Do you eat canned seafood at work?

Options

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Love the post by @richln! I would definitely say no to eating anything with a strong odor at work, but I think it depends on your specific work environment. If everyone brings smelly food on a daily basis then I guess you'd fit right in. Otherwise, NO.
  • racheladkins2002
    racheladkins2002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Our work actually has a posted policy that includes no strong smelling foods (and it is enforced). You may also want to see if your workplace has a policy.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been really into trying the more exotic items in the canned seafood aisle such as mackerel and smoked oysters.

Do you think it would be rude to open a tin of those bad boys in the breakroom?

I would hate to be that guy but I sure would love the convenience of having something nutritious and protein-rich to eat given the time constraints.

Do you eat canned seafood at work? I could use the inspiration.

All the time. Others opinions of the food I bring to work is of no consequence to me...
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Ugh no
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Maybe eat it in the bathroom ha
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'll eat canned seafood at work. I've already mixed it into a salad or whatever I'm making, though. I don't bring the can.

I'll heat seafood at work, too. Granted, it's in sealed containers/packages so the smell is no more than anyone else generates using the microwave. Plus, it's in a dedicated eating area, so as far as I'm concerned if the smell is food-related that's where it belongs. I'd feel differently about it if it was next to offices, or was used for other purposes.

Besides, anyone who doesn't like the smell of someone's food can eat outside (we have a nice courtyard with tables and chairs) or go to a neighboring building and use their public eating areas. No one complains about such things here. We're so multicultural that it's guaranteed that a good number of people are heating something Americans would consider stinky - either seafood (folks from Asia) or heavily spiced and aromatic food (folks from Africa and India).
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I eat it in my own personal office.

Then I walk down the hall and throw the container in the break room trash can.
  • clairelouisekaa
    clairelouisekaa Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Yep mackerel pretty much every day !!!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I eat canned seafood at work, but I don't heat it up. Mostly tuna salads or pre-made crab cakes. No one has ever complained about it. Now the guy that burned his popcorn once....that's a whole different story ;)
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I would probably feel self-conscious about it, but if I really wanted seafood, I'd bring a cold seafood salad (no can/juices) and throw my trash away outside. I would never heat fish in the microwave- I don't even do that at home. I have a "no reheat" personal policy about seafood :)
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I work in a small office so I avoid bringing strong smelling foods to work.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I eat sardines once in awhile. I bag the can and seal it before throwing it out. Nobody has ever said a thing about it. Neither would I complain about someone else's reasonable, healthy lunch. Some people are so uptight, thinking they have a right to never be offended, inconvenienced or annoyed.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Our work actually has a posted policy that includes no strong smelling foods (and it is enforced). You may also want to see if your workplace has a policy.

I've always wondered if work places with smelly food policies also have smelly people policies? I HATE most people's perfumes.
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options

I've always wondered if work places with smelly food policies also have smelly people policies? I HATE most people's perfumes.

How funny- that's EXACTLY what I thought when I read this topic yesterday.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    mpat81 wrote: »
    I eat sardines once in awhile. I bag the can and seal it before throwing it out. Nobody has ever said a thing about it. Neither would I complain about someone else's reasonable, healthy lunch. Some people are so uptight, thinking they have a right to never be offended, inconvenienced or annoyed.

It's funny. I worked with a married couple for ages. One spouse told us ALL to never microwave anything with garlic or onions because the other spouse disliked it. Ummm, too bad? Nothing with garlic or onions? Seriously? Each of us in turn basically told the spouse that instead of all of us accommodating her spouse, perhaps her spouse could make the accommodation.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

I know some doctors' offices have policies against perfume, cologne, and the like. I'd imagine they have a policy against the doctors/techs/receptionists/etc eating highly-odorous foods, too.

With regards to OP - I'd say go ahead. If someone says anything, then just don't do it again.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I would.

I used to use food in the office anyway I could. One project lead insisted on hour long lunch time status meetings. No lunch provided despite that being policy. After complaining several times I started bringing in Subway sandwiches with lots of herbs and oil(he was a frequent Subway eater). He quickly found a different time of day.
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Yes, but don't heat it up
  • mgookin1
    mgookin1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Everyone in my work place eats tuna and other seafood items. It's a large breakroom and I have never noticed the smell.