How much fat is in your diet?

Options
avingers
avingers Posts: 29 Member
i've been seeing the lchf diet pop up here and there, and I'm wondering how anyone fits that much fat into their day, since fats are so high calorie. I'm ALWAYS super low on fat intake in my macros, always over on protein, and under in carbs. Though I do notice that when I have been really low on fat consumption, I crave avocados like crazy.
How much fat do you consume on the regular, and how much fat is really essential? I've had a few super active friends tell me that fats are really important, but for a person who's not a cycling junkie, how much is enough?

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I am for 30% fat or so. I eat more fat because it makes me feel more full. Maybe try increasing your macro % if you're interested, but it is definitely a personal preference.

It's not terribly hard- Eating foods like eggs, salmon, red meat, cheese, avocado etc can get your fat ratio up pretty quickly. I also don't eat low fat yogurt, sour cream, anything like that.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I find that when I dip below .3g per pound of body weight, I struggle a bit. Hormonally. So I aim for 50g now minimum, if I can get more-great. I have been trying to add some oil and avocado into my diet.
  • ipandicorn
    ipandicorn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Right now my goal is 60g, but since I gave up nuts, it's usually lower than 60g
  • SheLikesToLift
    SheLikesToLift Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I hover right around 75-80% fat, butter, coconut oil, fatty fish, eggs... Its around 120g per day
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    About 30% of my cals. 80-90 gram usually.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Also around 30%ish (65-75g), but that's not any plan or anything, that just happens. My only plan is around protein.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    about 100g a day, give or take.
    It's not that hard to get that much fat. Doing LcHf, it's kind of hard to NOT get it up there.
    For me it's super hard to eat chicken (don't liek dark meat) low cal, low fat AND it throws my protein to almost double for the day.

I watch carbs first, then protein and then I worry about fat.
  • ellsdemon
    ellsdemon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    60-70% for me. And staying right at calorie goal. Way less tired too.
  • dkginger
    dkginger Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    50g daily at 30%. I get most of my fats from nuts, avocado and natural oils.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm eating around 70 grams of fat per day. I tried for years on end to eat as little fat as possible, but failed miserably. I need food that tastes good and is appetizing. Now I get my fat from meat, fish, dairy, nuts and seeds, butter and oil. Cravings for junk food is gone, I eat a lot more vegetables and whole grain now, cook more from scratch, get in more variety overall, and I get full and satisfied by eating four regular, complete meals every day.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    My only macro that I actively monitor is my protein as I know that I can be low on that.
    That said my fats are usually in the 25-35% range
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat macros are at 35 and carbs at 30. Do I always hit those? No.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,548 Member
    Options
    I've never changed the MFP settings, thus it's at 30% fat, but on most days I eat less than that as I cannot digest fat properly and it ends up in the loo anyway. I do hope I never have to go low carb for medical reasons as I'd have a serious problem then.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I find that when I dip below .3g per pound of body weight, I struggle a bit. Hormonally. So I aim for 50g now minimum, if I can get more-great. I have been trying to add some oil and avocado into my diet.

0.3 g per pound of body weight is the recommended minimum.
    OP, see the threads to read sticky link and "setting your macros" link there or in my profile.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    No clue, I've never tracked macros and have only focused on calories. Lost over 50lbs, improved all my health markers and I'm now 3 years into maintenance. I like to keep this whole thing as simple as possible :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Roughly 50 grams, but I go over and under and don't worry about it.

With LCHF, fat is a percentage of overall calories, so that it's high cal doesn't really matter -- you take that into account when setting the goal. I suspect I'd find it unsatisfying since I tend to be a volume eater and unlike some I find fat completely non-satiating (I eat plenty of it because I enjoy it and it makes my diet overall more satisfying, though). However, apparently keto tends to kill appetite in many.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    The goal MFP gave me is 40. I'm usually above that without trying. I pay attention to calories and protein.
    I am not following a particular diet. I eat full fat dairy, butter, meats other than boneless skinless chicken breasts, nuts, cooking oils, peanut butter, coconut milk, eggs, condiments, salad dressings.
    My diary is public.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

0.3 g per pound of body weight is the recommended minimum.
    OP, see the threads to read sticky link and "setting your macros" link there or in my profile.

Exactly. Which is why I try not to go below, and why I get out of whack when I do :)

It's very easy for me to eat only 20g and sometimes less per day. I love high volume meals, veg, lean meat...Not good though.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Also around 30%ish (65-75g), but that's not any plan or anything, that just happens. My only plan is around protein.

Same here. MFP set my goal at 63g, and on average, I'm just a little above that.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I am looking at the report and it looks like I average around 50-60g fat, I don't consciously limit fat at all and thought it would be higher. Some days it is, some days lower.