100 pounds to lose - Weekend get away ideas for loss reward?

Options
Shoebacha1
Shoebacha1 Posts: 2,113 Member
I live in Oklahoma and have 100 pounds to lose. I have come to realize that because of my time limitations, knee and elbow injuries and my PCOS, the 100 pound loss journey will be a long one. To keep myself motivated, I want to reward myself with a weekend getaway after every 20 pounds. I am looking for weekend get away ideas in the US to plan for and get excited about. Instead of a carrot cake on a stick in front of me while I work out, I want a beautiful destination to dream about, how I will look good in pictures and how my husband will be proud to have me on his arm while we explore. I know it will be several months between these trips, maybe even a year or more, so give me some ideas so I can start the research and the budgeting. :)

Replies

• Shoebacha1
    Options
    I love horseback riding, fishing, camping, kayaking, rollerblading, hiking, shopping, swimming, waterfalls, wildlife, snorkling, jet skiing, and amusement parks. Go!
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    What's your budget for both money and distance? Can you afford to fly?
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Yes, I can fly. Budget is flexible.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Someone on my profile suggested Door County Wisconsin. It is looking pretty cool for a spring or summer destination. Thinking I will hit my fist 20 pounds this fall/winter.
  • Citycat2015
    Citycat2015 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Whistler!
  • tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    mackinac island! it's an island in michigan, small enough that no cars are allowed. you get around by horse (with a drawn wagon or just saddle-back) or by bike. it's got so much charm.
    i have also been to door county, but this location is more unique.
  • tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    just saw you're into horses! so you should definitely look into mackinac island! :)
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Finger Lakes in New York, especially if you like wine.

The Laurel Highlands in Pennsylvania - Ohiopyle and the Frank Lloyd Wright designed homes. Camping, hiking, horses, and a house built over a waterfall! And, you're close to Pittsburgh, which is also a great weekend trip.
  • shanna_wainwright
    shanna_wainwright Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Once warm weather hits- Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyard is great! Lots of opportunities to stay active (walking, hiking, swimming), but its beautiful, people are great and who doesn't like the beach?
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    mackinac island! it's an island in michigan, small enough that no cars are allowed. you get around by horse (with a drawn wagon or just saddle-back) or by bike. it's got so much charm.
    i have also been to door county, but this location is more unique.

This sounds amazing! I am going to look into this one for sure!
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    Finger Lakes in New York, especially if you like wine.

The Laurel Highlands in Pennsylvania - Ohiopyle and the Frank Lloyd Wright designed homes. Camping, hiking, horses, and a house built over a waterfall! And, you're close to Pittsburgh, which is also a great weekend trip.

This sounds great, too! Thanks!
  • RhondaDesiree120
    RhondaDesiree120 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There is a place off the coast of Florida called Little Palm Island. Look it up on line. It looks like Paradise. I've never been, but it looks amazing. Good luck on your journey. Feel free to add me.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Oregon Coast. I bet you hubby is proud to have you on his arm already!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My daughter and her husband enjoy cruising. On each cruise they have a photo taken in their finest attire and these photos form a montage of her weight loss journey. When I got below 240, I did a 5K. When I get below 220, I'll do another. That's how I celebrate.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    My daughter and her husband enjoy cruising. On each cruise they have a photo taken in their finest attire and these photos form a montage of her weight loss journey. When I got below 240, I did a 5K. When I get below 220, I'll do another. That's how I celebrate.

This is an excellent idea. I just dont know that I can afford to do that 5 times. While I will lose it slower than I like, I hope I lose if fast enough that I cant afford to take a cruise each time I lose 20 pounds. However, I could do that after the first 20 and then at the 100 mark. Never been on one, I have been wanting to.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

I have never been to the Oregon Coast. Is it good snorkling there? I imagine it being cold for some reason.
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    There is a place off the coast of Florida called Little Palm Island. Look it up on line. It looks like Paradise. I've never been, but it looks amazing. Good luck on your journey. Feel free to add me.

I will look at it. I have always wanted to visit Florida, but dont care for big cities and crowded beaches. We went to Vieques Island in Puerto Rico for out honeymoon, and most of the beaches we went to we were the only ones there.
  • AnasNina
    AnasNina Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Shoebacha1 wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »

I have never been to the Oregon Coast. Is it good snorkling there? I imagine it being cold for some reason.

It's definitely not as warm as the Gulf, but the sights are amazing!
  • meganepreston
    meganepreston Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Lake Placid, NY: A quaint little mountain town with lots of outdoorsy things to do. Stay at Mirror Lake Inn (the best one there) if you can afford to, but there are lots of great lake-front hotels. Go during the fall for the leaf peeping. It's my go to vacation and hiking destination. You will want to stay longer than a weekend, trust me.

http://www.mirrorlakeinn.com/
    http://www.lakeplacid.com/
  • Shoebacha1
    Options
    Never been to New York, but I hear the right areas are beautiful. Fall is my favorite time of year, so sounds good!