Help! I've fallen and can't get up!

Options
I'm a 42 year old female with fibromyalgia, lupus, and type 2 diabetes, since my early 20's. I am not tech savvy at all. In fact I'm rewriting this post because I accidentally erased it the first time trying to post it. I've been using MFP since Sept. 28, 2014, and I love the app.
I lost my job due to my health May 1, 2014. I weighed 252 lbs that day, and was on Prednisone. Over the next 4 months, I weaned off of Prednisone and changed nearly all of my meds. This change resulted in about a 24 lb weight reduction, and then a plateau. That's when I found MFP. I'm so glad I did. It helped me lose another 45 lbs. as of Dec. 2015. That's a total of 69 lbs. I'm 5'10" and went from a size 20 to a size 12! My goal weight is 150 (because I have a small to medium bone structure), and I was 2/3 the way there!
Since January I have been having frequent flare ups. My vitamin D level is critically low (it's a 6 and it should be >30) and I'm having a hard time getting it to come up. Because of these things I have been unable to exercise like I need to to continue losing the weight. I've had a health insurance change and had to change some of my meds in January due to coverage/cost. Both of the diabetic meds I was on were changed. Since the changes I have been suffering terrible sweet cravings like never before. I try to fight it, but my energy and will power are sapped. As a result of all of these factors (and likely other factors), I have gained back 17 lbs and I need help.
My weight loss journey has been pretty much solo for the past 4 months. My husband and I had started working out together, but he had to change jobs and now he's so tired when he gets home that he doesn't want to work out. Also, it's usually late and I'm too tired by then anyway. I tried to do this journey to better health with my mother, but we're not good for each other. We enable each other and we are each other's "partner in crime" when it comes to diet cheats and missed workouts. So here I am, trying to get back in the right direction...alone. Alone, scared, and desperate. I'm so scared to gain the other 52 lbs back! And I NEED to lose what I've already gained back. My pain levels are staying up, I can't walk like I was able to, and I just generally feel so bad. I'm very open to any advice/ideas/suggestions. I really need support. I may have lost a few battles, but the war rages on! I'm wounded, but not dead! I need to know I can be victorious. I need to know I can be healthy and fit in spite of these terrible diseases. I need you!

Replies

• MsTonyaRenee
    MsTonyaRenee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    While I don't have fibromyalgia or lupus, I'm struggling with Autoimmune idiopathic hives. The meds I have to take for this make me exhausted. I also just had a baby. I had lost 65 lbs previous to my marriage, child, and health issues and have gained all but 15lbs back. It's incredibly depressing to think about. So starting last week I have put major effort into logging my food and starting to feel healthy again.

You are welcome to send a friend request. I am earnestly trying to be active on MFP :)
  • MedicJohnson88
    MedicJohnson88 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    28 here i have pcos and pre diabetic looking to lose about 80 to 100 lbs in the hopes of being the healthiest i will ever be and in the hopes of finally starting a family.feel free to add me
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm type 2 diabetic and have PCOS. My mother has lupus or lyme (doctor's won't diagnosis lyme since it's been too long since contraction) and is also diabetic, so I understand what you are up against! You know what the stakes are and the strategies to win the war! You will do this!

I've lost 110 lbs and I've hit a major bump in the road, myself.. I've been doing this since July last year and it's the longest I've ever kept up with a lifestyle change. My willpower is breaking down more often. I get lots of compliments and some saying I don't' need to lose anymore, so that plays in my head that I don't need to keep going. But I have a goal and I want to get closer to it! I want to be in the 140lbish range (I'm 5'5''). I know BMI is silly, but I want to be in the healthy range for my height will some wiggle room. I'm adding you! :smiley:
  • DeliRoutledge79
    DeliRoutledge79 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 36 and been told I have oesteoarthritis which is quite a young age. Also been told that my weight is making everything worse especially on my hips. This has kicked me right up the jacksie to do something about it. My diary is open, I try to post daily and I have started a blog to help me on my journey. Sometimes writing everything down can be quite therapeutic and helps you digest your habits and lifestyle and it also encourages and helps others. give it a go It might just help....plus I find when I am doing my blog it stops me thinking about food! Feel free to add me if you need friends.
  • RhondaDesiree120
    RhondaDesiree120 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have Lupus and I'm gluten intolerant. I changed my eating habits. I'm off all meds except an occasion Aleve. I eat clean. I've given up all sodas, bread, & pasta and I'm cutting back on sugar & sodium. I've lost 42 lbs. I haven't felt this good in a long time. I've lost 2 sizes. I have three goals I strive for every day. My water, 10,000 steps & I use an app called every move. Using the app Every Move, I work for a very active day 6 days a week. I've found if I meet those goals every day, the weight melts off. Plus I monitor my calories & measure & record EVERYTHING I put in my mouth. I also started a weight loss journal. By journaling I'm learning what works for me, what doesn't & the changes I need to make. It's all possible if you are consistent & put in the work. There is no magic pill, and no easy fixes. The only magic is in sweating daily.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ronda. It can't hurt to give up some chemicals and eat whole foods like they are found in nature. Drink water instead of sweet tasting drinks. Ask your doctor to recommend exercise.
  • sdelrie98
    sdelrie98 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great info. I have decided to start eating cleaner. I know that exercise helps tremendously, so I joined a gym. My husband thinks it was an impulsive and kind of foolish decision. He wasn't really that happy about it. But, I have been thinking a lot about it lately. I used to be an avid outdoorsman, but lupus has stolen a lot of that from me. I love the outdoors and swimming. The gym may not be outdoors, but there is a lap pool and a warm therapy pool.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I was going to recommend working out in a warm pool, so it's great that you've joined a gym that has one. Don't overdo it, especially in the beginning. It's really okay to just move around for a few minutes each time. Build up your stamina slowly. Any movement is better than none. The thing is, you'll want to avoid a flare up or making yourself exhausted.

A recumbent bike is another no-impact way to burn some calories. But again, don't overdo it.

I can't give any advice about your meds or the side effects you're having from them. Your doctor or a diabetic coach should be able to help you through that.
  • SSweet001
    SSweet001 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I can relate to Deli. I've been suffering from arthritis for many years. I've had both knees replaced in my 40's and just had hand surgery 4 weeks ago. It's absolutely awful! I've been very active my whole life but the joint replacements definitely changed the way I move. I totally understand what it's like to be suffering and feeling trapped. This app is wonderful. I've gained back 8 pounds and I wasn't at goal yet. So as usual. I start over. I'm the queen of starting over. I'd love more friends so feel free to add me.
  • angsundliebe
    angsundliebe Posts: 16 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Im so so sorry for your ailments. Have you tried water aerobics? I think. That might be worth a shot! Best of luck you can do this!