Couple of issues - any advice appreciated

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm new on this site and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a few things.

I am 28 years old female, 5ft 6 and 116 lbs. I am naturally slim but lost a lot of weight a few months ago, went down to about 105lbs. I am trying to eat more and also exercise more to put on weight but look healthy. I don't want to gain that much fat but would rather gain muscle to look more curvy and healthy.

I have 3 main problems which I am trying to focus on:

1) My boyfriend teases me a lot that I have a flat butt. My bust is 36inches, stomach 26inches and hips 35.5 inches. I am trying to focus on legs and glutes training to improve this, but find that a lot of glute exercises give me back ache. I also think that my quads are taking on most of the work during the exercises and my glutes aren't doing that much. Does anyone have advice on how to grow glutes without making my quads grow faster. I'm worried that I'll end up with larger legs which will make my glutes look even worse.

2) My lower stomach tends to protrude quite a bit. I've not checked my body fat percentage but considering I am borderline underweight I doubt that it's due to excess fat. I have been doing crunches and planks but feel like my stomach is firmer but bigger. I have also found that I feel more bloated since exercising (the last 2-3 months or so). Would an increase in exercise cause more bloating? I've never heard of this before.

3) When I go running I end up with a very itchy rash on my chest and back. It looks like hives, especially around neckline and bra-line. This doesn't happen if I've done a weight lifting session, only when I run.

If anyone has any answers I would be most grateful.

Many thanks

Replies

• TheChesireCat
    TheChesireCat Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have poor core muscles; The protruding stomach and back ache from overusing your back and under-using your stomach. Check your plank position (bottom too high so you skip using core) and that your are engaging your core before you exercise.

I don't know on the rest
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    If you want to gain muscle you're probably going to gain fat as well - but you can cut that later slowly to retain as much muscle as you can. I'd second the comment about weak core, that seems to be something you need to focus on. You asked about whether an increase in exercise can cause bloating but also the period in question is the time over which you've been eating more, so I'd say it's that rather than exercise. I get itchy after running, no rash but I think it's just the body cooling down. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as it passes :smiley: Good luck with everything.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
  • Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    1. Find out which part of his body he's not happy with & tease him mercilessly about it! If YOU want to build up that area for YOURSELF, check out fitnessblender.com. They have a 4-6 week workout schedule dedicated to building your backside.

2. Maybe you need to check your diet. You mentioned bloating so it may be that your sodium intake is too high. Or it could be that you are not "regular." There could be extra waste sitting in your intestines.

3. Umm...well...maybe you could lubricate that area before you go out. Or just go see a dermatologist.

Good Luck!
  • apguitar2013
    apguitar2013 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ilex70 wrote: »

Thanks, yes I've downloaded his glute workouts. I just find that his hip thruster exercises really hurt my back so I'm doing very light versions of them.
  • apguitar2013
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    If you want to gain muscle you're probably going to gain fat as well - but you can cut that later slowly to retain as much muscle as you can. I'd second the comment about weak core, that seems to be something you need to focus on. You asked about whether an increase in exercise can cause bloating but also the period in question is the time over which you've been eating more, so I'd say it's that rather than exercise. I get itchy after running, no rash but I think it's just the body cooling down. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as it passes :smiley: Good luck with everything.

Thanks for your advice. I'm worried that my stomach is going to look massive by gaining too much fat, which is why I initially thought to just try to grow muscle. I've been consciously eating more since March 2016. I'll put more focus on core muscles from now on.

I come out in a rash when I run, like I'm allergic to something. I hope it is just that it's just the body trying to cool down, it's so itchy though and the red patches stay for about 2 hours.

Thanks for your help :-)
  • apguitar2013
    Options
    Cutemesoon wrote: »
    1. Find out which part of his body he's not happy with & tease him mercilessly about it! If YOU want to build up that area for YOURSELF, check out fitnessblender.com. They have a 4-6 week workout schedule dedicated to building your backside.

2. Maybe you need to check your diet. You mentioned bloating so it may be that your sodium intake is too high. Or it could be that you are not "regular." There could be extra waste sitting in your intestines.

3. Umm...well...maybe you could lubricate that area before you go out. Or just go see a dermatologist.

Good Luck!

1) Thanks. I'll have a look into the workout schedule. He teases me about most of my body, he says I look like a skeleton but everyday he will comment on my butt so I want to get into really good shape to prove him wrong.
    2) I don't think it's either of those things, possibly a food intolerance but it's got much worse since exercising so that's why I thought it might be down to exercise.
    3) I think it may be an allergic reaction as I get red welts that are very itchy and don't go away for a couple of hours. So if I go for a run, I go early morning so that I have enough time for the rash to fade before going out.

Thanks for your advice :-)
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I used to have people telling me I looked like a skeleton all the time. I've weeded them out of my life as much as possible. It's not okay.
  • apguitar2013
    Options
    Alassonde wrote: »
    I used to have people telling me I looked like a skeleton all the time. I've weeded them out of my life as much as possible. It's not okay.

I wish I had your strength to do the same thing
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Thanks, yes I've downloaded his glute workouts. I just find that his hip thruster exercises really hurt my back so I'm doing very light versions of them.

If hip thrusts hurt your back, you are doing them wrong. I suggest getting his book Strong Curves, read it, and starting out with the beginner program. He makes it very clear that you need to start from the basics in order to learn to activate your glutes properly, which most people who are new to glute training do not do naturally.
  • apguitar2013
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

If hip thrusts hurt your back, you are doing them wrong. I suggest getting his book Strong Curves, read it, and starting out with the beginner program. He makes it very clear that you need to start from the basics in order to learn to activate your glutes properly, which most people who are new to glute training do not do naturally.

Thanks, yes I have got his book and seen videos of him demonstrating the exercises on youtube. I guess I have a weak back and need to work on strengthening that area as well as continuing to follow the beginners programme
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

No one who truly loves you should ever body shame you. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life. I'm sure you weren't looking for relationship advice, but I had to say it.
  • sarahearra
    sarahearra Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The increase in bloating may be dehydration. Try upping your water intake. For your weight, try 8 cups for non-workout days and 10 to 12 cups on workout days. What I have found is that when I start my increased water regiment, I will make more trips to the bathroom for a week or so and then it levels off close to normal. By the time the bathroom runs level off, the bloating has usually gone away.
  • apguitar2013
    Options
    trinairby wrote: »

No one who truly loves you should ever body shame you. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life. I'm sure you weren't looking for relationship advice, but I had to say it.

Thanks for your reply. Yes you are right, this is a fitness forum not a relationship forum! But just so you know, he is a narcissist and a bully and I am currently putting plans in place to escape from him in the near future (saving money and have a solicitor doing some work). Part of this process is getting myself more healthy and putting on weight - also being able to leave the situation with an amazing body will give me more confidence as I will be able to prove that I am strong enough to leave and also that I am able to look after myself. I've spent the last 3 years believing I was a useless, stupid, ugly, selfish person as that's what he has convinced me I am. I am now realising that I can control my own life, he doesn't get to tell me what to do all the time or tell me what to think.
  • apguitar2013
    Options
    sarahearra wrote: »
    The increase in bloating may be dehydration. Try upping your water intake. For your weight, try 8 cups for non-workout days and 10 to 12 cups on workout days. What I have found is that when I start my increased water regiment, I will make more trips to the bathroom for a week or so and then it levels off close to normal. By the time the bathroom runs level off, the bloating has usually gone away.

Thanks a lot, I hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a go
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    magpie0829 wrote: »
    Sorry, but your boyfriend sounds like an *kitten*. It is incredibly rude of him to tease you about your body to the point that you now feel like you have to change yourself physically to prove something to him. Not cool.

...I'm so glad you said what I was thinking.
  • TheChesireCat
    TheChesireCat Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Glad someone else said it on the boyfriend.

Backache is another sign of poor core.