I'M BACK! But first, some confessions....

Options
Hey MFPers!

So I'm not new to this site at all. In fact, MFP helped me lose 25 lbs so far towards my ultimate goal of 40-45lbs lost! However, I took a little break from the site because my obsession, for lack of a better word, was spirally out of control. I feel like the only way I can continue losing those last 15 lbs is to just lay everything out there and at least be honest with everyone on this site because I know you will all understand.

My mom had a history of anorexia, because she was obese in high school, and decided that it was her only way out. She was consistently on my about my weight, which really made me eat more because I figured, "Well, if my mom thinks I'm fat, then I'll just be fat." At my heaviest, I was 5'7" and weighed 185lbs. Not exactly ideal for an 18 year old just finishing her first year of college. So, when I made the decision on my own to shed the pounds, I was determined not to follow the same path as my mom. I started out doing everything by the book, exercising and eating the appropriate number of calories. And I started seeing fantastic results. I was completely in shock that the number on the scale kept going down.

Unfortunately, that didn't last very long. I started eating less and working out more, figuring that it would make my weight loss faster. I began hitting plateaus and not seeing the rapid results I thought I should be, strictly because I'm a stubborn now 20 year old. So, I turned to diet pills. I began taking them in hopes of getting rid of that plateau, and I did. Then came the water pills. My roommate tool them sometimes during her time of the month to feel less bloated. And, as it always happens, that roommate is a gorgeous, half-Korean former model (who I adore and is not at all egotistical), as well as my biggest supporter in this weight loss journey. It got to the point where I was eating very little, and counting calories was taking over my life. I was tired, crabby, and not a nice person, which I usually am.

Then, one day, I just had an epiphany. If I continued the road I was going down, I was going to have an eating disorder like my mother, and my cousin, and a few of my friends. Thankfully I knew that wasn't something I wanted, so I cut myself off from this site, and tried to see if I could keep up the healthy eating on my own, without counting calories, and maintain my weight. I'm proud to say that I have so far, and I'm actually 3 lbs down from the plateau of 160lbs at 157lbs.

So, with all that said, and since I'm home for the summer, it's time for me to come back on MFP and continue what I started. I'm starting the 30 Day Shred (again) today, and doing it all 30 Days this time, measurements and all. Hopefully I'll be down those last, PESKY, 15lbs before school starts in September, but if I'm not, I'll be fine because I've been insanely patient with this weight loss, as it took me close to 7 or 8 months to lose 25 lbs (I'm still a kid and still love the occasional slice of pizza haha).

Sorry this is so long, but this is a huge purge of mild guilt for me that I feel like I needed to honestly continue with this journey. Feel free to add me as a friend, and we can support each other throughout all of this together again! And to all of my MFP friends who might be reading this, thanks for all your help so far :) It truly means the world to me.

All my love and support,
Marissa

Replies

• fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    welcome back!
  • wdayton
    wdayton Posts: 18
    Options
    Glad you are back... you can do it!!
  • MB1967
    MB1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!

You came back so don`t beat yourself up about the "holiday" you had from MFP.

Confession is good the soul (so I`m told).

Let me know if I can help in any way.

:smile:
  • marsgirlly
    marsgirlly Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Welcome back - your story is really inspiring, and I'm glad you realized you were heading down the wrong road on the weight-loss journey!

P.S. I'm a rising Junior at American. DC University love :)
  • syiyi
    syiyi Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    you can do it!!! WELCOME BACK! LET ME KNOW HOW YOUR 30 DAYS GO!!! :)
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Welcome back and good luck on your journey!!
  • welly67
    welly67 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi I'm curious what is a 30 day shred? And well done
  • melissabell1984
    Options
    This is a great story of inspriation! You are doing great and because you recognize the fact that there is potential to slip, the MFP family is wonderful to help you thru those times. Skinny does equal Healthy ... but Healthy is what we should strive for!

You're doing a great job :) Keep it up!
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you took a break. You seem very level-headed and in-touch with your body's needs.

Keep it up!
  • gjprincess
    gjprincess Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Way to go! It takes a strong and intellegent person to realize when to stop and re-evaluate. Glad your back.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to do what you can to be healthy. Even with this site it is hard...I am a recovering anorexic from my high school days and was terrified to diet because I didn't want to relapse. I push myself to get those 1200 calories because I feel without seeing it in front of me, I would not eat enough. Now on days I work out a lot, I can push myself to eat 1800 or more of healthy calories which I'm very proud of. I know I appreciate the honest confession and if you need a friend to keep you going with those last 15 lbs or someone to relate to, feel free to add me :) Best wishes!
  • canuck_67
    canuck_67 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    good luck on your journey
  • pinkgirlzoe
    pinkgirlzoe Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    welcome back home. xxxxxx:wink:
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! What a very inspiring story! If you're looking for more friends feel free to add me!
  • erniebaby123
    erniebaby123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Welcome back--I'm just starting and your story has been inspirational to me...I support ya!
  • sjkcarter
    sjkcarter Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    welcome back. It is a very powerful step to make a confession like that. Thank you for your willingness to share with us.
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Welcome back - no guilt, no regrets - you can't move forward if you're always looking backward. We're glad you're choosing the healthy route!
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! you're a star! don't know you but truly proud of you, you saw the potential danger and fixed it! that's commendable! :flowerforyou:
  • mariasheehan
    mariasheehan Posts: 335
    Options
    welcome home xxxx
  • LG30
    LG30 Posts: 72
    Options
    KUDOS to you for one confessing to all that you did, and two for coming back to MFP and giving it another shot. Good luck to you, and keep up the good work! :D