New here, hoping for an advice

Options
Hey everyone!
I have just recently joined fitnesspal because I feel that im doing something wrong or missing something important in my diet but before I get to the main issue, there are a few things you need to know about me:
1- I'm a runner, I run about 4 times a week for 40-60 minutes
2- I'm 85 pounds, 4 ft 11
3- I'm a student at college
4- I eat about 1200-1400 calories/day and I weight all my food to make sure I'm not overeating, but I usually end up very bloated at the end of the evening.
5- I'm a vegetarian so most of my calories come from fruits and vegetables but they always make me feel uncomfortable even when I eat a small amount.

And that's what gets us to the major problem which is the bloating, I am usually bloated even if I eat little.
And I feel like I'm missing out a certain nutrient but I'm not sure what it is.
I would highly appreciate if anyone could help me out with tips or advices

Replies

• ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of listening to your body. If you are eating mostly fruits and veggies you are likely bloating because of that. The body can only push so much through, so fast. On top of that, some foods are known to cause bloating/gas. Broccoli, garlic, onions, etc. Sulfur type foods (some people don't handle sulfur foods well). You might want to reconsider the vegetarian thing and add in some lighter meat proteins (if that's all you want) to help balance things out. More protein=less fruits and veggies and likely a bit less bloating. Make sure you're getting enough water as well. But overall, listen to your body. Perhaps it can't handle the quantity of fruits and veggies you're giving it.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'll bet you get plenty of advices here!
  • hhazzouri
    hhazzouri Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Gluten intolerance maybe?
  • chimaerandi
    chimaerandi Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You need to see a doctor.

You are below the line for an anorexic BMI, and weight loss should not be a priority.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is around 16. You are very underweight. You should see a doctor as soon as possible.
    Also bloating usually means stomach or intestine problem. Again see a doctor.
    Please!
  • rungrycocnut
    rungrycocnut Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help, I made my diary public so you can see what my day usually consists of. Could you take a look and tell me your reviews?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help, I made my diary public so you can see what my day usually consists of. Could you take a look and tell me your reviews?

Like I said you need to see a doctor. You're starving yourself. You can't eat 900 calories a day. I don't know what you want to hear. You're eating too little, you weigh too little. You're posting on a weight loss forum. You probably have an eating disorder. See a doctor.
    If you feel good when I say that you weigh too little or you eat too little - see a doctor.
  • rungrycocnut
    rungrycocnut Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know that I'm underweight and I'm not planning on losing more, I posted here because I needed some tips to improve my diet and reduce bloating, I was hoping to find out what is making me feel uncomfortable and bloated most of the time, not weight loss tips.
  • shed77f
    shed77f Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the other posters who said a dr is your best source for advice like this.

There is a forum here for gaining weight. It may be you can get some good advice there on increasing your calories while alleviating bloating.
  • dschacke
    dschacke Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Fruit and veggies can cause bloating. You might want to try adding in some protein, like chicken.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    @dschacke she's a vegetarian...

However, make sure you're getting enough plant based protein. You can make it work, being a vegetarian and an endurance runner. Explore vegetarian protein powders (Vega is one), beans, tofu. And like the other posters have said, see a dr to at least rule out anything medical. :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Certain veg can make us bloat, perhaps too much fibre? but as others have said, go see you doctor, just to get things checked out. Carbs can also cause bloating.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    You are underweight and probably not eating appropriately, even for a vegetarian. I have a daughter your age and if you were my daughter we would be at the doctor today. A normal weight for you is around 110. You need to gain about 15 pounds at least.

Please, please take this seriously.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Another vote for see a doctor.

Based on your diary you need more protein and fat.

Add some coconut oil to that morning oatmeal for a start. If you don't like to eat large amount at one time then add another meal...protein shake w/coconut oil. You are at least 35 grams short on protein.

And if you need inspiration for meals check out Vegetarian Times online, or the magazine. Good magazine...I subscribe and I'm not vegetarian; just looking for inspiration to eat more veggies.