If They Can Do It, Why Can't I ?

Options
So on My 600-lb. Life, the doctor recommends a 1,200 calorie diet that is super high in protein and low in carbs. And when the people are given that diet in the hospital, they can easily lose the weight.

So, why do I have this feeling that my body can't get below 200lbs? (My highest weight was 336 lbs., my lowest memorable weight was 156 lbs. at age 11 or 12, and 5'2" - 5'3" tall).

I've been changing my goal weight to now reflect 195lbs., but for some reason I feel like that is an almost impossible goal. I wish I could stop that way of thinking.

Anyone else in the 100lbs or more to lose club and in need of moral support? Feel free to add me as a friend. :)

Replies

• srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Trust me once you get the momentum going it doesn't matter if you have 1lb or 100 to lose you'll get their eventually. You'll stumble occasionally but it's not an all or nothing thing. I think all my other diets failed because I would *kitten* up once and chalk it up as a failure.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, there is no reason you would not be able to get below 200 hundred pounds. Without further information it is hard to offer any advise as to diet or exercise. But what I will say, is ultimately it is all a choice. You have to choose to accurately and consistently measure anf log your food. You have to choose to get up off the couch and move more. You have to choose to stop making excuses.

This was perfectly illustrated with an exchange I had with a friend today about walking on our work breaks.
    Her : "yeah, I should try to go for a stroll this am, but I really hate sweat"
    Me : "so do I, I just hate being fat more"

Which do you choose?

• pinelopi22
    pinelopi22 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I recently decided to up my calorie goal, or rather to decrease my weight loss goal from 2 pounds per week to 1. My thought is that focusing on forming the habit of sticking to a plan is the most important thing for me to master first, more important than losing pounds quickly. 1200 calories might be something I could stick to "cold turkey" under supervision of a doctor or trainer, but it's just me here! I think that allowing myself more calories while I teach myself how to stick to the plan will really help. As hard as it is to accept, the habit is more important for me than the speed right now. My two cents. :)
  • briegirl28
    briegirl28 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    This is great advice, pinelopi22 :)
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would be cautious about a 1200 calorie diet. With one this low, your restricting yourself from eating a good healthy variety of foods, which could lead to metabolic damage. You will lose weight, but once you take your foot off the pedal you'll start to put weight back on. I fell into this trap 3 years ago. I was 315 pounds and was hell bent on getting to 165. I dropped weight quick, eating a high protein, low carb, low fat diet. I went all the way down to 185, but I felt like crap every step of the way. I was not eating a balanced diet, I did not include veggies, fruit, nuts, oils, I mainly just stuck to lean meats. Once I took focus off my diet, I put on weight quick and shot up to 225 and have fought to get it off for the longest time. Now I understand proper eating, and variety, I have lost 22 pounds, and I feel a lot better. I would recommend listening to Mind Pump, they are a fitness podcast on iTunes. They discuss a lot dieting, eating right, fitness and life in general. They are explicit, but their content is unmatched. Since listening to them, I have fixed a lot of my issues in my diet. Best of luck to you.