cheat meal

Options
Does anybody here have a cheat meal each week? Do you still log it? And does it derail your overall goals? I struggle the most on the weekends, I wonder if having one set cheat meal would help or hinder.

Replies

• Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I don't do a cheat meal per say. But if I know I'm going out with friends for a special meal that I don't want to have to restrict too much I bank calories the rest of the week. So I basically eat about 200 less (or more if needed) the first 4-5 days of the week so I can have extra calories for the meal out. I always log everything.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I usually have cheat meals on the weekend, if I eat like 2000-2500 calories (a day, not in one meal!) I'm fine and my weight loss does not get derailed, but if I eat more than that, I will usually see a small stall in my weight loss. It fluctuates and goes up for 1-3 days, but actually gaining weight from weekend cheat meals, no.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I don't schedule a cheat meal, but I tend to eat more on the weekends when I eat out more often. I try to keep my calories a little lower during the week to make up for additional calories I'll have over the weekend. I still log everything I eat even if it's just an estimate and try not to go too far over goal on Saturday and Sunday. So far this strategy has worked well for me. I also still eat what I want during the week, but in appropriate portions to stay within my goals, this way I don't feel deprived and it doesn't lead to a binge meal. You have to find what works for you no only for weight loss, but long term when you go into maintenance.
  • hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I used to have a cheat meal every weekend but then it became an obsession and id spend the whole week thinking about it and that mind set is not constructive.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    The whole "cheat" concept doesn't work well for me. Sometimes I eat more, sometimes I eat less. I don't set myself up with a specific goal to eat more on one day, but when the occasion arises (eg going out for a special occasion) I enjoy it, then aim to go back to regular eating the next day.
    Having said that - you need to find what works for you.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    There's a sausage mushroom medium pizza with my name on it once I hit my next goal, baby.

But in general I don't take regular "cheat" days or meals as a matter of course. It does seem to work for some people, probably not me.
  • kasparkid
    kasparkid Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I log everything, good or bad. Being able to track a generally very positive trend takes the sting away from days in which I choose to go over my calorie goal.