Do you eat meat every day?

Options

Replies

• serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    At least 2x a day, usually chicken or fish with a rare steak thrown in once in a blue moon :p
  • msemotan
    msemotan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I also found that when I starting eating less process foods and more protein (including meat, fish, and eggs), I was much more successful with losing weight and gaining muscle tone. I have a ways to go but I think eating meat and losing weight go well together.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    No, because the chef in our house (oldest daughter is jobless) is vegetarian so the default is vegetarian. I have meat a few times a week, often bring salad + meat (tuna or turkey, generally) for a lunch at work because that seems healthy, and one restaurant meal a week, I usually get meat when we go out. Cuisine-wise, I am fine with vegetarian. Nutrition-wise, I seem to do better with some meat, and less grains, as I get older.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Yes. Lunch and dinner.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Pretty much.

I do try to switch it up often. I frequently eat salmon, basa, tilapia, canned tuna, chicken breast and thighs, ground turkey, turkey bacon, pork tenderloin, and lean deli meats.

Some nights I'm perfectly happy with a chickpea stir fry, though.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I eat meat everyday. Protien helps you get lean without losing muscle. Just pick leaner meats.

Fat doesn't make you fat.

I think the translation here is:
    - if you eat a lot of fatty meats and don't carefully count calories, you run the risk of eating too many calories, or not getting full because you ate a ton of fat calories instead of protein calories which make you feel fuller
    AND
    - if you're doing a body recomp, high protein/lower carb & fat is a fantastic way to "lean out" without losing mass. This is why most fitness competitors eat like apex predators in the prep weeks leading up to competition.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    No. Some days I have no meat, some days I eat it once, other days twice, and occasionally even three times. I have noticed absolutely no effect on weight loss related to how much meat I eat, independent of my calorie deficit.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Probably twice a day...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't eat meat every day. Maybe once every month or two, but it does slow down my weight loss progress because the kind of meat I eat is typically prepared in ways that make it high in calories and are made of fatty cuts which pushes my calories for that day to maintenance.

Edit: if you mean meat including poultry and fish, I eat these a couple of times a week and it does not affect my weight loss.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have meat most nights for dinner, but rarely eat it during the day. I probably do 2 days a week meat free.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I would always assume meat includes poultry and fish.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I restrict carbs because they slow down my weight loss progress. I eat meat for lunch and dinner.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I used to, several times a day...pretty much the only meal I'd have without meat was breakfast. At the moment it's getting less frequent and not every day, but that's got nothing to do with weight loss.

I've had great success with weight loss before while eating meat 2, 3+ times a day. It honestly is calories in vs calories out. Is it easier to remain in a deficit without animal products? I think so, but that's because a lot of plant based foods just so happen to be lower in calories. If your caloric intake is the same, your weight change should be the same.
  • bhoelscher
    bhoelscher Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Not on Fridays, but because of religious preference and not dietary restriction. Most of our meals have meat in them and our weight loss is steady.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I love meat and as it seems to fill me up for longer I find it easier to lose weight eating a lot of meat than a more veggie based diet. I eat a salad and I want something else to eat half an hour later and am more likely to turn to cake or chocolate. So personally yes meat for most meals and yes you can lose weight just the same as long as it fits your calorie allowance.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I have meat most every day, though not big amounts of it (I have a tendency to gouty symptoms if I overdo the meat). I've seen absolutely no correlation between the amount of meat I eat and the rate of weight loss.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Protein morning, noon, and night. Often it is a hunk of poultry, beef, pork, or seafood. Sometimes it's a slab of highly processed soybean. Sometimes it's a vegetable, an egg, or a nut. 44 pounds lost since January 25, 68 pounds to go. My protein intake does not slow my weight loss process. I think it is a great help in my weight loss process because it supplies my body with an abundance of amino acids to satisfy my myriad metabolic needs. My body is a greedy *kitten* and will take any protein it can find. If it's not in the food, it will take protein from the heart. I don't want that to happen.
  • holmesj747
    holmesj747 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    2x a day, everyday. But I do mix it up, bison, chicken, turkey, fish, steak.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I eat meat everyday. Protien helps you get lean without losing muscle. Just pick leaner meats.

Fat doesn't make you fat.

No, it doesn't.

However 1g fat = 9 calories. 1g carbs or 1g protein = 4 calories.

So while the macronutrient itself doesn't have a direct relation to fat gain, it's easier to go over your calorie requirements with a diet high in fat. Leaner meats will have the benefit (if you're aiming for weight loss) of not just less fat / less calories but they generally have a higher protein %. (helps with maintaining muscle while losing)
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    weehah wrote: »
    Hi there!

I was never a vegetarian, but I hadn't been eating much meat for a while. Now that I'm counting calories, though, I find it an easy, measurable way to have protein. Does anyone here eat meat twice a day and still have weight loss success? I know, I know, it's calories in, calories out . . . but I'm still looking for feedback about whether it seems to slow down the weight loss process.

Thank you!

I usually only eat meat once per day, with my evening meal. I do eat protein through nuts and eggs earlier in the day though