How have life changed for you since weightloss?

2»

Replies

• ummijaaz560
    ummijaaz560 Posts: 228 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I want to add about the loose saggy stomach skin... it's a huge bummer. I honestly did not expect this at all when I decided to lose the weight - I actually really wanted to see what the 'thin me' would look like, and that was pretty much the end of a dream. It sounds stupid I know.. but when you're obese for 10 years and daydream about being thin, and finally get there, but you're still extremely self-conscious because of that pouch of skin, you pretty much have to mourn that 'ideal' that you had.

Not sure if it makes sense. But yeah, I can put on the cutest outfit (I'm 38, I guess 'cute' is relative), but I'll still have that pouch I need to tuck in (I have one over my belly button too - stretch marks and loose skin). Sure, it beats having rolls all over, but I can't even tell myself that maybe one day it will be better anymore... now I know that it won't.

Had to get this out of my chest - obviously though it's still so much better than being obese! But it's not as awesome as I thought it would be.

I lost 80 pounds and was obese for 10 years though, had a bunch of stretch marks as well (which seems to attract loose skin and subcutaneous fat more), and I was 34 when I lost the weight, so there's that.

ETA: boobs look great at least.

Have you ever thought about surgery for the loose skin?
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    I am 5'2.5" and 125 so about your goal size! I started at 212. I would say people treat me the same. I do feel like I have more confidence. In the past I felt like people would judge me, like if I went jogging or went back for a second helping of pizza. It was in my head but it felt real to me. Now I try new things and don't feel that affecting me like before. I never had any health problems from my weight but I'm sure they would've come if I continued on that path.

I miss eating to excess but I enjoy being thin and heathy more. Most days anyway lol.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,832 Member
    Another thing ... air travel is better.

We fly quite a bit. When I was slender, for the most part I actually enjoyed flying.

And then they must have made the seats a whole lot smaller :wink: and I had trouble getting comfortable. I used to be able to partially curl up in a seat, but then, for a few years it seemed like I nearly filled the seat.

When I had dropped 15 kg (33 lbs) we flew for the first time since I started the mission to lose weight, and ... well, they must have widened the seats a bit :wink: I could almost curl up in them again. And now that I've lost 25 kg (55 lbs) the seats are quite comfortable again. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I want to add about the loose saggy stomach skin... it's a huge bummer. I honestly did not expect this at all when I decided to lose the weight - I actually really wanted to see what the 'thin me' would look like, and that was pretty much the end of a dream. It sounds stupid I know.. but when you're obese for 10 years and daydream about being thin, and finally get there, but you're still extremely self-conscious because of that pouch of skin, you pretty much have to mourn that 'ideal' that you had.

Not sure if it makes sense. But yeah, I can put on the cutest outfit (I'm 38, I guess 'cute' is relative), but I'll still have that pouch I need to tuck in (I have one over my belly button too - stretch marks and loose skin). Sure, it beats having rolls all over, but I can't even tell myself that maybe one day it will be better anymore... now I know that it won't.

Had to get this out of my chest - obviously though it's still so much better than being obese! But it's not as awesome as I thought it would be.

I lost 80 pounds and was obese for 10 years though, had a bunch of stretch marks as well (which seems to attract loose skin and subcutaneous fat more), and I was 34 when I lost the weight, so there's that.

ETA: boobs look great at least.

Have you ever thought about surgery for the loose skin?

I have way more important things to spend $15,000 on.
  • milamariejm
    milamariejm Posts: 23 Member
    There have been so many changes, but these are the ones that really have changed my life:
    I have more energy.
    I feel stronger.
    I am starting to feel more comfortable.
    I can find clothes that aren't the largest size in a store.
    I crave fruits and vegetables.
    I'm not tired all the time.
    I find myself craving exercise.
    My body feels sluggish and terrible when I don't eat properly.
    My skin is clearer.
    My everyday routine includes exercise and is more active.

I've had people give me a lot of positive feedback and ask me how I did it, how I can resist, and how I have had the determination, but I have also had some negative reactions from people which has been probably the most negative thing for me in this journey.