My 7.09 walk yesterday

Options
Just wanted to post about my huge walk yesterday with the dog in derbyshire. We walked for 7.09 miles, 15,644 steps in total and I burned over 2000 calories we walked up steep hills and steps and teamed with the fact it was so hot I really felt like I'd Acheived something so wanted to share with you all

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Great walk. Sounds like a lot of fun.

That's probably not 2,000 calories however unless you weigh 375 pounds.

http://www.runnersworld.com/fitness-calculators/calories-burned-calculator
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great walk but 2,000 cal sounds high. A 200lb person would expend about about 420 cal net walking 7 miles, even doubling that to account for terrain comes in under 1,000.

Still, something to be proud of!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    Great job on the walk, sounds like a great time.

Waffle and Brian are right though, you likely did not even burn 1000kcal, let alone 2000. MFP grossly overestimates calorie burns so be wary of that when considering eating back exercise calories.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you're not eating back that 2000 that you definitely didn't burn.

Unfortunately the heat outside doesn't burn extra calories, either. Sorry!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I ran a half last Saturday, and only burned approximately 1400 calories. Definitely a high estimate. Congrats on a great walk....Walking truly is the best exercise for cardio health, imho.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I wish I was burning an extra 2000 calories each day when I walk that much!
    Nice walk, though!
  • vickiebailey16
    vickiebailey16 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh I was wrong then
  • justinrye
    justinrye Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Good job on the walk.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I do a 7.67 walk every day, I'm 5'2, 120 pounds burned only 568 calories.

Good job on the walk. :)
  • Allanro
    Allanro Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Either way Vickie, you did great so be proud of what did.
  • robertsylte
    robertsylte Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

You couldn't be more wrong on this. Whenever it's very cold, or very hot outside, your body will work overtime to make sure your core temperature stays the same. This causes your body to spend more energy.
    When it's hot outside, you sweat more, and allthough sweat is only fluids, some salts and filth, it does create more work for your body, and work costs energy, and Kcal = energy.

The most efficient fat burn is when it's immensely cold. When we were working up north in the beringer sea, doing 18 hour days in -20C, you could eat pretty much whatever you wanted. I ate around 2kg of meat every day, and I still lost 8kg in 5 weeks at the height of winter. Not to mention a plate of potatoes or rice every dinner, and 4-10 slices of bread for breakfast, lunch, evening meal.

Too bad I kept my eating habits up after I quit ;)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Great job! The hilly terrain is quite a challenge. I can do 7 miles on the flat track near my house. Never have tried hiking that far though. Bet your doggie enjoyed it and slept well after that!
  • vickiebailey16
    Options
    violetness wrote: »
    I don't care about your calories. You walked SEVEN MILES!!! Way to go!
    Haha thank you
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to walk that 7 miles?
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to walk that 7 miles?

This is what I meant to ask as well. On a flat track it takes me an hour and 20 minutes to do 7 miles. I imagine hiking it would take a bit longer.
  • vickiebailey16
    Options
    It took us 4ish hours for the first few miles then we stopped off for drinks and walked for another hour we took it at a nice pace
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

You couldn't be more wrong on this. Whenever it's very cold, or very hot outside, your body will work overtime to make sure your core temperature stays the same. This causes your body to spend more energy.
    When it's hot outside, you sweat more, and allthough sweat is only fluids, some salts and filth, it does create more work for your body, and work costs energy, and Kcal = energy.

The most efficient fat burn is when it's immensely cold. When we were working up north in the beringer sea, doing 18 hour days in -20C, you could eat pretty much whatever you wanted. I ate around 2kg of meat every day, and I still lost 8kg in 5 weeks at the height of winter. Not to mention a plate of potatoes or rice every dinner, and 4-10 slices of bread for breakfast, lunch, evening meal.

Too bad I kept my eating habits up after I quit ;)

With 18 hour work days it probably doesn't matter what the temperature is. Now I want some steak and potatoes.