wearing shoes with @ home workouts?

Options
dlpnrn2b
dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
SIlly question I know, but I use to wear my shoes to workout in my living room but in the last few days, decided to try it w/o them and it seems to be easier on my joints and I do not have shin pain at night anymore .. Do you wear your shoes during workouts at home?

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I have a thick carpet so i dont. i did it once and i felt my shoes got in the way. But if you are on a floor i would suggest some support.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out at home I would wear my training shoes and my feet would ache.. tried without and its soo much more comfortable and no more aching feet :bigsmile: Do what is more comfortable for you.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Depends on the workout. Insanity or treadmill then yes. Everything else no. I say if it works for you then go for it.
  • littleleisha
    littleleisha Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I've actually never thought about this. I don't wear shoes when I work out at home because I don't wear shoes in the house....or I've just never thought to put them on, not sure. Well, anyway, I never wear shoes for an at home work out. However, I do want to get those Vibram shoes (the ones that look like toe socks but are shoes) and I would probably wear those in the house for a workout.
  • jess91787
    jess91787 Posts: 2
    Options
    I've tried it without shoes and my feet end up hurting. I work out to Jillian MIchaels nightly after a half hour to 45 minute walk in my concrete basement with extra carpet pieces as my padding. Shoes work best for me.
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    the workouts I do have a lot of kicks and jumps so I always wear my shoes when I work out....my husband used to never wear shoes and after a few months started having joint pains. He invested in a good pair of shoes and he said that his workouts have improved a lot.

I guess it depends on what sort of workout you are doing at home. Anything high impact, I have always read the "experts" recommend you wear shoes.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I was doing the Turbo jam dvd's a lot at home but my right knee started to hurt and I figured it was due to the friction of the carpet and my shoes. I didn't go barefoot but I did try shoes with less tread on them... some sketchers I have had for a while are reletively smooth on the bottom and they are very light and more like barefoot running shoes in reference to size. I was thinking of getting one of the rolly mats that are used under chairs to help them roll on carpet.

Maybe I should try doing it with just my socks on (I don't want rug burn on my feet!)
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    When jumping around and making quick movements with my feet I wear them.
  • j3nic3
    j3nic3 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out at home I would wear my training shoes and my feet would ache.. tried without and its soo much more comfortable and no more aching feet :bigsmile: Do what is more comfortable for you.

Do you have tile or carpet at home? I have tile, and as much as I would like to workout without shoes I don't think I can do all that jumping without them.
  • shana151
    shana151 Posts: 4
    Options
    I wear shoes but I mostly use the elliptical or jog up and down the steps (I live in a 2 story) but I like to wear my toning shoes when I'm cleaning and stuff.
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I never do! I hate wearing shoes in general so I have never worn my shoes to do any exercise videos and have never had any troubles because of it.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the workout. Jumping around (plyometrics) tends to feel better with my shoes on. I only discovered it when I worked out after going for a run. Weight training, core etc I go barefoot. I have carpet, not too thick, pretty average
  • j3nic3
    j3nic3 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what sort of workout you are doing at home. Anything high impact, I have always read the "experts" recommend you wear shoes.

I think so too. I don't think I could do Insanity without my shoes
  • presea
    presea Posts: 3
    Options
    It really depends what I'm doing! If using the elliptical/treadmill, then yes. If not, then no! Shoes make me feel weighed down, and seem to get in the way.

It a pain in the bum having to constantly take them off/put them on, though!
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If i am only doing my walk at home dvd's then yes I wear my shoes, but if I am doing zumba, or my other cardio workouts where I have to move around then I am bare foot. I have carpet and it makes it harder to move around.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    when I first started doing my Jillian DVDs, I didn't. I always do on the treadmill, and have started using them for support while doing my dvds. For some reason my feet have been sore and tight feeling first thing in the morning and that is when I work out.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have to, my feet slide off the mat when doing certain stretches and yoga but sometimes I feel like I get a deeper burning when I don't wear them. Then again, I would never wear shoes if I didnt have to!
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I never wear shoes when I workout at home, it feels like I have more control without them.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I didn't. Then I started doing Insanity. I went out and bought a pair of crosstrainers just for those videos. But I also just have carpet on concrete (no padding).

Weights are out in the carport, so we usually wear shoes out there too.

Parkour is done in the yard without shoes.
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I do wear them when on the treadmill...always :) the workout I started is the 30 day shred.. the first 2 days I wore shoes and I felt like my feet were "heavy" and found it hard to pick them up as high as I wanted (butt kicks, jump rope) and the last 2 days w/o the shoes and performed much better.. I also go bare foot with my wii areobics except when I do the "free run".. I wood floors but a very thick rug in living area... thanks for all the replies