When did you stop feeling like you were still fat (if ever)?

Hi Maintainers! I'm not here yet for another 24lbs (God willing by Christmas!) but I figured this would be a better place to ask this rather than in the weight loss boards for a longer term perspective.

When if ever did you stop feeling like you were fat/overweight/whatever term you prefer? Do you still find yourself doing things you did when you were overweight (ex. avoiding sitting near other people in a waiting area because you were taking up more than your fair share of chair, etc.)?

TIA for any thoughts you have :)

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I still look fat (in my midsection). I'm sure a lot of women would start a diet if they looked the way I do. Oh well. I like food too much.
  • dh_pye
    dh_pye Posts: 1 Member
    Honestly it all still depends on what I've ate that day. Last year went to multiple food psychologists for anorexia because I dropped 60-65 lbs in the course of 7 months by eating basically leaves. One of my friends who is quite muscular says that anybody who has dropped weight that fast or has a weightlifting lifestyle will most likely develop body dismorphia. Although I'm "fit" now 2 years after those bad times, I still see myself as fat on certain days.
  • jasonsunlee
    jasonsunlee Posts: 48 Member
    Still feel fat, new to maintenance after losing almost 90 lbs. I know logically that I'm not fat but I do still have plenty of fat on my body so it's easy to focus on that.

90 lbs?!? Way to go! That is pure dedication! Great job!
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Last few months for me. I have this sense that when I lean against a wall, or slouch a little bit in a chair, I'm a really skinny, lanky guy now. Lanky. Weird word to describe me, but I think that's what I am now.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts so far, they're really interesting and I'm seeing a lot of my own feelings in here!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I will always feel fat.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Ditto what zyxst ^ said.......I have what they call 'poor body image'.........I fear I will always feel fat. I was anorexic for about 10 years - felt fat then too.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    3 years into maintenance and I still have moments. I think it's something I'll deal with for the rest of my life.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    It took my head around a year to catch up with my new slimmer body, even yet 3 years on I still catch a glimpse of myself in a passing mirror/window and think wow, girl you are slim!
  • Bella77007
    Bella77007 Posts: 78 Member
    I still have my moments and I am a uk size 6, 5 ft 1 and weigh 102 pounds, I know I am not fat but mentally it took me a while to believe that and I still have times when I feel that I don't look as slim as I sound but that is often down to poor choice of clothing on my part, I still tend to pick things up that would have suited bigger me then return them for something more flattering.

What I do know is that I am not toned and that is something I intend to work on because I think I would look better toned even if it meant being a bit heavier than I am now.

The moment I knew I was honestly no longer fat though was when I saw photos of myself taken by other people, that was me just stood or sat there unaware of the photo being taken, not sucking anything in and it actually hit me that fat me was history.

In fact at Christmas weighing 106 pounds I was a bit upset by the photos and thought I looked sick and gaunt, I was going to put a few pounds back on but on reflection it was more due to the fact that I was exhausted at the time and not very well either, I am happy where I am now though.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I still look fat (in my midsection). I'm sure a lot of women would start a diet if they looked the way I do. Oh well. I like food too much.

yup me too
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I'm 5'3" and when I got under 140 I stopped feeling fat. I'm still shocked when I see pictures of myself or look in the mirror. My weight has been steady at 130 for about six months but I'm getting leaner. I think it takes a long while for your brain to catch up!