Does anyone else take an absurd amount of vitamins?

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Post Bariatric patients come with known malabsorption issues so I'll be on vitamins for life. I have to watch my Folic Acid, vitamin D, B12, iron, and calcium.

I take an eight hour patch so I don't have to use up valuable stomach real estate for the vitamins as well as extra iron, vitamin D, and B12. (Patch MD.com)

I take the B12 as a sub-lingual pill. I take iron at the end of the day with a chewable vitamin C to help with the absorption of both.

I never take calcium with iron as they can cancel each other out.

By the way only the iron deficient should take iron supplements. Too much iron can be a problem too. I got myself a LuckyIronFish.com which is a fun way to get extra iron in.
  • chrisbyradio
    chrisbyradio Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Vitamin deficiencies are usually rare except D and Iron (mostly in women). I would speak to a dietician, nutritionist and/or get a full blood check up from a doctor to see if you're actually deficient in any of your vitamin intake from diet alone. Supplementation is overused way too frequently. You can actually overdo certain vitamins. Most common side effect is kidney stones but fat soluble vitamins have been known to cause toxicity in situations of exceeding the UL (tolerable upper limit). Any really benefit people experience from supplementation is usually placebo in nature. Some supplementation like Creatine and CoQ10 actually have scientific backing and observable results. I would just suggest before spending a bunch of money on vitamins and minerals you should visit a doctor first and rule out deficiencies and other causes for any ailments. Also there has never been a peer reviewed study that has shown taking multivitamins or supplementation has decreased mortality or disease risk versus someone who doesn't supplement at all.
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I live in Northern New England. Vitamin D deficiency is very common here because of the latitude & light. All 4 of us in my family - hubby, 2 teens & myself have been taking Vitamin D for years. Initially, we had bloodwork which showed it to be low, tried a dose suggested by our docs, had repeat testing, and then adjusted the dose. We have testing annually at our annual exam.

Everyone in our family also takes fish oil. Our teens have been on it since they were about 9 & 5. Our HDL levels are not good without it - again, bloodwork. It's super helpful for brain & eye health.

I had thyroid cancer & now take calcium, selenium & magnesium. The calcium is because they had to take a parathyroid (controls calcium) during my thyroid surgery. I cannot maintain healthy levels of calcium on my own, despite having decent calcium intake from food. Again, my level was set with bloodwork. I'm lucky in that I only need a little, so I only have to dose that once a day.

The selenium & magnesium I initiated myself because they are commonly low in people who have had thyroid cancer & are struggling as much as I was for years. My magnesium has been confirmed by bloodwork, and would not be normal without the supplement. When I stopped taking selenium, my thyroid bloodwork went markedly south & when I resumed, it improved. This is indicative of needing it, too.

I'm taking iron right now because of funky perimenopausal bleeding. My ferritin & iron levels are being monitored by bloodwork.

I also take glucosamine/chondroitin. Without it, my knee arthritis acts up.

I consider the above to be a ton of vitamins & supplements. But except for the glucosamine, the need for them has all been confirmed by bloodwork & are monitored by bloodwork. I'm sure you get my point. According to my truly awesome PCP, for most people, vitamins & supplements aren't necessary & generally just make expensive urine when your body expells most of it.

But chronic fatigue is real & truly stinky. I'm sorry you have to cope with that. As someone who felt more than half dead for 3 years because I had narrow minded endocrinologists, I suggest you have your new doctor re-run your thyroid numbers. Make sure they look at Free T4 and Free T3, not just TSH. And educate yourself- there is a wide range of "normal," and one person might feel horrible where one person feels fine.
  • Camish911
    Camish911 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin (One-A-Day Women's Active Metabolism), Vitamin D, Magnesium, and a krill oil supplement. I came to the conclusion that I needed to take Magnesium after reading that stress can exasperate a magnesium deficiency, and a magnesium deficiency can exasperate Eczema. No more Eczema problems now that I take magnesium! I get my supplements from Walmart.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I take D in the winter (recently stopped it as I'm now going to be out in the daylight more for some months). I take omega 3 (trying the algae kind) off and on, but am not that concerned about it because I eat lots of fatty fish. Tried taking a multi, but it upset my stomach, so I don't. Trying ZMA because I have sleep issues, but I keep forgetting to take it. I avoid taking iron since I've never been diagnosed with a deficiency, overdose is possible and dangerous (it can destroy your liver before you know anything is going on), and my mother has a condition that leads to iron build-up that I am therefore more likely to also have.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you really mean just vitamins, or supplements. To the later -

Multi-Vitamin
    Fish Oil
    Creatine
    ZMA - at night before bed, results were immediate - deeper sleep with less tossing and turning

I do take a pre-workout and also supplement protein intake with Whey Protein.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin with omegas, Adcal D3 (combo D & calcium) due to D/calcium deficiency, glucosamine & chondroitin. Deficiency diagnosed & monitored by blood tests.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Under the direction of my doctor, I take VitaminD3, Fish Oil, Biotin, B12, and an iron supplement once or twice a week.
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I am recommended to take Fish Oil, Niacin, Vit. D and a baby aspirin. I tend to get stomach upset with them.
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have Multiple Sclerosis. My Dr. wants me to take 50,000 IU's of Vitamin D. I Haven't been able to find any that go that high. I also take Tumeric, Biotin, and fish oil.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hope228 wrote: »
    I have Multiple Sclerosis. My Dr. wants me to take 50,000 IU's of Vitamin D. I Haven't been able to find any that go that high. I also take Tumeric, Biotin, and fish oil.

You can buy a lower dose of D and then just take 2-3 of them, to equal the amount you need. That's what my doctor told me to do when I had a low level. Otherwise your doctor can give you an inexpensive prescription for the higher dose.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Just had a discussion about vitamins with my doc. He wants me to take vitamin D and that's it. I've had a history of low iron dating back to childhood so when I'm feeling rundown I take a multivitamin with iron for a few days.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

I believe 5000 IU is the highest that make.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I take D in the winter (recently stopped it as I'm now going to be out in the daylight more for some months). I take omega 3 (trying the algae kind) off and on, but am not that concerned about it because I eat lots of fatty fish. Tried taking a multi, but it upset my stomach, so I don't. Trying ZMA because I have sleep issues, but I keep forgetting to take it. I avoid taking iron since I've never been diagnosed with a deficiency, overdose is possible and dangerous (it can destroy your liver before you know anything is going on), and my mother has a condition that leads to iron build-up that I am therefore more likely to also have.

I googled ZMA because I am having sleep problems. Wiki lists some interesting studies/results, but ends with the statement "However, one of the scientists who conducted the study holds the registered trademark for the original formula of ZMA, and his company funded the research". Why can't it ever be straightforward? :smile: Let us know how it works for you (sleepwise specifically).
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Vitamins work great if you know which ones you need. I take the full spectrum of vitamins but try to limit copper and take higher doses of zinc. I don't need b12 because I eat sardines every day. I don't need iodine because I eat seaweed every few days. I don't need vitamin a because I eat eggs, butter, kale, spinach, chard, and lettuce. I'm currently reading about what vitamins, amino acids and minerals are needed for certain hormones and neurotransmitters.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I take a super-high-powered probiotic, magnesium citrate, vitamin c, and fish oil everyday. I take a multivitamin, immune-booster, vitamin D more sporadically. I also use digestive enzymes as needed. I tend to focus more on my poor digestive health rather than on absolute amounts of vitamin supplements, since I figure that taking a ton of vitamins won't do me any good if I'm not absorbing them properly. Plus, 95% of my diet is fruit/veggie/nut-based, so I figure that I get a lot of my daily needs through that.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I believe 5000 IU is the highest that make.

NOW makes one that's 10,000 IU. Other than that, I don't know of any that are any higher.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Get your vitamins and minerals from real food and use Cronometer to determine if your diet is nutritious enough. The only thing I supplement is B12 because I don't eat a lot of meat. I even stopped taking D and now make sure to get plenty of sun exposure instead. Will get blood test soon to verify if that's working.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Get your vitamins and minerals from real food and use Cronometer to determine if your diet is nutritious enough. The only thing I supplement is B12 because I don't eat a lot of meat. I even stopped taking D and now make sure to get plenty of sun exposure instead. Will get blood test soon to verify if that's working.

For most people who do not live at the equator, sun exposure is not enough to increase vit D levels.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

For most people who do not live at the equator, sun exposure is not enough to increase vit D levels.

That may be true if you live in the north or south pole. And possibly true during winter months for those in high latitudes, but for the remaining 8 months, even they can get sufficient levels through adequate exposure. For everyone else, which is most people, you simply need to expose your skin for long enough depending on skin tone.

http://www.direct-ms.org/sites/default/files/Vit D synthesis gradient.pdf
    "The results can be confirmed by computer modeling
    and generalized to latitudes from 0N to 70N. During the
    8 warmer months of the year (March–October), relative
    vitamin D UV levels are practically independent of latitude.

We conclude that there is practically no latitude gradient
    of relative vitamin D UV for the entire USA during
    summer, and indeed during most of the year."

Another issue is that some people try to achieve levels that are way above what's considered sufficient. For them, you're right, no amount of sun will get them there and so they resort to supplementation. That doesn't mean it's necessary for optimal health.