Protein Bars

Options
I am trying to balance my protein and carb intake, and am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a good protein bar, low in carbs and high on flavour. I bought some at Costco, am not crazy about them, but have them in the fridge right now, hoping I like the texture better when they are cold.

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Two questions, first:

1) Why, exactly, are you looking for a protein bar?

2) What brand/flavor of protein bar do you currently have?
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I've tried a ton of them and have come to the conclusion that for me, I like Pure Protein bars the best. You can find them in most grocery stores and Walmart.
  • 1992fx3
    1992fx3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've used the Balance Bar and Power Bar brand because the unit price it lowest among all the nutrition bars. Both tasted good, the Power Bar is similar to a chewy granola bar, the Balance Bar is dense and chewy. Just bought a box of store brand protein & fiber granola bars from the granola bar/fruit roll-up aisle; haven't tried them yet. All three have 10-15 grams of protein.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I like Clif Builder's, but they're definitely not low in calories or carbs.
  • Move4Abs
    Move4Abs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Quest bars....they have 24 grams of protein, 5 grams of carbs, 5 ingredients, most of which I can read :) Oh, and they taste great. The best way to get protein is with real food, the next best is to get something that is as close to real food as possible. I've found Quest bars do that for me.
  • shaybee377
    shaybee377 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Fit Crunch bars (the ones by Robert Irvine) taste like an actual candy bar. No joke. I buy them at Walmart. They aren't super low in carbs but mannnn are they good
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I eat protein bars for breakfast at work. I eat Balance (all flavors are great) and Clif energy bars. The ones I eat are all between 200-250 calories.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If by carbs you mean net carbs, Quest bars are really good. I only say that because MFP will include them as twenty-some-odd carbs, but they're actually 4-5 net carbs. My fave is the white chocolate raspberry, but they have a ton of flavors worth trying
  • SaraSteeves1993
    SaraSteeves1993 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Combat crunch are amazing for a protein bar, prefer these over quest.
  • saulric
    saulric Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Double check the ingredients but I believe all of the bars are No Added Sugar, No GMO, No Dairy, No Soy, & No Gluten as they are Paleo compliant.

All the ingredients are "real" food and everything is listed clearly. They store well, travel well, and hit the spot depending on what you are craving.

Savory:
    http://store.epicbar.com/collections/bars

Sweet:
    http://www.rxbar.com/

Message me with any questions! Good luck.
  • attackcat64
    attackcat64 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Quest bars - my favorite are the chocolate brownie and the white chocolate raspberry. They taste pretty good, but they are way better if you put them in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds. When I do that, they taste like a awesome little treat.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Think Thin are my favorites.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    A friend recommended Think Thin to me when he saw the face I was making while eating a Quest bar. They, to me, have a much better texture than most protein bars I've tried and I've like all of the flavors I've tried. I'm not a breakfast person but if I start feeling hungry before lunch I'll grab a protein bar.
  • I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I am trying to balance my protein and carb intake, and am wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a good protein bar, low in carbs and high on flavour. I bought some at Costco, am not crazy about them, but have them in the fridge right now, hoping I like the texture better when they are cold.

I wont say low in calorie(360) but the taste is amazing
    Oh yeah bars.. first time I had to double check to see if it was a protein bar I was eating lol

I usually get the 85 gram one which act as a meal replacement if I'm not really hungry by 8 or 9 pm and don't want to have a proper meal before bed. I also swap it in for one of my 4 meals on two of my rest days

I recommend Peanut Butter Crunch, Peanut Butter & Strawberry and Chocolate & Caramel
    I have not tried the other flavours but I'm confident that they will taste good.

apparently the reviws for their new ONE bar are really good but they don't sell in the UK yet
  • I_amnr
    I_amnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Quest bars also taste really good but I find them too small
  • mikeski52
    mikeski52 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I like the Nature Valley Protein chewy bars. CostCo has them in the Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate flavor, though I *think* other flavors exist.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    pcpop7 wrote: »
    I use chicken

And fish. It's great for protein
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I've tried a ton of them and have come to the conclusion that for me, I like Pure Protein bars the best. You can find them in most grocery stores and Walmart.
    These. I had the peanut butter pretzel twist...whoa! It didn't have those weird- tasting hard rice crispie like things in them. It tasted just like a candy bar with 15g protien.

I'd love to try the combat crunch bars. I've heard so much good about them as well a the protein powder.