Another Gym Etiquette Question - wiping down equipment

Options
2»

Replies

• Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm very obsessive about cleaning. I use the towelettes they offer to wipe down cardio equipment, mats, and any machines that require me to sit or lean on them. I sweat very easily and (to my humilation) rather heavily, so it would be nasty as hell not to wipe things down. :neutral:
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Nope. But I'm in a small specialized gym. The interns do a pretty good job of cleaning up, in fact currently any cleaning supplies are hidden
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Sweat has antibacterial properties (dermcidin), so you'd be doing everyone a favor by leaving it place >:)
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I wipe before and after use of equipment.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I always wipe down the cardio machines I use, and I also wipe the handles of the dumbbells I use because my hands can get kinda sweaty. For benches, I always put my towel down before using it.
  • Katerbels
    Katerbels Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I wipe down every part of every machine / weight I touch. I don't bother to do it before, even though I have seen so many people sweat all over something and then just walk away, but I always do after. Always.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    yeah, you really don't have to do that.

cosigned.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I wipe it all down after I am done. It's a habit from working in healthcare. The number of microbes becoming antibiotic resistant is frightening and I grew out what was under my nails after a minute of sterile technique hand washing in microbiology class. We also swabbed and cultured money. I've never forgotten what's under my nails or on my money. My gym keeps the wipes on dispensers located within 10 feet of most equipment.

You're concerned about the number if antibiotic resistant microbes, so you're recommending everyone use antibiotic wipes/spray on all the equipment?

*eye twitch*