that it had my best interests at heart so I put it back down.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Also, the lactose isn't removed, they just add the lactase enzyme to it. For those of us who don't express the lac operon, the lactase helps us break down the lactose. The smaller sugars are still used just like they would be if we'd produced the lactase ourselves.

i stand corrected, they add an additive to the milk to help make it more digestible as apposed to removing the lactose. I don't mean to be offensive either, so I apologize for that.

It's okay, I know this is a hot spot for a lot of people. But just curious, what makes you say cheese is addictive? Do you mean literally (as in it binds to receptor sites in the brain) or figuratively (as in it's really good on sandwiches so we eat too much)?
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: dang Girl...I HEAR YA ON THAT!! Seriously...so many studies so many variations, come already is right:angry::laugh: :laugh: :tongue:

That's why it's so important to realize each of us is different, each of us has somethings that work for one but not the next... I realized finally even on this great site, some can eat all the excercise cals back and some should...some it doesn't work the same way for. But to try it is best then learn from it, but to give it time to see what works for each of us important. Giving up too soon isn't good either in regards to what will work for any of us regarding studies.

Some say you don't need much water...my theory is DRINK IT DRINK IT DRINK IT, but it's because it's worked SO WELL for my journey that I want to pass it on to others, if you feel that isn't right for you, by all means we all need to be individual and make our own decisions and NOT just follow a rule/study because it is there.

One thing great that I've learned on this journey is I want to continue doing what works for me!! Not what might work for someone else...I think at the beginning of our journies when we don't know which way is up, there's nothing wrong with taking the advice from others (other than someone telling you to jump offa bridge:noway: :tongue: ) because well need to start somewhere.

If we know chocolate will make us go nuts at first best to keep it out of site for a time, others right off the bat can do it in moderation. For us each to learn who we are as individuals is a HUGE part of the journey, it's not ALL about losing weight folks! Why do I say this? Because I learned it along the way...it's about becoming who we were truly meant to be!! Finally:drinker: :bigsmile:

Cheers to individuality:drinker:
    FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Everyone has an opinion about everything, dieting, eating, not eating, exercising. Some people have an educated idea about all sorts of things. Others don't. Find what works for YOUR body and run with it. It is that simple. If not eating meat works for you then don't meat. If you like meat and you lose/maintain weight while eating it then eat it. I think it is important to read and learn what works for different people and then try different things and see what works for you.

Personally, I like meat so I eat meat. I also love animals but I still eat meat. No industry is perfect, including meat/dairy industry. People write books b/c they have an agenda..to get paid and/or push their ideas onto us. And the writing industry is not perfect either. So all that said, glad that you liked the book and glad that not eating meat is working for you. I personally glanced at the book recently while browsing through a bookstore and was turned off by it. I didn't feel that it had my best interests at heart so I put it back down.
    WOW, having just now read this after I'd already posted I enjoyed it so much Bamboo because we have much of the same beliefs, it's always great to meet someone that thinks similiar to us:flowerforyou:

I think much wisdom was shared in Bamboo's post...I think to each his own, but I did get the book from the library and it went right back to the drop off slot very shortly after, I did not care for the style of writing, the brashness of the woman and I agree there was certainly an agenda..and not one I necessarily find would be for me.

I can take or leave meat...the only reason I wouldn't eat it is because I either wasn't in the mood or didn't at the moment have the funds or preferred broiled fish that night instead.:wink::drinker:

I find it interesting that some could actually enjoy that book, I read enough of it to see that the title certainly was appropriate, they were b*tches and very prejudiced against those who are overweight...to me that's not a healthy book for me, I chose not to waste my time.

As a very wise woman posted already here (our wise woman SBW!:bigsmile: )...the topic IS contraversial so please take my words only for they are....my thoughts on the matter...and not as an attack upon your own beliefs...I do respect others in what they choice is healthiest for them:flowerforyou:

Because again, we all walk the path in life...but to be able to feel comfy being individual is one of the greatest feelings of all!!:drinker: :flowerforyou: :heart:

Sat. disclaimer for this post and any others written today by me!:bigsmile: Typo's galour...yup I can only imagine and I do see some but am not going to go back and fix them, why? Because another thing I'm working on is not policing myself on every single move I make on here anymore!! Here's to freedom of each of making our own mistakes in life whether it being typo's or anything else.:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree. I don't know of anything in cheese that has addictive properties. We are fat because we overeat because it takes time and effort to count calories and exercise.
    We aren't all lactose intolerant. Some of us continue to express the lac operon, some of us don't. It's no different from us having different hair colors. Also, the lactose isn't removed, they just add the lactase enzyme to it. For those of us who don't express the lac operon, the lactase helps us break down the lactose. The smaller sugars are still used just like they would be if we'd produced the lactase ourselves.

YOU ROCK CHICK, you simply ROCK!! So much wisdom in so few of years!! Can't even begin to imagine where you'll be after finishing school...you have such a bright future and the world is open to all things for a woman such as yourself SongBSweet:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :wink: \