Are Old Navy XXL's true plus sizes?

Options
Do you ever wonder if Old Navy XXL's are true plus sizes or do they just run big? Because in most size charts I range anywhere from 2X to as much as 5X in my waist size is 47" but I am swimming in 4X and 5X's I don't even own a 5X! I do have a 4X sweater and it is too big on me. I wear a size 18 in jeans at Old Navy but those are even big on me. In some style jeans from Old Navy I can fit into a size 16 but it is snug. But I am just wondering if they run big or is it just me or not.

Replies

• MudstainSally
    MudstainSally Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    They run really big. I would say that xxl is equivalent to plus size 2x. For me personally, all of Old Navy's clothing fits weird and I usually only get the occasional sweater there.
  • 120poundstogo
    120poundstogo Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    They run really big. I would say that xxl is equivalent to plus size 2x. For me personally, all of Old Navy's clothing fits weird and I usually only get the occasional sweater there.
    That's cool thanks. What is a good brand of plus size clothes for you?

• MudstainSally
    MudstainSally Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Last time I bought clothing for work:

Liz Claiborne 1x tops, 16w pants or from Torrid size 1 shirts 18 pants. Lee Jeans 18w. Dickies Pants 20. Dickies polos xxl.
  • 120poundstogo
    Options
    Awesome thank you!
  • 120poundstogo
    Options
    Last time I bought clothing for work:

Liz Claiborne 1x tops, 16w pants or from Torrid size 1 shirts 18 pants. Lee Jeans 18w. Dickies Pants 20. Dickies polos xxl.
    I can also get clothes at Old Navy for .47 cents there so
    I like that some cute tops.
  • Rawr619
    Rawr619 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I feel that Old Navy sizing is weird. I am 5'5 135 lbs and fit into size 2 jeans and some xsmall shirts I'm swimming in at Old Navy. I know when I go to other stores I wear more around a size 6 jean and a small to medium shirt.
  • 120poundstogo
    Options
    aesmith628 wrote: »
    I feel that Old Navy sizing is weird. I am 5'5 135 lbs and fit into size 2 jeans and some xsmall shirts I'm swimming in at Old Navy. I know when I go to other stores I wear more around a size 6 jean and a small to medium shirt.
    Hmmm... interesting find, yeah other stores seem smaller in size in regular sizes. But I haven't found that in plus sizes yet.!

• kamack1215
    kamack1215 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree to what others are saying; Old Navy sizes run large. I have a 35.5-36inch stomach (around belly button), 31-32inch waist (rib cage) and 37inch hips (at hip bone) and I bought a dress there that is a small and it is baggy in places (I can fit in a snug size 8us dress) also all my meduim tops are getting too big. I am a medium to large in stores like American Eagle and Smart Set
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    They do run large in a lot of things (honestly in long jeans they are pretty TTS though). When I was still in a 16/18 I wore their XL stuff comfortably, not sure if that helps?
  • surprisethekids
    surprisethekids Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think some of it depends on the item, too. My waist measurement is about the same as yours. I just now got into some size 22 denim capris, but I also fit in to regular sized XL flannel pajama pants comfortably. I have 3x t-shirts I swim in, and 3x t-shirts that hug every bump and I'm not comfortable wearing yet. I find the sizing to be more standardized at other stores.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Old Navy is notorious for vanity sizing. I swim in their size XS shirts, and wear size 2 jeans from there, where other stores I may be a S in shirts and size 3-4 in jeans.

However, when I wore plus size clothing, I was a 16 at Torrid and an 18 at Old Navy...
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    My personal experience with Old Navy clothes is this:
    If it is cotton, it will run big.
    If it is stretchy material like spandex, it will run REALLY big (I bought a stretchy wrap dress and OMG it was ginormous)
    If it is denim, it will be true to size/close to true to size
    If it is a button down blouse/silky/"fancy", it will run small.

I can wear a size large in some Old Navy and some I can't even fit into an XXL. I typically wear a size 17/18 in jeans, but depending on the ON jeans, I can wear a 16.
    Button down blouses? Forget about it. They do not cover my bust.
  • cariduttry
    cariduttry Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i think ON sizing is all over the place. i have size 18 ON jeans in my closet that fit...and size 18 ON jeans in my closet that don't. button-downs do not work for my because i have a large chest. sometimes xxl shirts are too big, sometimes they are too small. xl pajama pants fit me. i feel like goldilocks looking for the right porridge LOL.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    cariduttry wrote: »
    i think ON sizing is all over the place. i have size 18 ON jeans in my closet that fit...and size 18 ON jeans in my closet that don't. button-downs do not work for my because i have a large chest. sometimes xxl shirts are too big, sometimes they are too small. xl pajama pants fit me. i feel like goldilocks looking for the right porridge LOL.

The cuts of their jeans drive me crazy sometimes. I fit in a 6 or an 8 everywhere else, I bought some used Dreamer and Diva cut jeans at the thrift store (discontinued styles I know) in an 8 and they are tight as hell for some reason. I'm not sure if the person before me shrunk the hell out of them in the dryer or they were weird cuts.

FTR the Old Navy "Curvy" style suuuuuucks in a skinny jean- the calves are so, so baggy. There isn't really any style of denim from them I care for anymore other than Rockstar which I have no fit issues with siiiiigh

#oldnavyproblems ;)
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Check out the old navy size chart online. The XXL is the equivalent of a 20, and falls somewhere between the measurements of their 18 and 20 (1X and 2X) in the women's plus range. For example, I usually either take an XXL in their regular range, or a 2x in their plus range. The 1x in their plus range may fit, but is occasionally small, and the 2x in their plus range usually fits, but is occasionally large.
  • 120poundstogo
    Options
    I sometimes can't believe I lost enough weight to fit into these smaller plus sizes I have to pick myself because it certainly does not look like I lost 40lbs. The only place I can tell is in my face! LOL
  • 120poundstogo
    Options
    kamack1215 wrote: »
    Yes, I agree to what others are saying; Old Navy sizes run large. I have a 35.5-36inch stomach (around belly button), 31-32inch waist (rib cage) and 37inch hips (at hip bone) and I bought a dress there that is a small and it is baggy in places (I can fit in a snug size 8us dress) also all my meduim tops are getting too big. I am a medium to large in stores like American Eagle and Smart Set
    My waist size is still huge it is 47" around my belly button and 46" at the hip bone and my bust is 49" around the fullest part and under is 44". I bought a sweater dress in a large but it was still snug a large? I mean come on I fit into a large? I am still huge! I guess it was the style that fit me right. That is great you fit into AE stuff that is awesome! Thanks for your reply.
  • 120poundstogo
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    They do run large in a lot of things (honestly in long jeans they are pretty TTS though). When I was still in a 16/18 I wore their XL stuff comfortably, not sure if that helps?

I am sorry what is TTS? Yes I am swimming in my jeans and they are the skinny cut jean type. My stomach can seem to take a size 16 in some of their style jeans and others I'm def a size 18 but I just can't believe I am small enough to wear those sizes when I am used to wearing 3X in everything in tops and 2X in bottoms from Kmart! I am so happy to wear Old Navy stuff since Kmart closed down here. Yes depending on the style I can wear XL stuff at ON. But I am thinking they are on the large size but generously. Thanks for your reply.
  • 120poundstogo
    Options
    I think some of it depends on the item, too. My waist measurement is about the same as yours. I just now got into some size 22 denim capris, but I also fit in to regular sized XL flannel pajama pants comfortably. I have 3x t-shirts I swim in, and 3x t-shirts that hug every bump and I'm not comfortable wearing yet. I find the sizing to be more standardized at other stores.

Yes the style comes into play whether you wear a size smaller like XL or larger XXL. Mostly I wear a XXL because in blouses my shoulders are bigger so I have to wear the XXL. That is so nice that I have someone besides myself that has the same measurements! I don't feel all alone! Has it taken you long to get to these measurements? It took me last year to get to these measurements and I am trying to lose more but it is taking so long now. Time for some XXL t-shirts for you it sounds like! I know Target runs real big too. Thanks for your reply.
  • 120poundstogo
    Options
    vixtris wrote: »
    Old Navy is notorious for vanity sizing. I swim in their size XS shirts, and wear size 2 jeans from there, where other stores I may be a S in shirts and size 3-4 in jeans.

However, when I wore plus size clothing, I was a 16 at Torrid and an 18 at Old Navy...

I like that term vanity sizing! Well bottom line is that I am actually a size 18 now and not in the 20's anymore yippy! Thanks for your reply.