Really struggling with MFP

Options

Replies

• JaneyB311
    JaneyB311 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

My calorie goal is about 2900 and some change a day. I'm usually 3-400 below that. I'm also below my fat intake and sugar intake everyday as well. I record nearly everything I eat.

Forget then 'nearly everything' and record everything. You may be surprised.
  • benevempress
    benevempress Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to see the projected weight, stop selecting the complete diary option.

I saw no benefit to the "Complete my diary" option. Some people feel like once they click it they are done eating and won't add anything else, but it doesn't stop you from adding something else and then clicking "complete" again. All it does it calculate your deficit from today * 35 (days in 5 weeks) and then divide by 3500 (calories in 1 pound). Since weight loss is not linear and my deficit is never the exact same number every day, I found this frustrating and useless, so I don't ever click the button. I think it posts it on your home page news feed, so if you like your online friends to congratulate you, maybe it is useful for that.

As far as not losing weight as quickly as you are expecting, I repeat what everyone else has said: weigh everything, and then make sure you are using reliable database entries. You can find garlic from 0 calories to 400 calories. Bananas from 50 calories to 21,000 calories (no lie, I couldn't believe that one). Even so-called "verified" entries are only verified from other MFP users, not an independent source. The USDA has a website that has nutritional information for packaged foods, and I consider that a reliable source to verify if you aren't sure. If you are doing that and still not losing, cut your calories another 250 and see if that works after a week or two. Lastly, if you are weighing weekly, you may hit high and low days that mask your progress, because our weight varies every day because of sodium, stress, sleep, how much waste is in our colon, water retention from exercise, etc.
  • adcc407
    adcc407 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    edoll61 wrote: »
    synacious wrote: »
    If you haven't lost weight in 4 weeks, either you're eating more than you think, you aren't as active as you thought, or it's a combo of the two.

My calorie goal is about 2900 and some change a day. I'm usually 3-400 below that. I'm also below my fat intake and sugar intake everyday as well. I record nearly everything I eat. With the exercise, I'm not sedentary by any means. I walk a ton at work everyday and do might workouts at home. I'm wondering if working midnights night impact it.

2900 kcal seems a lot for someone who is trying to lose weight. 23 yo, 220lb and my goal is 158. I work on my feet as well, and MFP suggested 1640 kcal a day tops. I made my own diet, and i found out that i can fulfill my needs with something like 1100-1300 kcal a day, plus at least 30 mins bicycling and a 30 min walk to work. I lost 9 pounds in less than 2 weeks, and ive never felt more energy before.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    'I record nearly everything I eat' - this will be the problem and your calorie allowance does seem very high regardless of your current weight...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't think that allowance is that off...however you shouldn't count your "exercise" in your activity level.

without doing that your goals should be close to 2700....but even that wouldn't cause no weight loss.

I suspect you are eating more than you think.
  • edoll61
    edoll61 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to adjust how you measure, you can just lower the number of calories. Maybe go for 2500 a day.

That's what my new goal is now, if not lower. Making some adjustments
  • edoll61
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Really appreciate the advice everyone. I think I know the changes I need to make and I'm feeling better about seeing results in the coming weeks. The biggest thing I'll have to get used to is the effects of eating less than usual. Going to take a few days to get used to it
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Really appreciate the advice everyone. I think I know the changes I need to make and I'm feeling better about seeing results in the coming weeks. The biggest thing I'll have to get used to is the effects of eating less than usual. Going to take a few days to get used to it

It will but usually by day 3 or 4 you get more accustomed to it.
  • pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

Good for you buddy. You're taking on board the good advice and being honest with yourself. The amount of times people just really don't want to hear it is unreal and being successful at this is mostly about the attitude.

Good for you.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    If you haven't lost weight in 4 weeks, either you're eating more than you think, you aren't as active as you thought, or it's a combo of the two.

This. OP, if you make your diary public we can take a peek at it and offer suggestions. Are you weighing all your food on a food scale, set to grams, or are you estimating/using ounces and cups etc/using wrong entries etc etc. That's the culprit more times than not.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    pcpop7 wrote: »
    Open up your diary and we can take a look and give help. Are you weighing everything in grams on a food scale ?

I'm keeping to the serving sizes on the labels, which includes using cups to measure as well as the scale. I use that often for my meats. Even if it's not down to the exact gram on some items, it's a miniscule difference. I'm talking say a carrot stick or two or an ounce of milk. Forgive my ignorance, how do you share your diary on here?

Ok. Cups can be off by a massive amount you'd be totally surprised. Even packet weights can be of. I once had a pack of nuts that had 25g on the label but when weighed was around 47g that is almost double the calories.

Almost everything has a substantial margin of error that can and does have a massive impact on your calorie intake.

If you are saying what you are currently doing is not working for you then it is time to look hard at what could be wrong and the easiest thing to do is start to weigh in grams everything you are eating.

Fair point. Never really thought there would be any significant margin of error from the label. Good advice

It's crazy how off things can really be-measuring in grams will seriously be an eye opener!
  • edoll61
    Options
    Open up your diary and we can take a look and give help. Are you weighing everything in grams on a food scale ?

I'm keeping to the serving sizes on the labels, which includes using cups to measure as well as the scale. I use that often for my meats. Even if it's not down to the exact gram on some items, it's a miniscule difference. I'm talking say a carrot stick or two or an ounce of milk. Forgive my ignorance, how do you share your diary on here?

Ok. Cups can be off by a massive amount you'd be totally surprised. Even packet weights can be of. I once had a pack of nuts that had 25g on the label but when weighed was around 47g that is almost double the calories.

Almost everything has a substantial margin of error that can and does have a massive impact on your calorie intake.

If you are saying what you are currently doing is not working for you then it is time to look hard at what could be wrong and the easiest thing to do is start to weigh in grams everything you are eating.

Fair point. Never really thought there would be any significant margin of error from the label. Good advice

It's crazy how off things can really be-measuring in grams will seriously be an eye opener!

I realized my scale is in ounces, but it's not hard to convert. I think it will make a difference
  • edoll61
    Options

This. OP, if you make your diary public we can take a peek at it and offer suggestions. Are you weighing all your food on a food scale, set to grams, or are you estimating/using ounces and cups etc/using wrong entries etc etc. That's the culprit more times than not.

I'm very careful to not use wrong entries. My scale is in ounces, which still is pretty easy to use and convert when necessary.
  • edoll61
    Options

Good for you buddy. You're taking on board the good advice and being honest with yourself. The amount of times people just really don't want to hear it is unreal and being successful at this is mostly about the attitude.

Good for you.

Well, it's obvious what I'm doing isn't working, so I'm comfortable consulting the opinions of those who might know better. Weighing what I do shows I'm no weight loss expert, so I'm happy to take advice from those who have had success. Appreciate it.
  • kelseymallen
    kelseymallen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    "I record nearly everything I eat."

This is probably causing more of an issue than you think. Say you have two or three small snacks or soft drinks per day that you don't record in MFP. You could easily be eating a several hundred more calories per day than you think you are by not logging those snacks.

Also, if you are just guessing at how much food you're eating instead of actually measuring it or weighing it on a scale, you are probably eating much more than you think. This applies to prepackaged foods as well. Never assume the label is correct as the labels will usually be incorrect by a small amount. Always weigh and measure everything and record every food and drink that passes your lips.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I just turned 50 and starting weight was 259lbs. My suggested calorie intake was 1990 (without exercise, which I do about 6 days a week).
    Regarding exercise:
    Can't afford a gym either. Took a while but I purchased a used treadmill for $50 that had a max weight capacity of 250 and had purchased some time ago one of those Chuck Norris machines that uses your bodyweight for resistance, except I purchased the generic one for $150.
    In short fitness equipment can be purchased used pretty damn cheap and there are deals to be had.
    As far as time, while I don't have a 2 year old, my treadmill time is my guilt free TV time and that is called multi-tasking! :smiley:
  • pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

I'm very careful to not use wrong entries. My scale is in ounces, which still is pretty easy to use and convert when necessary.

Just remember that if the lowest fraction of an oz you have is 1/4 then that is 7 grams. So 4 oz could be anywhere from 106 grams to 120 grams so almost 20%. If you have higher or lower fraction then it will vary.
  • edoll61
    Options
    I just turned 50 and starting weight was 259lbs. My suggested calorie intake was 1990 (without exercise, which I do about 6 days a week).
    Regarding exercise:
    Can't afford a gym either. Took a while but I purchased a used treadmill for $50 that had a max weight capacity of 250 and had purchased some time ago one of those Chuck Norris machines that uses your bodyweight for resistance, except I purchased the generic one for $150.
    In short fitness equipment can be purchased used pretty damn cheap and there are deals to be had.
    As far as time, while I don't have a 2 year old, my treadmill time is my guilt free TV time and that is called multi-tasking! :smiley:

Absolutely! I'll figure something out
  • edoll61
    Options
    "I record nearly everything I eat."

This is probably causing more of an issue than you think. Say you have two or three small snacks or soft drinks per day that you don't record in MFP. You could easily be eating a several hundred more calories per day than you think you are by not logging those snacks.

Also, if you are just guessing at how much food you're eating instead of actually measuring it or weighing it on a scale, you are probably eating much more than you think. This applies to prepackaged foods as well. Never assume the label is correct as the labels will usually be incorrect by a small amount. Always weigh and measure everything and record every food and drink that passes your lips.

That's the plan now. No exceptions
  • m2marsh
    m2marsh Posts: 25 Member
    Options

My calorie goal is about 2900 and some change a day. I'm usually 3-400 below that. I'm also below my fat intake and sugar intake everyday as well. I record nearly everything I eat. With the exercise, I'm not sedentary by any means. I walk a ton at work everyday and do might workouts at home. I'm wondering if working midnights night impact it.

How tall are you? What is your BMI?

That calorie goal seems high to me. I would think you'd need to be closer to 1800 to lose very effectively. Have you consulted a physician or dietitian for calorie recommendations?