cutting out sweets

Options
2»

Replies

• KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I started my "journey" probably about 3 wks ago..you have just got to say no...i agree with cold turkey
  • katie22mfp
    katie22mfp Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Say no go cold turkey! I was a chocoholic now don't crave it at all!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Before you eat them, take a moment to consider. Two hours from now, are you going to be happy you ate it, or just hungry already and annoyed because it wasn't even that good? Work the sweets you truly want into your diet, skip the rest, and you'll find balance.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Just consider if it's really, really worth it. And I just stay away. Personally, having a "little bit" just leads to disaster. I've tried having a quarter of a donut... yeah, that usually leads to me having two of them.
  • critterbug15
    critterbug15 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yep. Too much of anything isn't good. Even too much water isn't good. Moderation is key.

And, sugar is not addictive. You cannot compare sugar to coke. *sigh*

Wow. I thought the effects of sugar on the brain were pretty widely known by nutrition enthusiasts. Some people can handle small amounts of sugar without additional cravings and some people can't. It depends on a person's chemistry. When you know that eating something triggers you to eat more of it, that alone should be evidence that there's a problem. Rarely do people binge on protein. Or binge on vegetables or even fruits. Sweet, carby and super starchy foods are common binge foods. They're foods that trigger a desire to overeat.

10 Similarities Between Sugar, Junk Food and Abusive Drugs

Evidence for sugar addiction: Behavioral and neurochemical effects of intermittent, excessive sugar intake

Different people have different nutritional needs and different composition that will work for them. If something triggers a diet fail, I'd say avoid it completely when it (sugar in the form of sucrose and various derivatives that are common in our sweet foods) is a nonessential nutrient. I'm not saying sugar is the devil, though it has few redeeming qualities in the lit, but it is helpful not to consume large quantities of it while on caloric restriction. Especially if it makes you hungry or makes you want more sugar. If the OP is someone who can consume a donut and be done with that and continue the remainder of their day in a healthy way, then it's really not much of a problem. But many people are not that way.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yep. Too much of anything isn't good. Even too much water isn't good. Moderation is key.

Wow. I thought the effects of sugar on the brain were pretty widely known by nutrition enthusiasts. Some people can handle small amounts of sugar without additional cravings and some people can't. It depends on a person's chemistry. When you know that eating something triggers you to eat more of it, that alone should be evidence that there's a problem. Rarely do people binge on protein. Or binge on vegetables or even fruits. Sweet, carby and super starchy foods are common binge foods. They're foods that trigger a desire to overeat.

Evidence for sugar addiction: Behavioral and neurochemical effects of intermittent, excessive sugar intake

Different people have different nutritional needs and different composition that will work for them. If something triggers a diet fail, I'd say avoid it completely when it (sugar in the form of sucrose and various derivatives that are common in our sweet foods) is a nonessential nutrient. I'm not saying sugar is the devil, though it has few redeeming qualities in the lit, but it is helpful not to consume large quantities of it while on caloric restriction. Especially if it makes you hungry or makes you want more sugar. If the OP is someone who can consume a donut and be done with that and continue the remainder of their day in a healthy way, then it's really not much of a problem. But many people are not that way.

Actually, people with BED can -- and have -- binged on high protein foods or fruits or vegetables.
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Actually, people with BED can -- and have -- binged on high protein foods or fruits or vegetables.

True that.... perhaps why they said "RARELY"...

I know I have binged on red meat before!!! YUM!!!
  • pcpop7
    pcpop7 Posts: 161 Member
    Options

That second link looks almost like a study until you actually read the words. It's all theory with no evidence. Are we calling that science now are we ?
  • canadianvampyregurl
    canadianvampyregurl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Finding it really hard to cut out some of the sweets I'm offered is there any tips to avoid them? I try, if I'm going to have sweets to go for the less calorie ones like low fat vanilla ice cream but there's always donuts at my school and there hard to avoid haha any tips?

Do your best to stay away from things that say "low fat" "low cal" "fat free" - you get my point. They are usually filled with extra sodium, artificial sweeteners. Just a bunch of nasty stuff. If you are going to have something, have it :) Have the good stuff. Work it in to your daily calories.

I don't believe that any food is off limits. Telling me I can't have something doesn't work for me and I won't listen anyway. It's all about choice. YOU choose what you eat.

Another thing that doesn't work for me is the word "cheat". It's has an awful connotation and I don't have those kinds of days. I eat really well almost every day and if I work something in to my menu, yay for me. If not, that's ok too :) Personally I think if you are "cheating", you are doing it to yourself and your health journey.

You are wonderful !!! You deserve good things !!! Instead of a kit kat, indulge in some Dove chocolate or Callebaut :) Don't set limits on yourself :) Be happy
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options

This post makes it pretty clear that the brain runs on sugar.