Do you eat canned seafood at work?

ClubSilencio
ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
Lately I've been really into trying the more exotic items in the canned seafood aisle such as mackerel and smoked oysters.

Do you think it would be rude to open a tin of those bad boys in the breakroom?

I would hate to be that guy but I sure would love the convenience of having something nutritious and protein-rich to eat given the time constraints.

Do you eat canned seafood at work? I could use the inspiration.

Replies

• OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Personally I wouldn't eat anything with a strong smell in a work break room.
  • Beaner63
    Beaner63 Posts: 69 Member
    Lately I've been really into trying the more exotic items in the canned seafood aisle such as mackerel and smoked oysters.

I would hate to be that guy but I sure would love the convenience of having something nutritious and protein-rich to eat given the time constraints.

You'd probably be just as hated as the people who microwave fish in break room.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2016
    I do. Not in the break room, but in the large open eating area. But I always remove the can etc. to an outside trashcan after. I throw a can of sardines on a big simple salad. After I eat, I throw THAT away outside as well.
  • caammph
    caammph Posts: 105 Member
    Heck yes I do. It's less offensive than some of the stuff my work mates eat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2016
    Beaner63 wrote: »

You'd probably be just as hated as the people who microwave fish in break room.

Funny, I get annoyed with the people who microwave frozen meals in the box in the break room. THAT smell grosses me out.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    I eat canned tuna all the time in the breakroom. But our breakroom is only used for two things: eating, and brewing coffee. So it is meant to smell like food anyways. If its a non smelly food, I usually just bring it to my work desk. I'm all about that mercury poison diet
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member

Oh HELL yeah. I would open a can of whoopass on someone that did that. We don't even allow people to heat up fish in our microwave. Too many people get nauseous from the smell!
  • jenovatrix
    jenovatrix Posts: 219 Member
    I eat tuna but I don't know if mackerel or oysters smell more than tuna. I wouldn't worry about it. You're not heating it up and that really spreads the smell around.

burned popcorn on the other hand...
  • crazymama2both
    crazymama2both Posts: 195 Member
    As someone who is subjected to sardines daily, I beg you to reconsider. It's awful. And literally, every, single, solitary, friggan day.
  • dawnsnarks
    dawnsnarks Posts: 101 Member
    No. Tops of my personal vendetta lists are those who use the breakroom microwave to reheat fish. For the love of all that's holy, don't do it.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Yes. It's OK in our office, plenty of people eat tuna and stuff. It's a health conscious office. I open the can of tuna, throw it in a salad and stir, it (the salad with tuna, once it's stirred up) doesn't stink, people say "that looks great!" The can does stink, I just tie it up in a plastic bag and throw it out.

Now one time I had sardines. Those I ate on the balcony, that's going too far I think.

It's nice to be thoughtful, but it can be taken too far. I am very happy I've never worked someplace that restrictive. I hate, hate the way broccoli in the microwave smells, eggs too but so what? It's not my lunch, I am not about to complain, and the smell goes away pretty fast.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    I avoid fish meals at work because the smell seems to just permeate the whole building. Tuna I may do since it isn't as strong smelling, but not oysters or sardines and never reheating it. On the rare occasion I do eat tuna I make sure to thoroughly rinse the cans before throwing away.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Yes. It's revenge on the popcorn poppers. Now that's a smell that I can't stand! But I never heat fish whether from a can or leftover filets.
  • hassankarimi82
    hassankarimi82 Posts: 153 Member
    Don't concern yourself too much with what others think. Just go for it dude! (I eat two cans of fish per day at work, colleagues have gotten used to it)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Why not? What smells good to one, smells like *kitten* to another. Fish is a food, and food is eaten and prepared in the break room. I've smelled non fish meals being heated that weren't very good, but who cares? That's what someone brought to eat.
  • njtorres92
    njtorres92 Posts: 17 Member
    Eat it!!!! I would o well
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    Don't be that guy man.
    Don't.
    Please.

If you insist, take your lunch outside.

• michmill98_1
    michmill98_1 Posts: 60 Member
    Smoked oysters have a pretty aggressive smell to them (similar to sardines/herring) and they are a bit messy like sardines. When I was still in an office, my cubicle neighbor detested all fish and would pitch a "snide comment fit" if any of us opened anything fish related at our desks. Like we couldn't even eat homemade tuna salad in a tupperware container, sushi, or have leftover, cold, grilled salmon on a salad type of fit. Those of us who liked fish ended up eating it outside our desk area. Our breakroom had no tables so we had to either eat at our desks or find an unused conference room. Our cubicles were right down the hall from the open concept breakroom so god forbid if somebody actually microwaved a dish with fish in! This person wasn't one of my favorite co-workers and it got to the point before I left that when we'd have working lunches where we could order off the deli menu, I'd pick something with fish at least a third of the time just to annoy her because she couldn't leave the room. >:)

Basically it boils down to how comfortable your office mates are with strong food smells. If you are lucky enough to have your own office instead of being packed in a cubicle farm, then you should be good (as long as you take the smelly stuff to an outside trashcan). If you're in a cubicle farm, then you should probably consult with your nearest cubemates.

Now that I telecommute fulltime, I can eat whatever smelly thing I want to for lunch!