21 day fix opinions ?(food portion)

So I thought about trying the 21 day fix. I wouldn't buy the program tho I would just measure things out myself based off the measurements of the containers. Has this worked for anyone?

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Try calculating the number of calories you'd eat per a day on the program on MFP first.

If the number fits in your goal, then go for it. Personally, I am short and petite and the program actually has too many calories for me to lose on!

Good job not falling into the container trap and thinking to just do it yourself for free!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Buy a food scale rather than overpriced tupperware if you want to know how much you're eating.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    It can work, but I would try weighing and logging first, and only try the fix if MFP doesn't work out for you. (Calorie counting will work, if you do it correctly, because a calorie deficit is what makes you lose weight, but I understand that people are different in preferences and attitudes and life challenges, so any method that provides a calorie deficit will work.)
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    I have a couple friends who tried it, neither of them made it to day 21, and both are still overweight and jumping from one fad diet to the next :|
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    If you want to try the containers, you can find plenty of links online for free. Or you can just buy a food scale and keep things simple.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    IMO not enough protein and why spend money if you can do MFP for free? Just buy a $10 food scale... easier to use and you can use it for baking too...
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Spoiler alert!!!

It doesn't "fix" anything.
  • kacopithorne
    kacopithorne Posts: 2 Member
    Just use measuring cups and measuring spoons. Go on Pintrest and there are a million cheat sheets. I did it that way and lost 8lbs. So it's super simple to do and cheaper then buying the program.
  • kacopithorne
    kacopithorne Posts: 2 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Spoiler alert!!!

No but it helps some people learn proper portion control and is a great way to introduce clean eating to those who don't know how.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Spoiler alert!!!

No but it helps some people learn proper portion control and is a great way to introduce clean eating to those who don't know how.

So would a food scale and logging on MFP.

Which coincidentally eliminates the need to strive for "clean eating." Just stay under your calorie goal, get enough fat and protein and roll on.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Why? Is it that you don't want to log so are seeking an alternative? If so, I'd just focus on understanding serving sizes and how much you want to eat per meal based on overall goals/size. No need to put things in containers, which just seems a weird approach to me, so gimmicky.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Spoiler alert!!!

Which coincidentally eliminates the need to strive for "clean eating." Just stay under your calorie goal, get enough fat and protein and roll on.

Honestly though, if its effective and teaching someone, why not give it a try. People respond different to different methods and learning what works and doesnt work is part of this game.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    So I thought about trying the 21 day fix. I wouldn't buy the program tho I would just measure things out myself based off the measurements of the containers. Has this worked for anyone?
    I am doing this right now some people use equivalent measuring or they use a food scale. come join our group https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/113951-21-day-fix-new-group
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

It's portion control & calorie reduction.....so yes it would work.

21 Day Fix is basically a rip-off of the old Weight Watcher's Exchanges. The thing about WW is the plan was waaaay more flexible. 21 Day Fix has you counting 1/4, & 1/2 container nonsense when you create a recipe. Otherwise you are just eating individual "ingredients." I can't see eating that way as a lifestyle change.

My Fitness Pal gives you a huge database to log all kinds of food, that works too. Both methods are portion control.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    I think it's a good concept. Face it there are some people who are never, ever gonna weigh their food. If they can eyeball something and make a better decision then great for them. Not everyone here is going to compete in a fitness competition. Most on here are just everyday people. If they can put their oats in their little container and get on with their day and it makes them happy so be it.
  • Amyforfitnessmodel
    Amyforfitnessmodel Posts: 4 Member
    there are great free 21 day fix resources out there. the containers are used to teach you portion control and there are portion suggestions to make sure you are improving the quality of your nutrition.
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    I lost my containers a long time ago but still use the program. I know what the container equivalents are so thsts all you really need to use you own measuring cups. You don't actually eat out of the containers anyway, they are just essentially a visual guide color coded to an exchange program. 21 day fix meal plan is my go to. I have lost over 50 pounds on it in the past and it really does a great job at teaching people about clean eating, portion control and macronutrients in the most simplistic way.
  • kikkipoo
    Francl27 wrote: »
    IMO not enough protein and why spend money if you can do MFP for free? Just buy a $10 food scale... easier to use and you can use it for baking too...

The macros with 21 day fix work out to 30% protein, 40% carbs, 30% fat. That's pretty standard isn't it? What % of protein do you suggest?
  • kikkipoo
    Spoiler alert!!!

Clean eating is actually pretty relevant for some people who care about nutrition and not just weight loss. You can eat 1500 calories of junk all day, lose weight and be completely malnourished and unhealthy. The program itself is on point. The people who follow it just don't find it as "convenient" and give up.