Cranky AF!

Options
jenerek_md
jenerek_md Posts: 41 Member
edited May 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
And my husband is taking the brunt of it! Is anyone else finding the calorie restriction affects their mood? How are you handling it?

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    How severely are you restricting and are you focused on eating satiating foods? We all have cranky days but they shouldn't be very often.
  • jenerek_md
    Options
    1200/day. But I don't think I've been cranky ALOT just more than usual
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    I'm cranky on 1200 a day. My energy levels are too low, and hunger is always in the back of my mind. 1400-1500 calories is much more doable for me, and I still lose weight at a reasonable rate.
  • pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Have you read the forums here much. Plenty of hangry and cranky going round. Lol. I think maybe a lot of people use the forums as a tool to let off steam. :D
  • Adiemus200
    Adiemus200 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do 1200. I would be grumpy too. I don't know how people do it. I'm 5"1 and 152lbs and lose consistently on 1800 with exersise calories on top of that.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'd be cranky! I had a 1500 goal, then 1580, now 1650 and I lose steadily.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My man and I are both terrible when we are hungry. We have to plan snacks and often have food stashed in both our cars in case we are caught out running errands longer than expected. If we ever get at each others throats it's 99% of the time because we are hangry ahah!
    Personally I couldn't do 1200 calories, I am almost 6 foot tall - maybe consider something less aggressive if you're finding your mood is affected - I'd rather be happy than lose weight quickly.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    jenerek_md wrote: »

Is that a 500 a day deficit or more? I find that if I eat mostly lean meat and lots of veggies I don't get as hungry and cranky. Days I try to fit in fast food burgers and fries (lots of carbs) or desserts make it harder for me.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'd kill someone on 1200 calories. Seriously why torture yourself...or your husband?
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I would be terribly cranky trying to sustain on only 1200 calories. My bare minimum is 1400 on rest days and I am steadily losing at a good pace. What are your stats? Are you certain you cannot up your intake a tad?
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options

I am cranky on 1200 too! that's why I never stuck to 1200 and usually eat more.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I would be, too!
  • jenerek_md
    Options
    I'm wondering if it's my period... But still I'm way more touchy than usual. I have been doing 1200/day since I started a month ago, and only this week started to notice mood change.

I can probably up cals and see if it helps. I def notice when I eat clean calories is mostly lean protein and veg I feel better.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if it's my period... But still I'm way more touchy than usual. I have been doing 1200/day since I started a month ago, and only this week started to notice mood change.

I can probably up cals and see if it helps. I def notice when I eat clean calories is mostly lean protein and veg I feel better.

Maybe it's your bodies way of telling you it needs more calories/nutrients??

I would be a blithering mess on 1200 calories :sad:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yeah...after a few weeks of 1200 calories you gotta be checking your macros/micros. If you don't need to eat only 1200 I don't suggest it.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

Mind if I ask again what your deficit is? 1200 is fine for some and too low for others. Height and weight too if you're willing to share. That would allow us to run your numbers and help.
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    1200 cals sounds more like crash dieting then steady weight loss.

There can be long term issues as a result of extended periods of crash diets, typically people only do them for 2-6 weeks, so I hope the duration of your 1200 cal intake doesnt extend much further than yet.

Yeah you will be real cranky on 1200 cals.

What exactly are your weight loss goals per week?