Neighbor Wakes Me Around 3 AM Every Morning

Options
13»

Replies

• Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Try talking to them first. If talking in person is awkward, perhaps leave a note to them politely explaining that their late-night rendezvous are louder than perhaps they realize, and that you thought they'd like to know to avoid any unwanted embarrassment (or however the hell you wanna tell them lmao).

I would say MOST would be too embarrassed to continue being obnoxious - and that's exactly what they're being; I know I'd wanna know if I was being so bloody obnoxious that it kept the neighbors up!

If they don't change or dismiss you, call them police next time. Tell them you heard a woman screaming next door and was worried for her safety.

If they STILL don't change, tell the landlord or do whatever petty ish you gotta do because at that point they're being damn children.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You should record the sound with your own notations, like Mystery Science Theater! Then send them a copy of your version of the play by play.
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,332 Member
    Options
    You should record the sound with your own notations, like Mystery Science Theater! Then send them a copy of your version of the play by play.

Oh youtube it! And be sure and share the link with us!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options

That would be hilarious!

But, really, I'd have to go with having the landlord say something first. That's part of their job. And, if that doesn't work, maybe have polite words with the people yourself.

And if *that* doesn't work, do all that fun, passive aggressive stuff. :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It's an apartment and there are noise restriction rules. Report them to management. Problem solved. They will learn to have sex more quietly or they will get warning upon warning and get kicked out.... I'm surprised no one has actually posted the "process as described by actual landlords" method yet. It's probably even in your rental agreement contract!

Now if what you're hearing is night terrors, a doctor's note will prevent management from taking action.
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    Buy a bullhorn and cheer them on. You can press the foghorn button as they finish.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    wilsoncl6 wrote: »
    OK, so this has been happening almost every weekday night for a couple of weeks now. I live in an apartment, whose construction is obviously subpar, and I awake out of a dead sleep by blood curdling screams almost every night between 2 AM and 3 AM. The first time it happened, I thought a woman outside was being murdered. I jumped out of bed and peered out my window and saw nothing until I realized that it was coming through my bedroom wall. Apparently, the neighbors attached to my apartment have decided that they want to go at it like rabbits every night around that time, which is cool with me. I'm happy that they're into each other. However, is it necessary for the female to scream as if someone is cutting her heart out? I tried wearing ear plugs but that only muffles the screams and I can still hear them enough to wake me up. The problem is that once I'm awake, I'm awake and I can't get back to sleep and have to get up at 4:30. Would it be rude to ask them to keep down the noise if possible? I don't want to embarrass them because I'm glad their having a good time but I need my sleep. I've looked into moving into another unit but they won't have another available in my size for another 2 months. What would you do?

Buy them a ball gag. You can get them on the cheap on amazon.

Edit; Never mind. I'm slow pony
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your neighbors or, if you're embarrassed, leave them a nice note. Something genuine and not snide. Assume they don't realize the sound is carrying and they would be quieter if they did. Give them the benefit of the doubt.

I had to leave a note for upstairs neighbors once because they did it on a table or piece of furniture that ended up shaking my entire apartment each time it slammed into the floor. I wrote it in a friendly and humorous tone and I could hear them laughing after they got the note. (Super thin floors/ceilings, y'all!) Never heard that particular noise again.

If they don't quiet down after the talk (or note) then talk to your landlord because there must be a building policy on noise after hours.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    AngelinaB_ wrote: »
    Get the broom and bang it to the wall loudly why they are at it and scream "quiet!". I did that before when I lived on an apartment complex. Hehe it worked tho blush:

The noise suddenly stopped and couldn't care less if they finished or not. They never were loud again.

Go back to bed in silence.

This is not directed to OP since his situation seems pretty clear, but in general I wanted to comment:

I lived in a building with extremely thin floors/walls for years and do not advocate this technique unless you've tried everything else. It works because it startles people but being startled is fundamentally unpleasant. Having someone come to your door and complain may be awkward or embarrassing but being startled can be uncomfortable and someone who is startled can be downright scary. You don't know what issues your neighbor may have, anxiety or PTSD or anger management or something else, and you don't know how they might react to being startled.

Please don't bang on ceilings/floors like this unless you've exhausted everything else. Go talk to them or leave them a nice note or talk to your landlord.