Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why so many food myths?

paulgads82
paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
I understand this has probably been discussed before but I'm finding it a little disconcerting. Every time I log on to the forum I see at least one person regurgitating something I've previously come across from a YouTube "star" or "Expert". Why can't people evaluate sources? So much bad information no wonder people don't know how to lose weight :/

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Because everyone is opinionated when it comes to nutrition and diet
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    paulgads82 wrote: »
    Make it stop.

Move to an off-grid location ?
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,469 Member
    Jump the fences!
  • paulgads82
    As usual Jessie J has the answer. Thanks Jessie!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Weight loss is simple, but hard work. People want weight loss to be easy, but also like to think of it as complicated, so that they have an excuse for not undertaking the effort.

This
  • paulgads82
    Eating 30 bananas a day is hard. People still do it.
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member

"Cause the big guy at the gym told me bro"

"Her bum looks good, so she must know what she's talking about"
  • paulgads82
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Because "what THEY don't want you to know" is an attractive concept to many people, and the "experts" are smart enough to capitalize on this fact.

Good point. People also ARE bad at evaluating sources or simply choose sources that reinforce what they want to believe. It's not just weight stuff, either.

Mistrust of science, poor knowledge of the scientific method, inability to evaluate sources. These things shouldn't be hard but if you've never been taught properly I can see why people slip up. It's when the emotional responses kick in and people refuse to acknowledge they are wrong it gets frustrating.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    The problem is that everyone's body responds differently to different stimulus. I work with a guy who is 6'00" and 180lbs, in great shape, but he can eat anything he wants and doesn't gain weight (now granted, he does put the work into the gym). I also work with a guy who puts work into the gym, but has to run a strict low-carb diet to stay leanish. You essentially have to find out how your body responds to different foods.
  • MalcolmX1983
    MalcolmX1983 Posts: 214 Member
    The problem is that everyone's body responds differently to different stimulus. I work with a guy who is 6'00" and 180lbs, in great shape, but he can eat anything he wants and doesn't gain weight (now granted, he does put the work into the gym). I also work with a guy who puts work into the gym, but has to run a strict low-carb diet to stay leanish. You essentially have to find out how your body responds to different foods.

Agreed.