The emotional up & downs of the weight loss journey

Options
NasMax
NasMax Posts: 138 Member
So.. let’s take a quick look at an example of a long term trend & how most people feel during (if they don’t quit before the end that is)

lets use 12 weeks for an example:

For this example, we’re going to say that the target is just 1lb per week, and we’re weighing ourselves every day, then taking the average weight for the week for week to week comparisions.

WEEK 1: Weight is up & down every day (due to normal changes in water weight), and the end of week avg is 200lbs

WEEK 2: As always, weight is up & down everyday, and the end of week avg is 198lbs.

( Self talk – “That’s a 2lb drop from last week, yay!!!” )

WEEK 3: As always, weight is up & down everyday, and the end of week avg is again 198lbs.

( Self talk – “No change this week, BOOOO!!” )

WEEK 4: As always, weight is up & down everyday, and the end of week avg is 197lbs

( Self talk – “Only 1lb loss, that’s ok-ish”)

WEEK 5: As always, weight is up & down everyday, and the end of week avg is 196lbs

(Self talk – that’s another 1lbs,… I’m happy with that! )

WEEK 6: As always, weight is up & down everyday, and the end of week avg is 196lbs

(Self talk – no change, I’m doing something wrong, its not working, I might quit if it doesn’t work again next week!)

WEEK 7: As always, weight is up & down everyday, and the end of week avg is 194lbs

(Self talk – thats 2lb loss, whoop! I’m happy but I WISH weight loss was more consistent!)

WEEK 8: As always, weight is up & down everyday, and the end of week avg is 193lbs

(Self talk – 1lbs loss, ok I suppose, but I want more, so again I’m privately disappointed)

WEEK 9: As always, weight is up & down everyday, and the end of week avg is 192lbs

(Self talk – only 1lb again, I don’t even look at 1lb as a good achievement anymore at this stage)

WEEK 10: As always, weight is up & down everyday, and the end of week avg is 191.5

(Self talk – Barley any change, definitely something wrong, I’m really pissed off & I’m thinking about quitting)

WEEK 11: As always, weight is up & down everyday, and the end of week avg is 189

(Self talk – That’s a 2.5lb loss, yay! I wish every week was like this! )

WEEK 12: As always, weight is up & down everyday, and the end of week avg is 187

(Self talk – That’s another 2lb loss, awsome, I’m really happy with that! )

Now let’s take a step back from the week to week up & down short term results,
& let’s look at the long term trend:

Reality = 13lbs of weight loss!

(Self talk – wow I wasn’t looking at the big picture, maybe I should have focused on that and avoided all the stress and up and down emotions… yay!!!)

Unfortunately most people won’t reach the end of their journey, as they’ll get way too caught up on the day to day & week to week results (or rather, DATA) and will quit out of frustration & lack of patience and go looking for something else…. which they won’t finish or stick to… and will spend the rest of their lives repeating this pattern.

Consider this… if it’s taken YEARS of abuse to get your body into it’s current state, you’re not going to undo all those years worth of damage in just a week or two.

PATIENCE! :smile:

Replies

• lfoley5
    lfoley5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this! I have been struggling with wanting to see more of a wight loss and this definitely motivated me to keep going.
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Totally right. So many people I speak to give up after a few weeks when they don't see a difference. The time I made the most progress overall was the time it took the longest to do but I just kept plugging on. More people need to read this.
  • NasMax
    Options
    lfoley5 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for posting this! I have been struggling with wanting to see more of a wight loss and this definitely motivated me to keep going.

awsome, great to hear! :smile:
  • NasMax
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Totally right. So many people I speak to give up after a few weeks when they don't see a difference. The time I made the most progress overall was the time it took the longest to do but I just kept plugging on. More people need to read this.

That's how you win the long game! What did your plan look like? :smile:
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to comment to keep this thread active! Great post!
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I agree with this so much! I remember being SO MAD with myself for basically the entire month this past February because I thought I wasn't losing fast enough day to day. However, in March I looked back and I actually did lose 4 lbs, and my goal was 1 lb a week. So I was mad for no reason! It really is the long game that matters, it is your weight from month to month, not day to day or even really week to week.
  • fxortolano
    fxortolano Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Keep Plugging!
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Pfft, that's nothing compared to the mind games that happen in maintenance :p

But yeah, totally spot on :)
  • rosadoveronica76
    rosadoveronica76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Love this post!
  • redmaryclare
    redmaryclare Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great post
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    :)

Progress photos are a life saver, because at times where water retention masks fat loss, the photos speak for themselves.

I also very highly recommend the app Libra, where you plug in your weight whenever you'd like (daily, weekly, etc) and it shows you a graph that sums up your downward trend, despite all the normal fluctuations. Sometimes I get so so frustrated, but Libra will assure me that I'm right on track losing 1.5 lbs per week. It takes the stress right out of weighing myself.
  • jonb1980
    jonb1980 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I needed to see this post. Thank you!
  • cranberry509
    cranberry509 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    NasMax wrote: »
    Consider this… if it’s taken YEARS of abuse to get your body into it’s current state, you’re not going to undo all those years worth of damage in just a week or two

Couldn't summarize this better! Thank you. I have now set my plan for years... As for now, I've lost around 10 pounds in the last 2.5 months and I keep calm and patient.
  • NasMax
    Options
    erinc5 wrote: »
    I agree with this so much! I remember being SO MAD with myself for basically the entire month this past February because I thought I wasn't losing fast enough day to day. However, in March I looked back and I actually did lose 4 lbs, and my goal was 1 lb a week. So I was mad for no reason! It really is the long game that matters, it is your weight from month to month, not day to day or even really week to week.

100% agree with you! :smile:
  • NasMax
    Options
    kmbrooks15 wrote: »
    Weight loss is definitely a marathon, not a sprint. And it's not linear either--you won't see a nice straight downward sloping line on a graph; it will actually look more like a lie detector test with all the ups and downs. That's why I try to set mini-goals for myself. 63 pounds just seems insurmountable. So I set short-term goals. I'm down 20 pounds, and now my next goal is to get into the 170s. Then my goal will be to get to the lower end of the 170s, specifically 173, because that will be 30 pounds, and so forth. Like the old adage: "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!"

exactly!
  • NasMax
    Options
    NasMax wrote: »
    Consider this… if it’s taken YEARS of abuse to get your body into it’s current state, you’re not going to undo all those years worth of damage in just a week or two

Couldn't summarize this better! Thank you. I have now set my plan for years... As for now, I've lost around 10 pounds in the last 2.5 months and I keep calm and patient.

awsome! whats the plan? :smile:
  • NasMax
    Options
    :)

Progress photos are a life saver, because at times where water retention masks fat loss, the photos speak for themselves.

I also very highly recommend the app Libra, where you plug in your weight whenever you'd like (daily, weekly, etc) and it shows you a graph that sums up your downward trend, despite all the normal fluctuations. Sometimes I get so so frustrated, but Libra will assure me that I'm right on track losing 1.5 lbs per week. It takes the stress right out of weighing myself.

that sounds amazing, I'll check that out.. thanks! :smile:
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post, thank you!

I just want to add that for people with less to lose, the weight changes are typically smaller because we're on a .5 to 1 lb per week rate of loss. Plus, consider the regular TOM water retention each month experienced by many women. Thus, the mind games can be extra-harrowing! But the underlying message is the same: inform yourself properly about realistic goals and strategies, think big picture, watch trends, be disciplined and be VERY patient.

Thanks again for the OP.