How have life changed for you since weightloss?

Options
Iam 5"2 started at 235 and now Im at 200lbs. My goal is to get to 125 so I have 80 more lbs to go. Im to the point where it is now starting to become noticeable and I'm getting comments. I have lost 3 inches all everything and one clothes size. Im just curious what are the good and bad things I can expect for once I hit my goal weight.

Like will I be treated differently from my friends and strangers? Is shopping easier? etc. What were your experiences after losing your weight?

Replies

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Hasn't changed that much, other than I have a new hobby (working out) and I don't eat as many Oreos.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    There are good and not so good things about losing weight.

For me the not so good is the followings:

1. Not being able to "pig out"...it's not a choice I can't it hurts.
    2. harder to find my size in clothing...apparently size 4 and 6 are either in short supply or lots are that size
    3. spent a lot of money replacing clothing
    4. my skin is a bit saggy...but that could be my age or from being pregnant.

The good stuff.

1. Way more energy
    2. I am not sick and tired anymore
    3. I don't hurt after doing things like gardening...I hurt after lifting tho but that isn't a bad thing.

I am sure there is more good but to be honest my life and attitude hasn't changed much. I have and always have had a lot of self confidence. I met my husband prior to the weight loss, have worked at the same company for 17 years and bought my house before this...I can't say my sex life is better or more frequent...

some people comment but not many...I don't think most know what to say...without possibly being insulting (I wouldn't take it like that)

I personally feel that life has to be good for this to work...this weight loss thing...otherwise you lose expecting great things and losing weight imo doesn't make for a great life...a great life makes it easier to lose it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    People still treat me the same IMO. The biggest thing maybe is that I stopped playing video games and I'd rather go for a walk or exercise now, but that might be partly because I *gasp* grew up. But I spend the same amount of time browsing the boards or looking up recipes, so there's that...

Clothes shopping is definitely easier and more enjoyable though, and I possibly spend too much money on clothes now. Eating out, which I LOVED, pretty much sucks now, because I have to second guess everything I'm putting in my mouth. So I cook more. A LOT more. But it also means that special occasions always have that damper on them because I always get a bit guilty if I decide to enjoy myself, so it's not just positive changes, in my experience.

Otherwise, I'm sure that more has changed, but it's very gradual, so in my case, not very noticeable. It's not like you just wake up one day 80 pounds lighter, you know?
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Some of the good: I feel amazing and look good too. I can do so much more than I ever thought, which is a good motivator to keep it up. Also, I'm not stuck shopping only at "big girl" stores, so shopping is much easier. Due to my routine, I have much better awareness and balance, I'm not as much of a klutz.

The bad: Deflated boobs, still have plenty, just not as much as I've always had...total bummer. I love to eat, so restricting calories is not fun for me, but it's worth it.
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I know people say that losing weight doesn't make you happier but it sure has for me
  • katkins73
    katkins73 Posts: 416 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I dont know why but I cannot post my whole message
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I want to add about the loose saggy stomach skin... it's a huge bummer. I honestly did not expect this at all when I decided to lose the weight - I actually really wanted to see what the 'thin me' would look like, and that was pretty much the end of a dream. It sounds stupid I know.. but when you're obese for 10 years and daydream about being thin, and finally get there, but you're still extremely self-conscious because of that pouch of skin, you pretty much have to mourn that 'ideal' that you had.

Not sure if it makes sense. But yeah, I can put on the cutest outfit (I'm 38, I guess 'cute' is relative), but I'll still have that pouch I need to tuck in (I have one over my belly button too - stretch marks and loose skin). Sure, it beats having rolls all over, but I can't even tell myself that maybe one day it will be better anymore... now I know that it won't.

Had to get this out of my chest - obviously though it's still so much better than being obese! But it's not as awesome as I thought it would be.

I lost 80 pounds and was obese for 10 years though, had a bunch of stretch marks as well (which seems to attract loose skin and subcutaneous fat more), and I was 34 when I lost the weight, so there's that.

ETA: boobs look great at least.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I want to add about the loose saggy stomach skin... it's a huge bummer. I honestly did not expect this at all when I decided to lose the weight - I actually really wanted to see what the 'thin me' would look like, and that was pretty much the end of a dream. It sounds stupid I know.. but when you're obese for 10 years and daydream about being thin, and finally get there, but you're still extremely self-conscious because of that pouch of skin, you pretty much have to mourn that 'ideal' that you had.

Not sure if it makes sense. But yeah, I can put on the cutest outfit (I'm 38, I guess 'cute' is relative), but I'll still have that pouch I need to tuck in (I have one over my belly button too - stretch marks and loose skin). Sure, it beats having rolls all over, but I can't even tell myself that maybe one day it will be better anymore... now I know that it won't.

Had to get this out of my chest - obviously though it's still so much better than being obese! But it's not as awesome as I thought it would be.

I lost 80 pounds and was obese for 10 years though, had a bunch of stretch marks as well (which seems to attract loose skin and subcutaneous fat more), and I was 34 when I lost the weight, so there's that.

ETA: boobs look great at least.

I can very much commiserate with you. I don't want to use the word "devastating" because there are certainly worse things in life (major illness, bankruptcy, etc.) but the skin thing has been extremely upsetting, disappointing, etc. I could handle droopy skin if it was of the "my skin sags when I do a plank" variety. But I apparently am one of the "lucky" ones with bad skin genetics. It's a slap in the face every time I look in the mirror, shower, etc. And I'll admit I have a low tolerance for tiny belly pooch posts.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    How people treat you depends. Some family/friends can be really supportive. Others not so much. Some people may react out of jealousy (you're losing weight and they're not) or some may react with negativity as if you're telling them they are overweight. I'm not saying you ARE telling others they are overweight, but they may take it that way. Just stay focused on why you're doing this, and if anyone has negative comments just keep your response simple and along the lines that you're doing what is best for you.

It becomes easier to DO things, to have energy. To not spend all the time sitting, watching but to be actively involved in life. :)
    jacki865 wrote: »
    Iam 5"2 started at 235 and now Im at 200lbs. My goal is to get to 125 so I have 80 more lbs to go. Im to the point where it is now starting to become noticeable and I'm getting comments. I have lost 3 inches all everything and one clothes size. Im just curious what are the good and bad things I can expect for once I hit my goal weight.

Like will I be treated differently from my friends and strangers? Is shopping easier? etc. What were your experiences after losing your weight?

• RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Things are definitely different. I lost a lot of weight a year and a half ago. However, I was thin prior to that and ballooned up almost 70 lb in a few years.

I felt awful when I gained the weight. People did treat me a lot different than when I was thin previously. But since I've lost the weight and consistently lifted weights, my body has changed significantly from when I was this weight before. I'm actually two sizes smaller than before. I attribute that to having a bit more muscle from lifting.

Anyway, it did make me a bit angry that people treated me different when I was thin prior to the weight gain, when I was larger and even differently now. But those people are not in my life anymore. I refuse to associate with people like that.

Someone posted earlier that it's a tad hard to find your size in some stores. I definitely found this to be true. I'm a size 0 (or sometimes 00) and somewhat muscular thighs. It's hard enough finding cute pants in that size, but even harder to find pants that don't cut off the circulation to my thighs.

Beyond all that, I'm genuinely happier now than I ever have been!
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I look different, I'm treated different. I can hold my body weight. I can run for long periods of time, and I get more female attention
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    How has my life changed? I can't think of many negatives, except that I have to spend money on a new wardrobe! I have a few new hobbies - cooking, nutrition and exercise (and exercise has become something of an obsession lately). Since joining a gym, I've made a LOT of new friends, all of whom hold me accountable when I miss a day. Exercise routines add another topic of conversation between myself and my office mates, and I've learned a ton from them! My co-workers have noticed changes in my body (a few of whom assumed I was sick rather than intentionally losing weight). I don't get winded while running drills with my players on the soccer field, or when climbing stairs or walking between buildings at work.
  • ashleyjongepier
    ashleyjongepier Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm still going but I'm down 150 lbs.

How has my life changed? I do things now I never would have done before, things I wouldn't have thought I could try like weight lifting, HIIT, wearing shorts, etc. I don't get out of breath walking up stairs or lifting my toddler around. I am rarely the largest person in the room anymore and when I walk by a group of teenagers or even kids I don't hear comments on how fat I am anymore (or I don't hear them if they do.) I like the way I look now. I don't feel like I have to make reasons as to why my body looks like it does. I always used to feel the need to tell people that I am fat but I eat healthy or "my doctor says my health is perfect." People don't try to sell me wraps and *kitten* in store lines anymore. I can love everyone more deeply now because I dont live in a pit of self loathing and depression.

I have some "friends" and family members that are annoyed by my weight loss. I was a size 28-32 at a time and am now a 12/14 which is the same size or smaller than some of these people. I can't say anything about my weight loss because they (direct quote here) feel like I am putting them down. Legit. I can say "today marks the 150th pound I've lost!" and they will say "why are you putting me down, I haven't lost ant weight." Meanwhile they are not doing a thing to lose weight at all. Mean while they had either put me down or allowed me to be put down my whole life. I know how that feels and I don't do it even though it would make the petty part of me super happy.

If I eat junk food, or pizza I get "what about your diet" even though I have said so many times I'm not dieting and I can eat anything I want anyway. I get lots of "your so lucky, its easy for you!" as if making myself workout and not over eating is easy for a formerly 360+ person. People will ask me how I am losing weight and get mad when I say counting calories and working out. I have had some beach body coaches steal my progress pictures and try to market me as a client of theirs.

I am still losing so buying clothing is amazing and *kitten* at the same time. Things won't fit after a month/ are too baggy but I don't want to keep buying clothes. I can shop in a regular store which is awesome but IRONICALLY I am still finding some plus stores have cuter clothes.

I don't think losing weight alone makes your life better, I think its the pride you feel from having done it, seeing what your body and mind can do, it gives you confidence to improve on all areas of your life. <3
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say my life has changed much other than I'm just more healthy, active, and fit and I'm able to do the things I like doing without feeling like I'm going to keel over. People don't treat me any differently now save for I catch a few more head turns possibly and some girls are a little more flirtatious...but then again, I don't know...I've always had girls flirt with me.

Initially, there was a lot of the, "you look great" kind of stuff...but I've been maintaining now for over three years so now I just look normal to most people around me because they've seen me like this for a long time now.

Mostly I just enjoy feeling better and having more energy, etc.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    I was slender most of my life ... so I'm just back to normal again now. I'm back to wearing my slender clothes and being more active again.

Almost a year ago, I went through a couple months of commenting on the weight loss at work because the people I work with only knew me as heavier. I've only been working where I am for a couple years so they didn't know me as slender. But thankfully, most of that has died off and they've become used to the way I look.

My Doctor is thrilled ... I went through a couple years of rather bad health and poor test results, but all that has been resolved.

People in general seem to notice me more ... little things like complete strangers holding the door for me. When I was heavier it was like I was partially invisible.

Mostly I'm just back to being *me* again.