calling all antipsychotic users whp gained weight, please help

Options
Today I broke down crying. I only eat 1000 calories a day, exercise 6 times a week for an hour doing cardio, HIIT, and strength training. Over the last 1.5 years I have gained 45 lbs. I used Celexa for 1.5 years. I stopped the Celexa 3 months ago because I was fed up with the weight gain. I stopped gaining weight but I still can't lose weight no matter what I do. Right now I am eating 1000 calories average per day (staggering my calories, one day 800 another 1200). I am thinking of going down to only 400 to 500 calories a day and working out longer. I am pretty much going to eat a low carb protein shake for breakfast (150 calories), a small salad with only veggies for lunch (150 caloriez), and a 4oz piece of lean meat for dinner (200 calories). I know it sounds harsh, but honestly I can't lose weight . I feel like my metabolism has been slowed by this med. I actually had this happen previously when I took Prozac. While on it, I ballooned up 20lbs. I exercised and recorded my macros and calories as normal. I panniced and stopped taking the Prozac. It took about 5 to 6 months for my weight to start coming off. During the 5 to 6 months I had trouble losing weight after stopping I was in military Bootcamp. I was only allowed 3 small meals a day. I counted my calories. I ate mostly veggie salads because I saw the restrictions of Bootcamp and heavy exercise as a chance to lose the weight I gained. I didn't lose an ounce. So I am pretty sure the antipsychotics have slowed my metabolism. I have read of studiez saying that it is possible. Anyways, I can't afford to gain anymore weight so I am restricting myself to 500 calories and cooking all my foods. Anyone know of ways to speed up my metabolism so I don't have to wait so long to start losing weight? I am so depressed about being fat. It is really frustrating. I know 500 is low but it's the only way. If I gain anymore weight, I will be kicked out of the military.

Anyone know of ways to boost my metabolism? I only have 5 months to get this weight off. Thanks.

Replies

• sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Your post is concerning for a few reasons, the first being that Celexa and Prozac are antidepressants not antipsychotics. Perhaps you need to see a different doctor? All due respect, but 500 calories a day is a terrible idea, you will lose muscle mass and your internal organs, including your brain, will suffer. I do wish you all the best.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Kicked out of the military? This sounds mission critical to get help as soon as possible..

I think that a new doctor is in order here, and def get blood work done such as extensive metabolic panel, T4, TSH (thyroid), etc.. reevaluation of your medication and assistance with getting you educated on properly providing the right foods to nourish your body through loosing weight and training at bootcamp.

I do not think your own doctor would approve of 500 calories a day in order to live and function. You will burn out quickly if you do not nourish your body properly, and what is worse falling seriously ill (which you will have to leave the military) or being kicked out military?
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor. Starving yourself is not the answer and will cause you long term health issues.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh all your food? If not, there is a chance you are eating more than you think.

I have been on Prozac and depakote (now changed to lithium due to blood panels) for years. If I stay in my calorie goal, I have no trouble losing weight. The medications can make you have an increased appetite, but unless you are eating over maintainence, they can't cause weight gain.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Do you weigh all your food? If not, there is a chance you are eating more than you think.

I have been on Prozac and depakote (now changed to lithium due to blood panels) for years. If I stay in my calorie goal, I have no trouble losing weight. The medications can make you have an increased appetite, but unless you are eating over maintainence, they can't cause weight gain.

Yup I'm on Celexa (and have been on depakote but too much GI distress on it) and I haven't gained a lb
  • idreamskinny85
    idreamskinny85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I keep getting the you are eating too much comment. Well right now I am eating only 1000, so 500 is the next step unfortunately. I have researched the drug and weight gain is listed as a possible side effect. I have read Harvard studies that point to the drug possibly effecting metabolism, but noone knows why. I have had blood work done, joined a "fat camp" voluntarily in the military, seen a nutritionist, a personal trainer, and a doctor. My nutritionist and personal trainer have viewed my logs and encouraged me to eat more. I refuse because I know I will gain weight. I have read online people who have gone through exactly what I have gone through, but in real life the only one who believes me is my bf, who is a psychologist.
    I have been a gym rat since 19, only having trouble losing weight while on the two drugs.

The most frustrating thing is dealing with this alone. Again, is there anyone going through what I am going through? Please contact me. How did you restore your metabolism and drop weight?
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Do you weight your food?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Try 1,300 calories a day for a while. Too low sets you up for bingeing.
    I saw your diary before. It was a mess.
    500 one day, over 2,000 the next.

Again: Too low sets you up for bingeing !!!
    Be honest with yourself and others here.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Try 1,300 calories a day for a while. Too low sets you up for bingeing.

Seconding this
  • idreamskinny85
    Options
    Yes, i am honest. The weekly average is 900 calories. Some days lower, some higher.

quote="JanetYellen;36453456"]Try 1,300 calories a day for a while. Too low sets you up for bingeing.

[/quote]

• DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about another medication that is less likely to increase your appetite. (Wellbutrin comes to mind.) As for your diet - get a food scale and weigh everything. Please don't eat below 1,200 without your doctor's approval.

Does anyone have that video where they show a full day's meals measured versus weighed?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about another medication that is less likely to increase your appetite. (Wellbutrin comes to mind.) As for your diet - get a food scale and weigh everything. Please don't eat below 1,200 without your doctor's approval.

Does anyone have that video where they show a full day's meals measured versus weighed?

I take Wellbutrin and have lost 30 pounds over the last year and eat well over 1200 calories per day.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I keep getting the you are eating too much comment. Well right now I am eating only 1000, so 500 is the next step unfortunately. I have researched the drug and weight gain is listed as a possible side effect. I have read Harvard studies that point to the drug possibly effecting metabolism, but noone knows why. I have had blood work done, joined a "fat camp" voluntarily in the military, seen a nutritionist, a personal trainer, and a doctor. My nutritionist and personal trainer have viewed my logs and encouraged me to eat more. I refuse because I know I will gain weight. I have read online people who have gone through exactly what I have gone through, but in real life the only one who believes me is my bf, who is a psychologist.
    I have been a gym rat since 19, only having trouble losing weight while on the two drugs.

The most frustrating thing is dealing with this alone. Again, is there anyone going through what I am going through? Please contact me. How did you restore your metabolism and drop weight?

These drugs possibly increase appetite which can lead to weight gain. I did a search of peer reviewed studies and found many that suggest this, especially when the person had a reduced appetite due to their depression. I also tried to find these Harvard studies you mention, but could not find them. Do you have a link to the peer reviewed article written for the study?

You do need to eat more if you are indeed eating as low as you are saying. I will repeat what everyone else is saying. Make sure you are logging accurately. If this is indeed the case, you need to speak with your doctor.
  • oph296
    oph296 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It seems to be you are in starvation mode. Low calories and extensive training can shout down your thyroid function. Increase calories, stop counting them, add more fat and check your thyroid.
    BTW How tall you are? Your weight? Daily Macros?
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    If you eat 500 calories a day over time you'll not need to worry about the military kicking you out due to weight. They'll instead have to "kick you out" due to medical reasons. That is not sustainable. Your body will rebel.

I see you've answered a few questions here. But you haven't answered the most important imo.
    Do you weigh all solid foods to the gram with a food scale? Measure all liquids with cups/spoons?
  • oph296
    oph296 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Look, I reread your post more carefully. Don't worry first of all. It seems like you are stressing too much about it. You are not alone at this situation. I've gained some weight for last half a year. Despite me being on keto diet and heavy lifting 3 times per week. What you read about other ppl doesn't matter. Everybody is different in small details. Calm down and start learning. Experiment with your body and eliminate one by one every reason that sabotages your goal reaching.
  • idreamskinny85
    Options
    Yes I do use measuring cups and spoons. I just started cooking all my meals 5 weeks ago. I do not weigh my food. If I buy 2lb of chicken, I simply divide it into 8 equal servings and say each one is 4 ounces.
This discussion has been closed.