Do you eat canned seafood at work?

Options

Replies

• mostein
    mostein Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I eat canned tuna every once in awhile and I just asked my co-workers if the smell bothered them before I did it the first time. I workout during my lunch break so I eat at my desk but I offered to go elsewhere if they found it bothersome. I think if you are eating at a work space it is polite to ask but if you are eating in a breakroom anything is fair game!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I would.

I used to use food in the office anyway I could. One project lead insisted on hour long lunch time status meetings. No lunch provided despite that being policy. After complaining several times I started bringing in Subway sandwiches with lots of herbs and oil(he was a frequent Subway eater). He quickly found a different time of day.

I don't know WHAT they put on some of those Subway sandwiches but the smell is SO strong! My husband gets them for dinner when he doesn't feel like cooking (we eat dinner separately due to schedules) and if I happen to be home when he brings one home I have to go in the other room and close the door. I think part of it is the red onions, but when I use red onions at home they aren't that strong. Anyway, just glad I'm not the only one to find those sandwiches smelly.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I would.

I used to use food in the office anyway I could. One project lead insisted on hour long lunch time status meetings. No lunch provided despite that being policy. After complaining several times I started bringing in Subway sandwiches with lots of herbs and oil(he was a frequent Subway eater). He quickly found a different time of day.

I don't know WHAT they put on some of those Subway sandwiches but the smell is SO strong! My husband gets them for dinner when he doesn't feel like cooking (we eat dinner separately due to schedules) and if I happen to be home when he brings one home I have to go in the other room and close the door. I think part of it is the red onions, but when I use red onions at home they aren't that strong. Anyway, just glad I'm not the only one to find those sandwiches smelly.

I developed an aversion to Subway's odor when I was pregnant and I still have it nearly 10 years later.
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    well, I work a little too close to the breakroom for that...my best friend is right by it and it can get so smelly. Pouch tuna is fine I think though or pre-made tuna. We have an attorney who regularly heats up his salmon and I love salmon but in the office where the ventilation is not so good -- its just not a pleasant afternoon smell.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you work. We do have a dedicated lunchroom, but one of our teams is stationed right outside the door. We have a sign saying not to eat anything that smells less than pleasant inside as they have to smell it all day. If we bring smelly food we have to eat on the loading dock, which houses our recycle& compost compactors, which of course smells like death.

I can get away with pouch/flavored tuna, and i peel my eggs at home. That's about as good as it gets.
  • Beaner63
    Beaner63 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    mpat81 wrote: »
    I eat sardines once in awhile. I bag the can and seal it before throwing it out. Nobody has ever said a thing about it. Neither would I complain about someone else's reasonable, healthy lunch. Some people are so uptight, thinking they have a right to never be offended, inconvenienced or annoyed.

Thanks to being a kid and not knowing about red tide, I got sick from eating some whiting I caught and cooked. Now, the smell of fish makes me nauseous and has on occasion made me actually vomit. Just the smell.

Puking as you walk by the lunch room is much more than just being "Offended, inconvenienced, or annoyed."
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Probably best to eat in your car. No one likes the smell of bait.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Go for broke - bring in Hákarl.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Go for broke - bring in Hákarl.

Or surströmming!

German food critic and author Wolfgang Fassbender wrote that "the biggest challenge when eating surströmming is to vomit only after the first bite, as opposed to before".
  • Everlearn
    Everlearn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do it. Smoked oysters and/or kippered snacks, at least a couple times a week. I rinse off the lids, and rinse out the tins, when done. And I put them in the outside recycling container right away so the smell doesn't linger. By and large, it seems to take care of the smell.

Does nothing for the people who are disgusted by me eating smoked oysters or kippered snacks, but hey, haters gonna hate.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Beaner63 wrote: »
    I eat sardines once in awhile. I bag the can and seal it before throwing it out. Nobody has ever said a thing about it. Neither would I complain about someone else's reasonable, healthy lunch. Some people are so uptight, thinking they have a right to never be offended, inconvenienced or annoyed.

Thanks to being a kid and not knowing about red tide, I got sick from eating some whiting I caught and cooked. Now, the smell of fish makes me nauseous and has on occasion made me actually vomit. Just the smell.

Puking as you walk by the lunch room is much more than just being "Offended, inconvenienced, or annoyed."

My daughter had serious food poisoning from baked beans. To this day makes her sick just to think about beans. So, I guess nobody can bring baked beans to work.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yeesh, idk if I would just because so many people can be so sensitive to those smells. Maybe take a poll at work?

At one of my previous jobs someone put a sign on our microwave, "NO MORE CHITTERLINGS IN THE MICROWAVE - JESSE, THIS MEANS YOU!!" I mean they even called him out, hahaha. The smell was horrendous.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Beaner63 wrote: »

Sure, but should the entire office need to restrict their food preferences for one individual? I think that's the question here. I wish I could have a blanket rule against perfume in all places I go, it often triggers an asthma attack. Also far more than being simply offended or inconvenienced but I also realize it's just not going to happen, can't keep all the ladies away from their perfume. Never really around men/cologne. But same problem I'd assume.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    wow most places here are scent free so no perfumes allowed
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I worked in an office where all our computers were on one shared work space. My manager would sit down right next to me every morning, at 6am, and eat a can of sardines.

I didn't mind as long as he didn't put the tin in our shared garbage can, which he did a few times. I said something and from then on he took it to a can with a lid in the breakroom.

I'm in the "no" camp on microwaving fish though. Just please don't.
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yes I add it to my pre-made salad or on a toast with avacado and tomatoes...I usually rinse the can out in hot water before throwing in the recycle can. That way the smell is removed.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I've seen those tins of sardines and oysters in the store, but I didn't believe anyone actually bought and ate them!!! Wow. You learn new stuff every day :)

Maybe I need to expand my repertoire of canned fish...
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I've seen those tins of sardines and oysters in the store, but I didn't believe anyone actually bought and ate them!!! Wow. You learn new stuff every day :)

Maybe I need to expand my repertoire of canned fish...

I've tried almost every brand of sardines. I like Wild Planet (packed in water) the most. Needs very little help.

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    I would throw out the tin in a garbage can outside of the room and bring gum or a mint for afterwards.
    I eat tuna from the package sometimes but I throw out the package seperately.
    Enjoy your canned seafood
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I throw away the can and the container I eat the salad in outside though. I don't care about the smell while I'm eating. Other people are eating smelly hard boiled eggs.