calling all antipsychotic users whp gained weight, please help

Options

Replies

• idreamskinny85
    idreamskinny85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    oph296 wrote: »
    It seems to be you are in starvation mode. Low calories and extensive training can shout down your thyroid function. Increase calories, stop counting them, add more fat and check your thyroid.
    BTW How tall you are? Your weight? Daily Macros?

My daily macros are 20% carbs, 40% fat, and 40% protein. I have had blood work done, I have no thyroid problems. I am 5ft8, and a whopping 189lbs.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Buy a scale and start weighing everything that you eat. Use the measuring cup for liquids if that is what it was designed for.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Yes I do use measuring cups and spoons. I just started cooking all my meals 5 weeks ago. I do not weigh my food. If I buy 2lb of chicken, I simply divide it into 8 equal servings and say each one is 4 ounces.

This is most likely your problem.

• oph296
    oph296 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It seems to be you are in starvation mode. Low calories and extensive training can shout down your thyroid function. Increase calories, stop counting them, add more fat and check your thyroid.

My daily macros are 20% carbs, 40% fat, and 40% protein. I have had blood work done, I have no thyroid problems. I am 5ft8, and a whopping 189lbs.

I would suggest add healthy fat to 60% and decrease protein to 20%. Try it for a week to see how it goes and how you feel. Don't weight your food and don't count calories. You are stressed enough already ;)))
  • idreamskinny85
    Options
    I keep getting the you are eating too much comment. Well right now I am eating only 1000, so 500 is the next step unfortunately. I have researched the drug and weight gain is listed as a possible side effect. I have read Harvard studies that point to the drug possibly effecting metabolism, but noone knows why. I have had blood work done, joined a "fat camp" voluntarily in the military, seen a nutritionist, a personal trainer, and a doctor. My nutritionist and personal trainer have viewed my logs and encouraged me to eat more. I refuse because I know I will gain weight. I have read online people who have gone through exactly what I have gone through, but in real life the only one who believes me is my bf, who is a psychologist.
    I have been a gym rat since 19, only having trouble losing weight while on the two drugs.

The most frustrating thing is dealing with this alone. Again, is there anyone going through what I am going through? Please contact me. How did you restore your metabolism and drop weight?

Look, I reread your post more carefully. Don't worry first of all. It seems like you are stressing too much about it. You are not alone at this situation. I've gained some weight for last half a year. Despite me being on keto diet and heavy lifting 3 times per week. What you read about other ppl doesn't matter. Everybody is different in small details. Calm down and start learning. Experiment with your body and eliminate one by one every reason that sabotages your goal reaching.

Well anything over 1200 calories makes me gain like crazy. 1000-1100 is my maintenance caloric intake. I had my body fat measured by a nutritionist and I am suppose to eat 1500-1800 for maintenance. I learned the hard way that eating that much makes me gain. I have tried plexus slim, thermogenics, meal replacements, heavy weigh lifting, alli, and not eating for a few days. No results. Not an ounce lost.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

I would suggest add healthy fat to 60% and decrease protein to 20%. Try it for a week to see how it goes and how you feel. Don't weight your food and don't count calories. You are stressed enough already ;)))

Not this!!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I keep getting the you are eating too much comment. Well right now I am eating only 1000, so 500 is the next step unfortunately. I have researched the drug and weight gain is listed as a possible side effect. I have read Harvard studies that point to the drug possibly effecting metabolism, but noone knows why. I have had blood work done, joined a "fat camp" voluntarily in the military, seen a nutritionist, a personal trainer, and a doctor. My nutritionist and personal trainer have viewed my logs and encouraged me to eat more. I refuse because I know I will gain weight. I have read online people who have gone through exactly what I have gone through, but in real life the only one who believes me is my bf, who is a psychologist.
    I have been a gym rat since 19, only having trouble losing weight while on the two drugs.

The most frustrating thing is dealing with this alone. Again, is there anyone going through what I am going through? Please contact me. How did you restore your metabolism and drop weight?

Look, I reread your post more carefully. Don't worry first of all. It seems like you are stressing too much about it. You are not alone at this situation. I've gained some weight for last half a year. Despite me being on keto diet and heavy lifting 3 times per week. What you read about other ppl doesn't matter. Everybody is different in small details. Calm down and start learning. Experiment with your body and eliminate one by one every reason that sabotages your goal reaching.

Well anything over 1200 calories makes me gain like crazy. 1000-1100 is my maintenance caloric intake. I had my body fat measured by a nutritionist and I am suppose to eat 1500-1800 for maintenance. I learned the hard way that eating that much makes me gain. I have tried plexus slim, thermogenics, meal replacements, heavy weigh lifting, alli, and not eating for a few days. No results. Not an ounce lost.

Inconceivable! You are not in a deficit!
  • idreamskinny85
    Options

Right now 800 to 1000 is my weekly average. Some days I eat 500, then one day I eat 1800. Each day varies but I watch my weekly averages for macros and cals
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

It's not looking like you're going to take any of the good advice that we gave you.

Maybe someone who has "fixed their metabolism" from the apparent extreme metabolic slowdown that the antidepressants gave you will let you know how they did it.

Until then, see a doctor as you're absolutely sure that you eat so few calories.
  • idreamskinny85
    Options

It's not looking like you're going to take any of the good advice that we gave you.

Maybe someone who has "fixed their metabolism" from the apparent extreme metabolic slowdown that the antidepressants gave you will let you know how they did it.

Until then, see a doctor as you're absolutely sure that you eat so few calories.

I am telling you what I have learned through out the year through trial. Sorry if some of your advice I have done and hasn't worked
  • RosieRose7673
    Options

I am telling you what I have learned through out the year through trial. Sorry if some of your advice I have done and hasn't worked

Again, see a doctor then. What else are you looking for us to tell you?
  • idreamskinny85
    Options

Basically looking for people who have gone through this like stated in the title. Seeing what they did to get through it. I am searching posts and messaging them. I mean I am not really sure what you want me to tell you. I am simply telling you my case and the list of things that haven't worked. I mean I have been at this for a year so I have tried quite a few things. That's why I was hoping to be contacted by someone who understood. Who went through it. But I will get the food scale to make sure everything is right.
  • RosieRose7673
    Options

Basically looking for people who have gone through this like stated in the title. Seeing what they did to get through it. I am searching posts and messaging them. I mean I am not really sure what you want me to tell you. I am simply telling you my case and the list of things that haven't worked. I mean I have been at this for a year so I have tried quite a few things. That's why I was hoping to be contacted by someone who understood. Who went through it. But I will get the food scale to make sure everything is right.

Good! I'm glad you're getting a food scale. Some people can lose just fine by eyeballing and others cannot eyeball things. That's a good first step.

Give the food scale a try. Weigh everything and log everything- including drinks. They can add up to be a lot. Stick to a reasonable calorie goal set up by MFP. Do that for a few weeks and evaluate from there.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options

I've been on a slew of different anti-depressants and didn't notice weight gain or metabolism changes with any of them. I like Wellbutrin the best. It's a little speedy, which helps motivate me to move more.

I was in the military and went through some of the same things - I lost a ton of weight in boot camp and gained it all back. I was in the "Chunky Chicken" program. That focused on exercise and I did lose weight. I did stupid things to make weigh ins the week or so before rather than focusing on my weight the other 51 weeks of the year.

One thing you haven't mentioned is drinking - a lot of my weight issues in the military were alcohol related. If you drink, how much?

What weight do you need to be for the military to be happy with you?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I had this problem --couldn't figure out why nothing seemed to work-- until I got a food scale. Then everything fell into place. For me, it really was as simple as that. I hope it is for you, too.

ETA: good point about drinking above. It all counts, so count it all.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    You seem 100% set on blaming the medication, even though multiple people have pointed out that the medication itself does not cause weight gain. Until you realize it is NOT the medication, there is very little anyone can say that can help you.

You do not weigh your food, therefore you are certainly eating more than you think. Outside a medical issue, if you are no losing weight, you are not in a calorie deficit.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    How tall are you , how much do you weigh- also have you tried eating only protein & veggies with NO processed foods?
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I was on antidepressants. ...before them I lost my appetite and when I regained it of course I put on a little....why did I gain because I ate too much....NOT because of the pills. Anti depressants are not for serious mental illness like phycosis if you require anti psychotics you need to see your doctor.
  • idreamskinny85
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I've been on a slew of different anti-depressants and didn't notice weight gain or metabolism changes with any of them. I like Wellbutrin the best. It's a little speedy, which helps motivate me to move more.

I was in the military and went through some of the same things - I lost a ton of weight in boot camp and gained it all back. I was in the "Chunky Chicken" program. That focused on exercise and I did lose weight. I did stupid things to make weigh ins the week or so before rather than focusing on my weight the other 51 weeks of the year.

One thing you haven't mentioned is drinking - a lot of my weight issues in the military were alcohol related. If you drink, how much?

What weight do you need to be for the military to be happy with you?

I only drink once every 3 weeks
  • idreamskinny85
    Options

These drugs possibly increase appetite which can lead to weight gain. I did a search of peer reviewed studies and found many that suggest this, especially when the person had a reduced appetite due to their depression. I also tried to find these Harvard studies you mention, but could not find them. Do you have a link to the peer reviewed article written for the study?

You do need to eat more if you are indeed eating as low as you are saying. I will repeat what everyone else is saying. Make sure you are logging accurately. If this is indeed the case, you need to speak with your doctor.

Www.drugsdb.com. search for Celexa

Mentalhealthdaily.com. search for antidepressants and weight gain

Http://www,health,harvard.edu/blog/antidepressants-cause-minimal-weight-gain-201406067202

Pretty much google celexa and weight gain or celexa and weight changes.
This discussion has been closed.