Chicken breast....vomit??

Options

Replies

• quatermore
    quatermore Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Boiling a chicken breast in plain water would render an unappetizing hunk of meat. A quick easy way to add flavor is to poach the breast in stock with onions, carrots, celery, salt and pepper and 1 bay leaf. As long as you don’t overcook it, the chicken comes out tender and flavorful. Fork shred the meat and add as an addition to any meal. This is just one alternative to the many ways you can prepare chicken breasts. Good luck!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    So you took the chicken breast, unseasoned, boiled it until all the flavor had gone into the water, threw out the water and ate the chicken?

You are doing this wrong.

Look up some recipes for chicken breast, or at least cooking techniques. I usually sear it in a hot pan then spread honey/mustard/olive oil/rosemary/salt/pepper on it and bake it in the oven for about 20 min, till it's cooked through. Often with little potatoes on the pan soaking up some of the flavor. Everyone seems to love it that way.

And believe me You Can Learn To Cook Well. My ex was so clueless that he literally burned the water when he tried to boil some water, he was starting below zero in cooking skill. From there he became a good enough cook that he did it for a living. Anyone can learn to cook well. Ignorance is where everyone starts.

+1

FWIW you can poach chicken breast and have it be very tasty. But you have to season the poaching liquid and time it right so that the chicken is perfectly cooked.

I suggest you go to cooking sites that not only give you recipes, they explain why the recipe works. That way, you learn some things you can take and apply to new recipes - and learn to come up with your own. America's Test Kitchen is a good site for that, and you can see this year's recipes for free (you pay to see them all). Also, Alton Brown usually explains his recipes well.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    BBC1986 wrote: »
    Get something like a George Forman grill..you can get one for like $12 at Walmart..you can grill anything on it

This ^^^ I love my George Forman so much I consider us "in a relationship".
    ..oddly enough the wife does not get jealous.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    quatermore wrote: »
    Boiling a chicken breast in plain water would render an unappetizing hunk of meat. A quick easy way to add flavor is to poach the breast in stock with onions, carrots, celery, salt and pepper and 1 bay leaf. As long as you don’t overcook it, the chicken comes out tender and flavorful. Fork shred the meat and add as an addition to any meal. This is just one alternative to the many ways you can prepare chicken breasts. Good luck!

Yes, or put it in the slow cooker like that, with vegetables, stock, spices. Easy peasy!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    hhnkhl wrote: »
    So I have been a heavy fast food and restaraunt eater...I decided to start eating healthy and losing weight...

I had cauliflower...brocolli...tomatoes....then lastly I ate just plain boiled chicken breast. I ate about 100g of the chicken breast. However... every time I tried eating it I wanted to vomit. Is this because I have been used to additives and etc on my meats???

It's because boiled chicken breast sucks. Sprinkle it with lemon pepper and broil it or pan fry it in 1 tsp of oil or grill it.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Yeah. The only time I've boiled chicken is when one of my pets had to go on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice.

I tried a bite once - I think I would have thrown up if I had continued eating it.

Even then, I steam the chicken.

I agree that boiling was the problem. Bake, broil or fry the chicken and log any oils/fats....and flavor it!!
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Yes, cut it up and make a chicken quesidilla or enchiladas, or grill it with seasoning, or bread it in egg and flour and use a tbsp of oil to fry it in the oven. It doesnt take alot of oil. Boiled white meat chicken tastes bad unless in a soup or stew.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else that the problem is most likely boiling it and eating it plain. I like to roast it in the oven with salt, pepper, olive oil, rosemary, and maybe lemon zest.

Also be sure you are cooking it completely with no pink in the middle. The texture of undercooked chicken is strange and really unappetizing (and not a good idea to eat). If you have a meat thermometer, use it to be sure the entire chicken breast is at the minimum safe cooked temperature (165 degrees F).
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Boiled meat should only be used for soups or fillers in things like enchiladas. I sometimes deskin and debone my own chicken breasts. I boil the bones for the waste meat on them and to make broth. The smell is sometimes nauseating. The same is true for slow or pressure cooked pork loin with no seasoning added.
  • paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Chicken is a good meat precisely because it can take flavour so well. That's why its so versatile and popular. You can add so many different varieties of herbs, spices, seasonings ,sauces etc to it. So do it!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Dude...

franks-red-hot-sauce.jpg

Uh no!

It's Sriracha or go home!!

vfnv1n3w8s4u.jpg
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Dude...

franks-red-hot-sauce.jpg

Uh no!

It's Sriracha or go home!!

vfnv1n3w8s4u.jpg

I like the convenient travel bottle that clips onto your belt or purse...
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your reply.
    So I just tried it without boiling it in water....tastes so much better. I should look into a variety. I saw people doing it by water boiling....they were getting built and ripped. They literally took everything out. So I thought something was wrong with me.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I agree--spice that chicken up! Herbs and spices are great to flavor food and many of the herbs have health benefits as well. Try baking the chicken instead--put it in a glass dish, season it well with whatever combination of spices and herbs you want, and cover it with aluminum foil (preferable the heavy duty kind). Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes. Don't overcook it, but make sure it's done in the middle (If you don't want to have to cut it open, get a meat thermometer and cook to 160 degrees internal temp). It will bake in its own juices and be nice and tender and flavorful. The only time I've EVER used plain boiled chicken was when I was adding it to a casserole with lots of other flavor in it. I can see why you wanted to throw it up. Chicken needs flavorful seasonings. And the same really goes for other meats, too--pork, fish, steak--all taste better when seasoned. I even use seasonings and herbs in my salads and on my veggies. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    hhnkhl wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your reply.
    So I just tried it without boiling it in water....tastes so much better. I should look into a variety. I saw people doing it by water boiling....they were getting built and ripped. They literally took everything out. So I thought something was wrong with me.

MGYgGVb.png
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I like to marinate it in a couple of days before I throw it on top of George.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Boiling I only do if I'm making chicken salad sandwiches. but then I shred it and add onions and mayo and other deliciousness.

My FAVE way to make chicken is tossing it in hot chili flakes and paprika and cumin, and brushing it with a mix of white wine vinegar and honey, and broiling right at the end :). Sweet and spicy.

I also like chopping skinless breast into cubes, coating in spices (paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper, etc) and pan frying in a bit of cooking spray. I make a big batch to use in tortilla wraps with tzatziki, shredded in low fat caesar salad, in stir fry...

Chicken is so versatile and delicious! Definitely don't be afraid to add spice.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    robininfl wrote: »
    So you took the chicken breast, unseasoned, boiled it until all the flavor had gone into the water, threw out the water and ate the chicken?

You are doing this wrong.

Look up some recipes for chicken breast, or at least cooking techniques. I usually sear it in a hot pan then spread honey/mustard/olive oil/rosemary/salt/pepper on it and bake it in the oven for about 20 min, till it's cooked through. Often with little potatoes on the pan soaking up some of the flavor. Everyone seems to love it that way.

And believe me You Can Learn To Cook Well. My ex was so clueless that he literally burned the water when he tried to boil some water, he was starting below zero in cooking skill. From there he became a good enough cook that he did it for a living. Anyone can learn to cook well. Ignorance is where everyone starts.

+1

FWIW you can poach chicken breast and have it be very tasty. But you have to season the poaching liquid and time it right so that the chicken is perfectly cooked.

I suggest you go to cooking sites that not only give you recipes, they explain why the recipe works. That way, you learn some things you can take and apply to new recipes - and learn to come up with your own. America's Test Kitchen is a good site for that, and you can see this year's recipes for free (you pay to see them all). Also, Alton Brown usually explains his recipes well.

I <3 America's Test Kitchen. Here's a free recipe for poached chicken. A steamer basket, thermometer, and large pot is needed.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/7763-perfect-poached-chicken-breasts
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I don't get all the hate for boiled chicken breast. When I used to meal prep a lot I would make boiled (or baked) chicken with broccoli and rice. Then add in 2 tbsp of bbq sauce and mix it all together. It wasn't the most amazing thing I've ever eaten but it tasted fine, was low calorie/high protein and fueled my body. The chicken could have been made to taste better with various spices/sauces but it wasn't bad the way it was.